Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sellier Bellot: good ammo?

I ran about 1k of S&B through my guns last year, for a while Surplus Ammo (which is semi-local) had screamin' good deals on cases of the stuff so a lot of the local IDPA/USPSA guys were shooting it. The only complaint I ever heard was that it was loaded pretty hot for 9mm, but for 99.9% of the population that's not going to be a real issue.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Other than the fact that the primers are harder than woodpecker lips, I've never had a problem with it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Other than the fact that the primers are harder than woodpecker lips, I've never had a problem with it.
    Actually, that reminds me - I couldn't get reliable ignition on .45 ACP S&B with my 625, even though I had the action set up to reliably crack primers on pretty much anything. I also seem to remember some light primer hits with an XD or something, but that was a long time ago, before I kept good logs.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Actually, that reminds me - I couldn't get reliable ignition on .45 ACP S&B with my 625, even though I had the action set up to reliably crack primers on pretty much anything. I also seem to remember some light primer hits with an XD or something, but that was a long time ago, before I kept good logs.
    We tried to keep S&B on hand in gunsmithing for just that reason: If a gun'll bust a cap on S&B, it should light off anything.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    We tried to keep S&B on hand in gunsmithing for just that reason: If a gun'll bust a cap on S&B, it should light off anything.
    Good to know and goes to show that those guys were were telling me I could use an Elite 1 hammer with a "D" spring on my Beretta were wrong

Try it first. If it lights the primer, it's good. Even if you get 95% ignition, it's still pretty decent practice ammo.

Our dept used to get S&B ammo in 45. I never saw a problem with it in many thousands of rounds. We switched to Fiocchi and I have seen a few more stoppages that are unexplained. Also, Fiocchi has put small primers in their 45 cases, which aren't standard for reloaders when we try to sell our brass.

Quote Originally Posted by smithjd View Post
    Also, Fiocchi has put small primers in their 45 cases, which aren't standard for reloaders when we try to sell our brass.
    Best I can tell, this is the wave of the future in our Brave New World.

Federal Champion also uses small pistol primers in their .45 ACP as well. I remember when I popped a case open of it and my initial reaction was to do a double take, because I thought I had a box of .40 instead.

I got some CCI Blazer brass case .45 mixed in with my .45 brass at the range a while back. Discovered it was small primers while I was running it through my press. I thought it was .45 GAP at first.

As for S&B ammo, I like it. I originally started using it in 9mm Makarov. I have bunches of it in 9mm (115 and 124 grain) and .45 ACP as well as a couple of rifle calibers. I have always found it to be clean, reliable and loaded hot. Better than a lot of other ammo in its price range.

User Tag List