Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Streamlight TLR-7

Is there a compelling reason to change the switch? The rocker-type activation on the TLR 1-4 series lights is by far the best light mounted switch on the market, IMO. It is very positive, easy to manipulate with the firing or support hand, and the TLR-1, in particular, is an extremely robust light. The switches on the Surefire are second and the APL is a distant third.

FYI - for sure confirmed it runs a CR123 - https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...il/index/tlr-7 - Which is at least good news, switching to a CR2 would be silly.

https://youtu.be/bJnDf2x4C-A

Another review...

The one thing I heard, past 20:00, was something along the lines that he talked to an engineer from Streamlight... and something about it may have been designed to be modular (nothing specific past that). The reviewer mentioned he would think the back switch section could be removed with the three screws, and maybe a different switch setup could be used. Nothing official, and while it seems smart, they also could be talking about bezels for modularity (make a larger weapon light, with higher Lumens?). Just something to note... could be utter BS, but I’d be way more interested if they gave an option for different switches. And I’d probably have one of each to see what works the best for me.

One thing that was clear from the video, February ship date. [emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Is there a compelling reason to change the switch? The rocker-type activation on the TLR 1-4 series lights is by far the best light mounted switch on the market, IMO. It is very positive, easy to manipulate with the firing or support hand, and the TLR-1, in particular, is an extremely robust light. The switches on the Surefire are second and the APL is a distant third.

FYI - for sure confirmed it runs a CR123 - https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...il/index/tlr-7 - Which is at least good news, switching to a CR2 would be silly.
    If i could get the super easy toggle of the the TLR series, with the x300 set up (toggle in any direction for constant, push in for momentary), it would be pure money. I really like the x300u switchology, the switches themselves are stupidly stiff though.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic_RT View Post
    If i could get the super easy toggle of the the TLR series, with the x300 set up (toggle in any direction for constant, push in for momentary), it would be pure money. I really like the x300u switchology, the switches themselves are stupidly stiff though.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I like the TLR-1 through 4 but I like the way the Surefire works. I also like the price of the TLR-1 more than the Surefire X300.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic_RT View Post
    In my experience, I think the TLR-1 switching is the best as well. I’m not crazy about he push forward momentary on the x300 bc it’s nearly impossible to do with a strong firing grip and you’ll immediately lose the light activation under recoil.

With the TLR-1, you can hold the gun with a solid two handed firing grip and hold the switch in the momentary on position with your support hand thumb even through recoil. As soon as you break your firing grip to move, reload, or clear a malfunction, the light goes off. Obviously, this only works for right handed shooters. I can do the same thing with the x300, except I have to consciously break my firing grip to turn the light off for any movement or weapon manipulation. With this new design (similar to apl), you’d also likely lose the momentary under recoil, so you’re better off tapping the light into constant on and back off again as needed.
    Last edited by Gio; 01-21-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    In my experience, I think the TLR-1 switching is the best as well. I’m not crazy about he push forward momentary on the x300 bc it’s nearly impossible to do with a strong firing grip and you’ll immediately lose the light activation under recoil.

With the TLR-1, you can hold the gun with a solid two handed firing grip and hold the switch in the momentary on position with your support hand thumb even through recoil. As soon as you break your firing grip to move, reload, or clear a malfunction, the light goes off. Obviously, this only works for right handed shooters. I can do the same thing with the x300, except I have to consciously break my firing grip to turn the light off for any movement or weapon manipulation. With this new design (similar to apl), you’d also likely lose the momentary under recoil, so you’re better off tapping the light into constant on and back off again as needed.
    Almost exactly my experience of TLR-1/2 compared to the X300.

I, personally, do not care for the "push anywhere for momentary, approach of the Surefire. My primary issue there being the sensitivity (or lack there of, at times) of the "push for momentary" and also that I do not have particularly long fingers such that it's a stretch to reliably activate an X300 on a G19-sized gun (with my strong hand) and impossible on a G17-sized gun. By contrast, no problems activating the TLR-1 rocker switch in momentary or constant on a G17-sized gun and it's easy on a compact gun.

___

But I suppose back to my question, is there a compelling reason to change the switch structure on the TLR-7/8 platform? Is there something I'm missing here or is it strictly shrinking the package size?
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-21-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Huh. So am I the only one here who dislikes the TLR-1? Granted, I am left-handed... But in my experience the switching feels very illogical; you have to press one way on one side of the light but when you switch to support hand shooting, now for the same function you have to move the switch in the opposite direction! Also, there is no way for me to use the light with a normal firing grip. And the damn thing goes off too easily, accidental light activations seem impossible to avoid. And the light has no off switch for transporting it, which combined with how easily the light comes on makes me worry about setting my range bag on fire.

I for one find this new switch setup of the TLR-7 quite interesting.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I like the size, 500-lumen output and beam pattern of this light. Like others have already mentioned though, I'm not thrilled with the switch - mainly because it looks like it creates a longer reach than most others. Combine that with a large trigger guard (which positions the light further forward) and short fingers, you end up with an impossible reach without major support hand shift.

I found the Inforce APL on my Glock 17 to be perfect for me, I could even reach the paddle with my trigger finger. The same light on the PPQ is positioned further forward, out of reach of the trigger finger but still manageable with the support hand thumb. That said, the APL could come back on the PPQ rail at least a quarter inch before contacting the front of the trigger guard, which would position it within easier reach.

Having owned an X300, TLR-1 and the APL, I still think the APL has the best switch ergonomics.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Huh. So am I the only one here who dislikes the TLR-1?
    I’m sure others feel the same, but I think a lot like those controls better.

For me, I started on the Insight M3... so it just feels more instinctive to run a TLR style switch. Kind of like people with firearms... sometimes, you just get set in your ways.

I also run the TLR-1 on a few long guns, as well as my TAC-14. Push momentary wouldn’t be easy in those roles.

One thing that this thread really showed me is that I’ll probably never use my X300U-B... so tossed it up for sale on my state’s gun forum. Hopefully it covers some of the cost for a new TLR-7. [emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Huh. So am I the only one here who dislikes the TLR-1?
    Nope you're not alone. The TLR1 switch has two big flaws IMO:
    1) it's much too easy to inadvertendly knock on (or off) during regular weapon manipulation. I do not like the light firing accidently and greatly prefer the stiffer switch on the XD300
    2) momentary and constant "ON" for the TLR1 are different motions depending on the side of the gun you're accessing the swith from--IMO this is not intuitive and adds unnecessary complication

The new TLR7 switch design looks to have at least solved point #2...and with a manual lock-out feature on the bezel, I'd be hapy to live with a light switch (though would still prefer some resistance)

User Tag List