Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do I stop once a decision to fire has been made?

First, thanks to @Angus McPhee and @Rich_Jenkins for their kind words.

My Defensive Pistol Skills class sounds just like what you are seeking. @Mobettadefense is a three-time attendee and multiple recipient of the Distinguished Esquire award. Also, here is a review written by another forum member @Robinson who attended the first iteration of this curriculum.

For a shooting class, we spend a lot of time on not shooting people. The curriculum stresses shoot/no-shoot decisions, target identification, and processing information. Oh yeah, it is a DQ on any drill/test to have your finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be there.

I hope to have another offering soon as this class has sold out the last four offerings. My classes are usually in Athens/Oconee or up 85 in Franklin County.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Aside from training with external sources, it is imperative to incorporate a certain mindset and practice in one's thinking process and dry fire practice.

You have to get used to the idea that drawing a firearm does not mean firing. Keep your finger off the trigger until you have determined that you must and will fire. Play scenarios in your head where you will have drawn your weapon and then de-escalate before putting rounds on the target (bad guy).

When you practice / dry fire at home, don't go immediately to the trigger. Draw the weapon and look at your intended target. Mix up your scenarios as you draw as to whether it is required that you shoot or not.

During the course of my career, I had many, many situations where my firearm, (handgun or long gun), was out and pointed at someone during an entry or an arrest. In several of those cases the threat level rose to the point of finger on the trigger and the application of pressure. In each of those instances where it was warranted...I was able to stand down without discharging the weapon when the threat and situation was under control.

Scenario based training, as recommended above, whether live or via simulated (video, FATS, etc) training will also go a long way to developing good mental and physical habits.

I can't stress enough, however, during dry fire training...not to go immediately to the trigger from the draw as it will ingrain bad habits imho. Put your gun on target and assess all the way through the process.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Thank you for all the suggestions. I see there is a lot to learn. That is why I asked here. I like the suggestions for local trainers as well. It would be easier to go to multiple local classes rather than occasional far away ones.

@blues mentioned a word that's making bells go off in my head: VIDEO
    Are there any scenario videos out there one could use with dry fire practice?
    Assuming one is honest with themselves as to whether or not they shot the hostage, I could see them being an interesting tool in the bucket.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 01-11-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    [I]"With all due respect to your coworker, please elaborate on "paramilitary training"./I]

Security contractors working outside the United States.
    Contractors don't get any high speed fighting training. They hire people who already know how to do the job. Which doesn't always translate into typical ccw role stuff.

OP, realistic force on force or time in a simulator is worth your time. My city has a place you can go to with an old FATS machine.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Contractors don't get any high speed fighting training. They hire people who already know how to do the job. Which doesn't always translate into typical ccw role stuff.

OP, realistic force on force or time in a simulator is worth your time. My city has a place you can go to with an old FATS machine.
    What he described sounded very offensive in nature, like advancing against an enemy. I do not want to buy ceramic body armor, night vision and all this other crap, I’m just a quiet civilian Who wants to avoid trouble, stay alive, and stay out of court. Your point is well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My city has a place you can go to with an old FATS machine.
    Do you have more details?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The NRA instructor at our local indoor range has or at least had (in the recent past) access to a FATS and other related equipment for providing instruction. I imagine that such training aids may be more generally available than one might otherwise assume.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    http://poseidonexperience.com
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

In my limited experience, you need FoF or cinema range work to break the habit of "The Stroke."
    First time I shot a suspicious character before being sure he was an armed assailant gave me furiously to think. Even though he WAS armed and would have become a threat very shortly in the scenario presented, I had not done the right thing at that moment.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List