Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK LEM Hammer Reset Issue

Site Supporter

HK LEM Hammer Reset Issue

My new P30 showed up this week. It has functioned fine in live fire, but the gun sometimes fails to reset in dry fire, just like the gun in this video.

The gun went back to HK this week and came back with “Gun functions normal.” There was a similar thread on HKPro, and HK replaced the hammer assembly according to the OP. The CS rep I initially talked to said this sounded like a problem, and emailed me a shipping label. 2 days later the gun came back with “Ops checks good.”

Something definitely seems out of spec, and I am not sure if it’s the hammer and cocking piece, or a spring issue. Thanks in advance!

@JodyH
    @Dagga Boy
    @GJM

I tried a HK45, 45C, P30, P30L, P2000, P2000SK and USPc.
    All reset the LEM trigger just beyond where the slide fully pushes the hammer down.
    The reset point on all of mine is when about half of the ejection port is exposed.
    There is a faint audible "click" when that happens.

As long as the reset happens within the amount of slide travel required to eject/feed I don't really see it being an issue.
    Might just be a tolerance stacking thing, but still within specs.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-10-2018 at 03:52 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    It may be that if HK says that it works during live fire, then it's ok. My guess is that shooting will wear in parts that may be experiencing tolerance stacking. I agree with the op when he feels concern, since for him to accept the pistol not working occasionally during dry firing is counterintuitive. I doubt that a Secret Service or FBI armorer would accept HK handguns showing this trait despite HK's official line.

Are you pulling the slide all the way back when dry firing and having this problem or just pulling it part way back?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Here is a YouTube video of comparing two P30’s with the new P30:

Any input would be appreciated!

Hammertime
    That certainly does not look right on the third pistol. Has anyone from HK seen this video?

Site Supporter
    Hk had the gun last week and said everything is normal. I made a video 2 days ago and emailed them a link with a description. They asked me for the serial numbers of the guns in the video and I am waiting to hear back.

I will probably make a follow up call to them on Monday.

If the trigger/hammer doesn't reset with full rearward slide travel every single time there's a problem.

My guess is the flat spring (sear spring) wasn't installed correctly or has an issue. It snaps down into a groove and can sucker you into thinking it's seated when it isn't.
    The other common LEM trigger install error is not getting the elbow spring in the proper place, but that results in a "floppy hammer" not hammer follow.
    Everything else can only go in one way with no room for error because if you err you can't install the next piece.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-13-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    They asked me for the serial numbers of the guns in the video
    Probably want to verify they left H&K as LEM's to determine whether the problem originated on their end or was a end-user install error.

Here's Todd's trials and tribulations with the sear spring.
    https://pistol-training.com/archives/3620

User Tag List