Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jody's 43 round test

Alright, so now that I'm back at my desk and not posting from a tablet, here's what I did with this drill.

I shot it twice, my set up was the same both times: Gen4 Glock 21, 230 grain Tula steel cased ammo, Comp-Tac paddle holster, Shibumi tactical mag pouches, concealed under a fleece vest. The first time I shot it cold, I swapped out my carry ammo for my practice ammo and shot it.

I shot the 43 round version both times, and based my scores off a max 215 possible. I've broken it down by the strings of fire:
    Cold Run
    • String 1 - Overtime shot, 0 points
    • String 2 - Overtime shot, 0 points
    • String 3 - 2 alfa, 10 points
    • String 4 - 2 alfa, 10 points
    • String 5 - Overtime shot, 0 points
    • String 6 - 5 alfas, 1 charlie, 27 points
    • String 7 - 4 alfas, 20 points
    • String 8 - 3 alfas, 1 charlie, 17 points
    • String 9 - 4 alfas, 20 points
    • String 10 - 3 alfas 1 charlie, 17 points
    • String 11 - 9 alfas 3 charlie, 51 points
    • Total score: 172

After using that as my warm-up, I immediately reset and shot it again.

Warm run
    • String 1: 1 alfa, 5 points
    • String 2: 2 alfa, 10 points
    • String 3: 1 alfa 1 charlie, 7 points
    • String 4: 2 alfa, 10 points
    • String 5: 1 alfa 1 charlie, 7 points
    • String 6: 6 alfa, 30 points
    • String 7: 4 alfa, 20 points
    • String 8: 4 alfa, 20 points
    • String 9: 4 alfa, 20 points
    • String 10: 3 alfa 1 charlie, 17 points
    • String 11: 10 alfa 2 charlie, 54 points
    • Total: 200

Thoughts
    The par times on the head shot strings seemed very tight. Almost as though the test was designed by someone who carries appendix and has a faster first shot than someone drawing from beneath a vest. I had to push my draw right to the edge to get the hits under time, and in one case was saved by the grace of the large bullet diameter.

Conversely, the par times for the reload strings seem far too long, I was usually done with those strings in around 3.5 seconds. I noticed this same trend on the 99 Drill, and I have to chalk it up to the appendix carry thing again, where it's harder to get a fast reload from under a closed front shirt than it is under a vest.

From an IDPA competition standpoint, I could definitely add something like this to my practice regimen, as it forces me to do things I'm not comfortable with, such as make head shots under tight par times.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

JodyH's 40 round test:

Shot from full concealment, hands relaxed at sides.
    3 IDPA or IPSC targets spaced 3' apart, 7 yards from shooter (T1 - T2 - T3)
    40 rounds, 200 possible points.
    Scoring: IDPA -0=5 -1=3, IPSC A/B=5 C=2, Overtime for a string equals zero points for that string.
    [snip]
    That looks like a lot of fun---and some good diagnostic indicators for various skills. I'll have to try that sometime soon, as long as we don't get the foot+ of snow that may be coming this weekend.

Nice test!

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Alright, so now that I'm back at my desk and not posting from a tablet, here's what I did with this drill.

Thoughts
    The par times on the head shot strings seemed very tight. Almost as though the test was designed by someone who carries appendix and has a faster first shot than someone drawing from beneath a vest. I had to push my draw right to the edge to get the hits under time, and in one case was saved by the grace of the large bullet diameter.

Conversely, the par times for the reload strings seem far too long, I was usually done with those strings in around 3.5 seconds. I noticed this same trend on the 99 Drill, and I have to chalk it up to the appendix carry thing again, where it's harder to get a fast reload from under a closed front shirt than it is under a vest.

From an IDPA competition standpoint, I could definitely add something like this to my practice regimen, as it forces me to do things I'm not comfortable with, such as make head shots under tight par times.
    My last run I had 2 OT strings.
    String 2: (1 per head on the outside targets) was over by .09
    String 8: I completely FUBAR'd a reload including trying to stuff my shirt into the mag well.

I agree the reload strings are too generous, I'm probably going to lower it to 4 sec.

I tried making the pars really tight to help me break out of the 100% Alpha mindset into a faster Alpha/Charlie IPSC mindset.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-02-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Sweet drill and way over my pay grade, but I will keep it on my calendar for 2013 or just lower the bar this year. Any suggestions for a guy who draws and reloads both hover on average around 2.00-2.15 from a CompTac straight drop under an open jacket??

One other quick question, since I have not stepped into the competition arena yet, is this a 7 yard drill?

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Sweet drill and way over my pay grade, but I will keep it on my calendar for 2013 or just lower the bar this year. Any suggestions for a guy who draws and reloads both hover on average around 2.00-2.15 from a CompTac straight drop under an open jacket??

One other quick question, since I have not stepped into the competition arena yet, is this a 7 yard drill?
    Yes 7 yards.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Ran this twice the other day. 155 on the first run, 168 on the second. Really wanted to do better, but that’s what I did. I had the first run all clean and all under time until about 2/3 of the way through and went over time on a four shot string, blowing 20 points. It went downhill from there. Did a bad job allowing the first screw up to unsettle me and then committed even more errors. Second run was a little better, no overtime strings, but shot a little bit sloppy. Didn’t do a good job making the head shots on the pseudo-presidente string on either run, and lost a lot of points there. Overall I did a poor job of PAR time management, getting done under time but dropping points. I want to try this one again when I get the chance.

Thanks for posting this Jody. I like it and will try it again sometime and post my results.

User Tag List