Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Sedan <$40k

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    That's not thinking that the rules don't apply, that's thinking that a particular rule is shit. There's a difference as the rules obviously seened to apply. The Christmas instance mentioned above wasn't an instance where folks who didn't live in that particular HOA insisted on rebelling against the man, it was people parking in a driveway. Where people typically park their cars. In a manner that allows people to leave easily while also emptying trunks and hatches into the garage.
    against the written rules that the homeowner signed when the bought the house.

But you're right, the rules don't apply to you because:reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    against the written rules that the homeowner signed when the bought the house.

But you're right, the rules don't apply to you because:reasons.
    Jesus, dude. My grandma, my dad, other uncle, stepmom, and family friend didn't buy the fucking house. They didn't sign the fucking agreement. Apparently there wasn't a briefing prior to our Christmas gathering in 1998 that was up to snuff with how one can and cannot park at my uncle's new house.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I also had never heard of them before moving to SE FL from N FL in 2001. I think you see them more in SE FL because when you don't have them things tend to go off the rails quickly. They are a product of the environment here. People don't want to live in HOA neighborhoods until they start shopping around for non-HOA houses and quickly realize that with only a couple of exceptions you either (a) live in a shitty area or (b) move further away from town. We took option B and are on 1.25 acres in NW Palm Beach County now. I personally can't wait to get back to town and am more than happy to deal with an HOA to do it.

Which is where the car question comes in. The neighborhood we'd most like to be in doesn't allow trucks of any kind. While I could go SUV, if I'm living in a neighborhood with a small yard, and an HOA to take care of things, an no workshop... I can't figure out what I'd want an SUV for. And we always have the wife's Pilot if I really think I need to go buy a new 80" TV or make an Ikea trip. I wouldn't "need" a truck, and having a car that would actually fit in the garage next to the Pilot is appealing. Right now I have a 2 car garage, an 800 SF workshop, and I still park outside! (granted, that's because the offroad golf cart is in the 2nd bay of the garage, and the truck wouldn't fit in there anyway, and the roll-up doors on the shop are manual an interior-open only and I can't get anyone to drive way the hell out here to give me a quote on motorizing one of them...).
    Makes sense, and yes . . . definitely a SE FL thing and all your assessments are spot on. Can't fault the logic either. Living in a house right now where I've got no requirement at all for a truck (yard care/landscaping is taken care of via HOA & landlord). In fact, if we were going to be here long term and the finances made sense on it, I'd have a Scat Pack R/T Charger or an Accord instead of the Explorer now. If I go back to Alabama and our old area, the Explorer will go bye-bye for an F150/Ram 1500/Tundra/Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Jesus, dude. My grandma, my dad, other uncle, stepmom, and family friend didn't buy the fucking house. They didn't sign the fucking agreement. Apparently there wasn't a briefing prior to our Christmas gathering in 1998 that was up to snuff with how one can and cannot park at my uncle's new house.
    Allah bud.

The owner of the house wasn’t there? It’s their issue. Their decision to buy the house, and up to them to let the guests know “hey, they’re going to give me a hard time if you guys park like that.

Rob,

If you must have AWD go test drive an SHO. They're amazingly capable cars for what they are and while the visibility is lacking somewhat, you can make up for that with the technology that they offer via the parking sensors, rear camera etc.

Even with 305 section tires on my 17 Camaro SS 1LE, i still step out in the rain if i goose it hard enough. Having said that, the traction control software in the car is absurdly good so unless im purposefully driving like a jackass, the car is going to stay planted.

This brings up another point. I know what you want and I know that you're mature enough to realize that most cars are faster than they need to be. This still doesnt stop us from wanting what we want and I get it and I support you absolutely 100% in this endeavor. Id have to considering I own a V8 Camaro (absurdly not practical).

The Ford SHO is everything that you want with a healthy dose of common sense slathered all over it. Its a sleeper of a car that will fit four adults, even five if the fifth is on the smaller side. Its got decent to good technology in it and they're actually amazingly capable cars. I LOVE our Ford Interceptor patrol vehicles even with their shortcomings for duty use.
    Last edited by Magsz; 01-13-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Xenu bud.

The owner of the house wasn’t there? It’s their issue. Their decision to buy the house, and up to them to let the guests know “hey, they’re going to give me a hard time if you guys park like that.
    Correct. That doesn't negate that the rule is shit, the nerd who came over to enforce it, while we were eating dinner, was also a little shit, and most people living in HOA's are scientology level fucked up. Though if you want the same mailbox, same front door, forced block parties, required flowers and shrubs, only white Christmas lights, limited choices in window arrangements, no motorcycles, then an HOA might be the way to go for you.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

This article had me looking at SHO’s a few years ago when I was in the market for a Dad-mobile:
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.roada...ho-looks-like/

I ended up getting a Volvo XC70 wagon . In fairness it does make 300hp and has all-wheel drive so it’s actually pretty fun to drive.
    Last edited by Xrslug; 01-13-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    This article had me looking at SHO’s a few years ago when I was in the market for a Dad-mobile:
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.roada...ho-looks-like/

I ended up getting a Volvo XC70 wagon . In fairness it does make 300hp and has all-wheel drive so it’s actually pretty fun to drive.
    Not a bad one. I really liked the Polestar V60 . . . it's one of those ones that I'd love to take for a spin if I went back to a sedan/wagon and had the budget for it.

Since @rob_s has me on ignore - but seriously, if you love your Cadillac experience so much, CPO CTS-V, ATS-V OR ATS Turbo (standard model ~35k, performance bits and pieces, Caddy dealership experience). http://www.cadillac.com/sedans/ats-s...SAAEgLMnPD_BwE

___

I have nothing polite to say about HOAs...So I'm done.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-13-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Speaking from personal experience here. When I had my learner's permit before getting my full on driver's license, the vehicles I drove were a '93 Ford Ranger with 3.0L V6, a 1978 Chevy Impala with a 350 big block V8, and a 1981 Buick Regal with an Oldsmobile 350 "Rocket" V8. My family paid $3000 on the Impala and while it was almost like trying to drive a boat, that thing was a beast along with the Regal. Both cars were bought privately and for no more than $3000 in functional order (though we did drop money to make them look pretty). I admit we lucked out and despite being a relative youngster on these boards at age 29, I appreciated those cars growing up. Solidly built, enough giddy-up when you needed it, and as long as the basic frame didn't rust out and you know how to swap out alternators and carburetors while doing annual checks on the piston rings, the cars would last a lifetime. As much as I like my 2014 Chevy Cruze, it just is missing the little things that allowed me to think of a car as my own. Those little things being the things I could take 45 minutes with an owner's manual and basic ratchet set and figure out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

User Tag List