Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How do I stop once a decision to fire has been made?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    My coworker suggested that. What a neat simple idea. He also wanted to do live fire with two colored balloons and he calls the color and sometimes changes the color after the order to fire. And then some other counting drill. There is so very much out there. Would love some one stop shopping. Just pay the money, show up, do the work and get fixed.
    Something I use is a buddy and a laser pointer. Three targets set up. At signal I draw and partner “ropes “ a target of his (random) choice. That’s the threat to be engaged. Sometimes he delays the mark and sometimes no threat is indicated. I engage until the threat is neutralized as indicated by an off laser. Or I don’t engage if no threat is indicated. Keeps me thinking and the shot is made deliberately and threat dependent rather than automatically. It’s at least fun if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    You simply need to be putting reps in at not shooting. Draws to ready, draws to on target but with a finger off the trigger. Returning to targets Post reload or malfunction clearance and not having a finger on the trigger. Using a timer and actually stopping at the buzzer, including if you are I. The middle of a press.
    I am of the opinion that a lot of folks practice shooting and are always chasing improvement shooting performance and very little time with use of force performance.
    Wayne and I have incorporated numerous drills and criteria into our drills to maximize shooting performance with some factors of force performance. It is often hard from both a performance standpoint as well as habit breaking from pure shooting performance aspects.
    This ^^^^^^^^ - Is why I recommend you train with HiTS (http://www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/) - Darryl's philosophy and the program that they run is good at teaching you control of a firearm beyond a basic "point, shoot, reload" framework.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    You sound like you want to do scenario based, decision heavy force on force classes as a supplement to your skills based training.

Something that puts you in the scenario with sims guns, verbal interactions, branching decisions in which you may or may not have to apply the bang switch, the training knife or the boot to ass...

If only someone did training like that...

http://shivworks.com/
    Concur. Shivworks curriculum will teach you what a square range or even a range with a timer won't. You're not only going to uncover your weaknesses, you'll figure out that scenarios don't play out as mapped.

___

In terms of drilling in "the brakes" - A dry fire timing/training app can randomize your routine and force the practice of draw without fire, on target, without fire, etc.

I like to use the TV, personally. While watching a show, I'll pick one or two characters that are no shoots. And then set the par timer for my dry skills. Timer goes, draw and start engaging targets, every individual that is a shoot gets blasted, those that are no shoots - don't get shot. If the timer goes off while no shoots are on the screen, with shoots not present, draw and press out, but don't shoot, sometimes a shoot shows up before your par-time expires and you gotta get back on the trigger and gun. Once you get into a rhythm no shoots can get harder or easier (depends on your decision making, along with timing).

User Tag List