Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need(want) a bolt gun.

Just to throw my $0.02 in, It appears that he Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor is available for just under $1000.00 on the open market. https://grabagun.com/ruger-precision...d-20-10rd.html

At 10.7 pounds and getting excellent reviews, might it not be a good option for a do-it-all rifle?
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Great point, and I would add that, given the OP’s desire to hunt and compete with the same rifle, the most important feature of this rifle is likely to be weight. All-in weight, including rifle, scope, possibly bipod. A lot has to do with what “hunting” means to the OP; terrain, altitude, carrying the rifle all day? The CTR is a heavy rifle, not just because of the medium-heavy barrel, but because of the steel bottom metal/DBM system; those mags are heavy (and expensive). I would far rather shoot a match with my Tikka LW than hunt with my CTR.
    Now this is interesting. Do you think the LW barrel isn't that much of a detriment? The 20" CTR is only 7.5 lbs. Throw on a ~20oz scope, rings, sling, and you have a 9lb rifle which doesn't sound terrible. Bipods are removable, so it's not like I'd hike around with one attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    Just to throw my $0.02 in, It appears that he Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor is available for just under $1000.00 on the open market. https://grabagun.com/ruger-precision...d-20-10rd.html

At 10.7 pounds and getting excellent reviews, might it not be a good option for a do-it-all rifle?
    10.7 lbs is hefty before optics and a sling. I considered trying to find a LW 18-20" aftermarket barrel but that blows the cost way up.

Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor, and get a shorter barrel if you’re worried about weight. For a reference, I have a 6.5 Creed with a 21” barrel, and like you I usually have a 600 yards max (when I am even able to go.)

Factory Hornady 120 ELD-M ammo with a MV of 2910fps:

Factory Hornady 140 ELD-M, with a very modest MV of 2680fps:

Note that the superior BC of the 140’s is already getting you some advantage with wind calls by 600 yards, even at much slower speeds out of a short barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    This is an extremely financially dangerous rabbit hole you're looking down. If you listen carefully, you'll hear my voice coming from way down there, some where...

The only thing a bolt action hunting rifle shares in common with a bolt action precision rifle is the bolt action. Trying to do both with a single rifle results in a rifle that does neither particularly well.

Good luck, have fun (it is a blast!) and hold on to your wallet.
    I completely agree with this and have found it to be the case. The things that make a bolt gun great for hunting and what precision competition shooters/snipers look for now are two different things. When you get into hunting you want fast, lightER, and handy as I'm sure you know already OP. I think your best bet is not to look for a do it all rifle, but find a round that you're able to use for both. I think 6.5 is a solid choice. I did the same thing a while back with .308. Because I was a poor E4 back in the day, and 6.5 was being whispered about. If I could do it all again for bolt guns I would get the 6.5. I might do it later, but the wife and I are heavily invested in .308/5.56.

So what I would do is, find a bolt gun that will fit your immediate needs. Either hunting or precision shooting first. Then get the other one. I usually get the more expensive setup first, because life happens far too often. There's more money in that idea, but you'll have two rifles already setup for each discipline. Time behind the round to know what it will do and what you can expect out of it. And a knowledge of what you'll need for your next build once you get the first one set. Sniping and LRP is not like it used to be back in the day. Where you get the same R700 and push it out with hand loads. It has become tactical timmy's paradise. Which I've voluntarily fallen victim to myself. Which also means if you're not up with the gear/times you're already at a disadvantage. You'll be able to get the hits, but it will be harder for you.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Now this is interesting. Do you think the LW barrel isn't that much of a detriment? The 20" CTR is only 7.5 lbs. Throw on a ~20oz scope, rings, sling, and you have a 9lb rifle which doesn't sound terrible. Bipods are removable, so it's not like I'd hike around with one attached.
    Admittedly, this is an individual choice, based on a number of factors. If hunting means sitting in a deer stand, rifle weight is not an issue, but if you’re mountain hunting, a difference of a pound can be huge. My 6.5CM, 20” CTR with scope, sling and empty mag weighs 9.7 lbs. My personal target for all in weight of my hunting rifle has been 8 lbs; my all-time favorite rifle is a good example; Brockman pre-64 Model 70 .30-06 with Leupold 2.5-8:

Name:  m70 - 1.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  57.1 KB

These days, I prefer lighter rifles; this Tikka T3 .270 with Leupold 2.5-8 weighs 7 lbs:

Name:  t3 - 1.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  51.9 KB

This Dakota 76 300 WM was 9 lbs; hunting in the heat and mountains of Namibia, I would have liked it to be a couple of pounds lighter, and it’s gone back to Brockman for weight-reduction surgery.

Name:  d76 - 1.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  48.0 KB

Anyway, my earlier comment that I’d advise a lighter do-it-all rifle is just opinion. Perhaps you plan a little hunting and a lot of PRS, maybe you’re fine with carrying a 10 lb rifle. If that’s the case, the CTR is a great rifle.

If this is a one-time hunt then go with the light, handy option for now. You can whack at range all you want. Most action precision matches encourage people to come out and shoot with their deer rifle. Worst case you sell the Lite, lose a little rental money and put the money toward what you find you want. Even a rebarrel is possible - KRG Bravo and forthcoming Grayboe Ridgeback make for some interesting, affordable stock options. Do the homework on barrel lugs, T3 vs T3x and such.

Personal take: If I'm lugging around an 11-14lb rifle it better be in a caliber with some ass. That's one reason I sold my FN SPRs. That new Ruger LRT 300WM is interesting, supposedly under $1k. Slippery slope puts a Tikka T A1 in consideration with a possible magazine advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post

I have not handled one of these, but the last American Rifleman had a review. I am intrigued. Lighter than my surgeon. Not quite as accurate, but for the price? 6.5 all the way.

Check out the Winchester XPR rifles. They are solidly built rifles and for a hunting gun all they really need is a scope and a sling. I have one in 6.5 and it easily outshoots my heavy barreled Remington 700 in 260. These guns are going pretty cheap, I believe around $350-$400 at CDNN.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    These days, I prefer lighter rifles; this Tikka T3 .270 with Leupold 2.5-8 weighs 7 lbs:

Name:  t3 - 1.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  51.9 KB
    I like that setup in .260R on the T3 action; T3X makes it a 6.5 CM:

CAT CODE MODEL CALIBER RATE OF TWIST BARREL MSRP
    JRTXSL16 T3x SUPERLITE CAMO 308WIN 11" 22.4" $929
    JRTXSL18 T3x SUPERLITE CAMO 270WIN 10" 22.4" $929
    JRTXSL20 T3x SUPERLITE CAMO 30-06 11" 22.4" $929
    JRTXSL70 T3x SUPERLITE CAMO 7MMRM 9.5" 22.4" $929
    JRTXSL82 T3x SUPERLITE CAMO 6.5CM 8" 24.3" $929
    JRTXSL31 T3x SUPERLITE CAMO 300WIN 11" 24.3" $929
    -----------------------------------------