Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is dryfire bad for a glock?

Is dryfire bad for a glock?

Hey everyone?

I assume this may have been covered, but i could not find anything searching the forums.

Is it bad for a Glock 19 to dryfire? If so, what products are the best regarding this?

Thank
    CP

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Glocks are 100% fine to dryfire. If you’re worried by a snap cap.

Dryfire or no, it’s still good to periodically check the tip of your striker for burrs or chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on how much you dry fire. Mr. White has broken several breech faces but he dry fires a lot. He now uses snap caps. Not sure which ones. If you search Glock broken breech face... It should give you some guidance.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

No but toss a snap cap in regardless. Doesn't hurt to have a bright red object in the chamber reminding you that the gun isn't loaded.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I always use a snap cap. If you do use snap caps just make sure to check them every so often. Repeatedly chambering some snap caps will eventually cause the extractor to chew up the rim.

Also some snap caps are made using a brass case mated to an aluminum bullet. I have had the soldering get pressed out while the bullet is pushed deeper into the case. This can create a sharp edge where the case and the bullet meet.

Look for the solid snap caps. I have had better luck with those.

Thanks for all the comments and advice!
    I will probably only do dryfire about once a week so not too stressed at the moment.
    I used to have a Gen 3 19 and did lots of Dryfire with it and it stood up pretty well!

Have any of you ever used a chamberguard for dryfire? I have one which has a small spring mechanisn at the base for the firing pin to hit? Is that OK?

If we're only talking once a week you're be totally and completely fine. The people that may experience problems are the ones churning out 200,000+ dry trigger pulls a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    It depends on how much you dry fire. Mr. White has broken several breech faces but he dry fires a lot. He now uses snap caps. Not sure which ones. If you search Glock broken breech face... It should give you some guidance.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Wow. I’m new to Glocks and was unaware of the breech face wear/failures. I googled it and was surprised to see so many distressing results. Although the consensus seems to be that it’s a relatively rare occurrence, I think I’ll stick to snap caps when dry firing and stay away from fast-burning powders and hard primers if I ever decide to start handloading for it.

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    Wow. I’m new to Glocks and was unaware of the breech face wear/failures. I googled it and was surprised to see so many distressing results. Although the consensus seems to be that it’s a relatively rare occurrence, I think I’ll stick to snap caps when dry firing and stay away from fast-burning powders and hard primers if I ever decide to start handloading for it.
    I wouldn't look too much into it, the internet tends to blow issues wildly out of proportion.

I dry fire a lot because well it’s free,and it’s still putting in work and good reps. For the amount of dry fire I do....they are pretty cheap insurance.

User Tag List