Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How do I stop once a decision to fire has been made?

@Jim Watson I wanted to reply, but I think that could be it's own thread.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    First time I shot a suspicious character before being sure he was an armed assailant gave me furiously to think.
    I have seen this, and it has happened to me (both been shot and shot people too early) in the last decade of participating in Southnarc's various FoF classes, and it caused me to also begin to furiously think!

I was quite shaken by a couple of instances. I truly value the FoF work I have been able to do with him and what it taught. It changed my perspective on many things I had "visualized" incorrectly for a long time. It also changed some of my training routine. I would expect lots of people with time in FATS and similar environments have experienced the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    First, thanks to @Angus McPhee and @Rich_Jenkins for their kind words.

My Defensive Pistol Skills class sounds just like what you are seeking. @Mobettadefense is a three-time attendee and multiple recipient of the Distinguished Esquire award. Also, here is a review written by another forum member @Robinson who attended the first iteration of this curriculum.

For a shooting class, we spend a lot of time on not shooting people. The curriculum stresses shoot/no-shoot decisions, target identification, and processing information. Oh yeah, it is a DQ on any drill/test to have your finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be there.

I hope to have another offering soon as this class has sold out the last four offerings. My classes are usually in Athens/Oconee or up 85 in Franklin County.
    Come take @jlw Lee Weems Defensive Pistol Skills class (any iteration) it will absolutely address your concerns. I had the same concerns after spending a lot of time working to improve my Bill Drill, Failure to Stop, etc... draw and fire drills. As I got smoother and faster with those drills (still no grandmaster by a long shot) I worried about getting into a habit of firing every time I drew the gun. Lee in addition to being my sensei is a bonafide Tom Givens disciple and heir. Lee maintains a central focus on helping shooters work to incorporate sound decision making and minimizing/mitigating threats to bystanders. I would like to believe that none of us will ever decide to draw a gun unless we are in a situation where deadly force is required but we all need to be able to recognize and to practice the decision making process of shoot/no shoot decisions. Lee works on that in every class and it is very valuable. Check out https://firstpersonsafety.com/ and come join us in a handgun skill class.
    Instagram @JuryTrialJedi

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    In my limited experience, you need FoF or cinema range work to break the habit of "The Stroke."
    First time I shot a suspicious character before being sure he was an armed assailant gave me furiously to think. Even though he WAS armed and would have become a threat very shortly in the scenario presented, I had not done the right thing at that moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have seen this, and it has happened to me (both been shot and shot people too early) in the last decade of participating in Southnarc's various FoF classes, and it caused me to also begin to furiously think!

I was quite shaken by a couple of instances. I truly value the FoF work I have been able to do with him and what it taught. It changed my perspective on many things I had "visualized" incorrectly for a long time. It also changed some of my training routine. I would expect lots of people with time in FATS and similar environments have experienced the same.
    Now picture doing that everyday, multiple times a day for real and not a video or FOF and no second chances or much learning through mistakes and you can see how much of my philosophy is shaped.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Haley Strategic has a simulator facility in Scottsdale, AZ. And a scenario-based program of instruction to go with it.

https://www.haleystrategictrain.com/...-scottsdale-az

Andrew Branca uses a simulator in his second day of Law of Self Defense class.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I cannot recommend highly enough Mark Quimby at Warrior Works. Don't let the 'warrior' in the name deceive you, he is a professional instructor for any and all scenarios and will tailor your training to what you need. I spent a day with him last year and plan to go again in March. A short drive to Birmingham and very reasonable prices for one-on-one training. He has access to a private indoor range so can set up for whatever you need.

Here is a link to his yt page so you can get a feel for his training philosophies and demeanor to see if you think it will be a good fit. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw1...2lacDa6QaJFiZQ

You can contact him through the yt page and he may even takes requests for training videos if there is something specific you want to see. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about training with him.
    Last edited by DC_P; 01-13-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    @blues mentioned a word that's making bells go off in my head: VIDEO
    Are there any scenario videos out there one could use with dry fire practice?
    Assuming one is honest with themselves as to whether or not they shot the hostage, I could see them being an interesting tool in the bucket.
    The range I tend to use, has a video projector training room. I gal I know went with her brother and took a school lockdown/shooting video class. She was very shaken up about it. I wouldn't be (been at knife and gun point back when I was in school, was not the least bit surprised at Columbine). Reminds me of the shoot, no shoot video's that used to be used and were part of the police academy at one point. Not sure if they are still used or if at all beyond the academy.
    Check with your local ranges.

Thanks for the help and all the suggestions guys. I feel like I have a direction now.

I'm not sure what options have been proposed as I didn't read the entire thread. Your best local bet is to touch base with Claude Werner, especially as you're in Atlanta.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List