Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I stop once a decision to fire has been made?

How do I stop once a decision to fire has been made?

As my draws and first shots became faster over time and more reflexive in nature I had this nagging doubt in the back of my mind that maybe they were becoming a bit TOO reflexive in nature. Like, would I be able to slam on the brakes and not shoot if the situation suddenly changed. Will my critical thinking skills still be working mid draw, or will I be a mindless robot that has to execute the command to fire irrespective of a sudden change in circumstances. This bothers me. It bothers me enough that I just ditched my last striker fired weapon and purchased a double action thinking that might be the solution. I honestly need much more than a new platform.
    I need training.

How do I find a trainer that can give me a total makeover and teach me how to build confidence in this area? Preferably with double action autos. I don't want to experiment or try and invent something new. I want to copy an existing proven system from a professional and then practice it until proficient. Hopefully with access to future training. I am motivated and teachable.

Sounds like the classic case of "outrunning your headlights". Many good posts here on that subject.

Have you been instructed by a vetted trainer before?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Why not just incorporate the need to draw and not fire into your practice?
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I have an opinion on this topic that may go upstream. Post this now so hopefully I remember to follow up when time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Sounds like the classic case of "outrunning your headlights". Many good posts here on that subject.

Have you been instructed by a vetted trainer before?

Never been instructed by a vetted trainer. Been putting this off for 3 years due to a round of health issues. Back on trac and working overtime to pay for it.

I am wary of instructors. I do not want to pay someone to unlearn what I just paid someone else to learn. Rather get it right the first time. Even if it costs more. The few trainers I met made me uncomfortable with their militaristic, battle field approach. I am not a police officer or a soldier. I honestly don't know how to vette the trainer. I have a coworker who does paramilitary training locally. He seems legit. Not sure if those skill sets are a good fit for me.s There is a LOT of stuff out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Why not just incorporate the need to draw and not fire into your practice?

My coworker suggested that. What a neat simple idea. He also wanted to do live fire with two colored balloons and he calls the color and sometimes changes the color after the order to fire. And then some other counting drill. There is so very much out there. Would love some one stop shopping. Just pay the money, show up, do the work and get fixed.

The real trainer is always gonna be you in your free time and the work will never end

You've already identified a potential change you'd like in your shooting. Train at it from multiple angles (different drills and such, you've already brainstormed some) and see if it's a real or perceived problem. If it's a real problem identify ways to fix it and occasionally retest yourself once you feel you've knocked it out. It's the same identify/practice/test cycle you'll use for literally everything shooting related you want to improve.

Nothin' to it, you're already past the part of recognizing something you want to polish up.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-10-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    Never been instructed by a vetted trainer. Been putting this off for 3 years due to a round of health issues. Back on trac and working overtime to pay for it.
    A better inquiry would have been "have they been mentioned on P-F"?

I am wary of instructors. I do not want to pay someone to unlearn what I just paid someone else to learn. Rather get it right the first time. Even if it costs more. The few trainers I met made me uncomfortable with their militaristic, battle field approach. I am not a police officer or a soldier. I honestly don't know how to vette the trainer. I have a coworker who does paramilitary training locally. He seems legit. Not sure if those skill sets are a good fit for me.s There is a LOT of stuff out there.
    There indeed is a lot of stuff out there. The AAR section of P-F may be a good place to peruse. Even though you aren't a soldier or LEO there are still many applicable lessons to be imparted, especially on the mindset/mental game. With all due respect to your coworker, please elaborate on "paramilitary training".

Would love some one stop shopping. Just pay the money, show up, do the work and get fixed.
    There is not necessarily a quick fix, as repetition and reinforcement is needed. Even a damn fine instructor can only impart so much over a weekend or a few days.

Lastly, I would have to second what @Peally offered. I think there is great value in practicing drawing with no intention to fire.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 01-10-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

[I]"With all due respect to your coworker, please elaborate on "paramilitary training"./I]

Security contractors working outside the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    A better inquiry would have been "have they been mentioned on P-F"?
    This.

Also, this:
    Firearms Training Hub
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List