Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sellier Bellot: good ammo?

I've run about 1,000 rounds of it thorugh my 9 (Glock 17) without any problems or issues...never noticed any dye coming off and seems to shoot very clean compared to other brands.
    http://rvschooner.com

Speaking of S&B, I found their factory numbers for the 115 grain stuff. It is allegedly making 390 m/s at the muzzle, which works out to ~1280 fps for a whopping power factor of 147. In a minor cartridge that's pretty hot.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Speaking of S&B, I found their factory numbers for the 115 grain stuff. It is allegedly making 390 m/s at the muzzle, which works out to ~1280 fps for a whopping power factor of 147. In a minor cartridge that's pretty hot.
    Is that for *all* of their 115 grain? I ask, because my local indoor range carries it and sells it, and they don't like "high velocity" ammo because they are concerned about ricochets. I know that they are cautious about the .22 they allow, the .22 they sell is around 1230 fps max if I recall. Their comfort factor on speed seems to be around 1250 - 1300.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

I just ran their numbers for the 115 FMJ, I didn't look at the JHP.

Wow, definitely hotter stuff than I expected from budget-grade ammo! Good to know!

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

That's why I've basically narrowed my practice-ammo acquisition to S&B 115, Speer Lawman 124 and Federal AE 124 ball. Even if that S&B 1280fps ends up being presumptive of a longer barrel than that in my guns, I know that all of those have the kind of snap to them that does a reasonable job approximating my carry ammo, and at a reasonable cost. Something like 12k rounds of it over the last 2 years. No wrinkles of any sort, to date

Ammoman's had S&B 115gr for $229 delivered (currently $239, though....), SG often carries it, so do lots of other vendors. Though not at the vaunted SGA/Aguila bargain-basement prices some have been able to take advantage of, S&B can be found for what I think of as reasonable prices. Disclaimer: I'm single/unattached/no kids, so coming in under $.25/round, delivered, is plenty cheap enough for me, given that the alternative is basically garbage ammo. That said, if one can find it for less, it's absolutely worth jumping on it.

Ammoseek.com can be a big help, and for pretty much any brand/type one can mention: http://ammoseek.com/?from=resultspag....submit=Search

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    That's why I've basically narrowed my practice-ammo acquisition to S&B 115, Speer Lawman 124 and Federal AE 124 ball. Even if that S&B 1280fps ends up being presumptive of a longer barrel than that in my guns, I know that all of those have the kind of snap to them that does a reasonable job approximating my carry ammo, and at a reasonable cost. Something like 12k rounds of it over the last 2 years. No wrinkles of any sort, to date

Ammoman's had S&B 115gr for $229 delivered (currently $239, though....), SG often carries it, so do lots of other vendors. Though not at the vaunted SGA/Aguila bargain-basement prices some have been able to take advantage of, S&B can be found for what I think of as reasonable prices. Disclaimer: I'm single/unattached/no kids, so coming in under $.25/round, delivered, is plenty cheap enough for me, given that the alternative is basically garbage ammo. That said, if one can find it for less, it's absolutely worth jumping on it.

Ammoseek.com can be a big help, and for pretty much any brand/type one can mention: http://ammoseek.com/?from=resultspag....submit=Search
    Some time ago, I corresponded (via email) with a factory rep regarding velocity. Their ballistic data is based on a longer barrel (can't remember length anymore) and he calculated that from the 3.8" barrel of my CZ75 P-01, I would get about 1230 fps for the S&B 9mm 115 gr.

Site Supporter
    FWIW: Lawman 115g 9mm ammo is about 1200 fps, it feels quite snappy when compared to other target ammo.

So it's a fair statement to say that those of us with a 4.25" barrel are approaching, if not fully attaining, the advertised 1280....sweet.

Yeah, I'll buy the hell out of Lawman 115gr, too.

Also RE: S&B...it's a bit silly, but I also like the smaller boxes they use.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    FWIW: Lawman 115g 9mm ammo is about 1200 fps, it feels quite snappy when compared to other target ammo.
    I shot a bunch of that last year at Bianchi Cup. It was pretty snappy in my P250, but the trade-off was that it was extremely accurate for regular FMJ ammo.

User Tag List