Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need(want) a bolt gun.

I need(want) a bolt gun.

Bonus time is around the corner, so I'm putting together a plan on how I'll spend it this year.

I want a bolt gun. I want it to crossover between hunting duty and local LR competitions. I want to shoot steel at 1000 yards. I want the rifle to cost less than $1000, but preferably under $800.

My thoughts right now are Tikka CTR or Howa 1500. I'd prefer to buy and shoot it in the factory config for a while.

I was all hot on the 6.5 Creed at first, but I'd be willing to go .308. Realistically most ranges here are 600 yards max, and I have to drive a long way to crack 1000.

I generally want to get better at shooting small things at long distance and everything associated with that(ranging, wind calls, etc). I also want a rifle/caliber that would work, if needed, for hunting big game out west(the opportunity may come up in the next 18 months).

So, thoughts?

Been down that path. 6.5 CM will do everything a 308 will and better. You may NEVER shoot over 600 but the option is there. Shoot I still would take the 6.5 inside 600.

That said I have a 16" barrel Tikka CTR 308 for sale right now When I sell it I will be 100% all 6.5 CM for bolt guns.

I would go 6.5. Unless you are planning to shoot subsonics a lot would be my only feather in the cap of the 308.

Tikka 6.5.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Tikka 6.5.
    Would you go CTR or Lite?

ETA:. There is a $3-400 price difference which helps with glass or ammo.

I have an NXS 2.5-10 which may go on it. Or I may try to find a cheap SWFA 3-15 to use as a placeholder.

Ultimately I'd like to put another 2.5-10 NXS on it,but the x42 and MilR version
    Last edited by littlejerry; 01-08-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    A Tikka CTR in 6.5 is the shizzle

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Following.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Would you go CTR or Lite?

ETA:. There is a $3-400 price difference which helps with glass or ammo.

I have an NXS 2.5-10 which may go on it. Or I may try to find a cheap SWFA 3-15 to use as a placeholder.

Ultimately I'd like to put another 2.5-10 NXS on it,but the x42 and MilR version
    Lookie here!

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....e-big-cost-gap
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I want a bolt gun. I want it to crossover between hunting duty and local LR competitions. I want to shoot steel at 1000 yards. I want the rifle to cost less than $1000, but preferably under $800.
    This is an extremely financially dangerous rabbit hole you're looking down. If you listen carefully, you'll hear my voice coming from way down there, some where...

The only thing a bolt action hunting rifle shares in common with a bolt action precision rifle is the bolt action. Trying to do both with a single rifle results in a rifle that does neither particularly well.

Good luck, have fun (it is a blast!) and hold on to your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The only thing a bolt action hunting rifle shares in common with a bolt action precision rifle is the bolt action. Trying to do both with a single rifle results in a rifle that does neither particularly well.
    Great point, and I would add that, given the OP’s desire to hunt and compete with the same rifle, the most important feature of this rifle is likely to be weight. All-in weight, including rifle, scope, possibly bipod. A lot has to do with what “hunting” means to the OP; terrain, altitude, carrying the rifle all day? The CTR is a heavy rifle, not just because of the medium-heavy barrel, but because of the steel bottom metal/DBM system; those mags are heavy (and expensive). I would far rather shoot a match with my Tikka LW than hunt with my CTR.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Best deal going from one of the best gun shops in the country.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/5857643
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List