Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: New Streamlight TLR-7

How are these holding up? I am looking into picking up a compact light for my edc. I like the price point and switching seems decent. But am wondering how they have been reliability wise and how folks are feeling vs the xc1-b?

Sorry for the necro post, but wanted to share something I have experienced on multiple units. I really like the TLR-7A, and have been carrying one regularly for a while now. When shooting pistols with the light mounted, I notice that bezel moves on its own through some combination of shooting and/or EDC, and at some point of bezel movement the light won’t come on. Tighten the bezel and everything works as expected. So, keep an eye on your bezel, to make sure it is tight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sorry for the necro post, but wanted to share something I have experienced on multiple units. I really like the TLR-7A, and have been carrying one regularly for a while now. When shooting pistols with the light mounted, I notice that bezel moves on its own through some combination of shooting and/or EDC, and at some point of bezel movement the light won’t come on. Tighten the bezel and everything works as expected. So, keep an eye on your bezel, to make sure it is tight.
    I see it every time we qual at night (and occasionally while working).

New Streamlight TLR-7

That sucks. I am deeply invested in the TLR-7/8. Maybe Vibratite can help?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Seems like any accessory should be checked on a regular basis along with maintenance etc. including lights, lasers, dots

Site Supporter
    I think we should consider that Streamlight pistol-mounted lights are intended to get one through the gunfight, not qualification courses or advanced bang-bang school. Granted, I'd be frosted if my light fell off (as it did in a D platoon course) in the midst of the North Hollywood shootout, but that is unlikely yo occur in the typical dust-up.

Lights unscrewing or bezels losening are not positive design features of Streamlight, but routine mounting and/or inspection can reduce real world problems for law enforcement and armed citizens. YMMV in military settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Another use for E6000?

I’ve been using it lately on other things that vibrate loose like pic rail thumb screws and the like with good results.
    Last edited by JCN; 02-08-2022 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Seems like any accessory should be checked on a regular basis along with maintenance etc. including lights, lasers, dots
    “This is the way.” As GJM noted above, there is some combination causing rotation/disconnection of the bezel. I just looked at my SL 7sub mounted on todays carry piece and note there is a groove on the bezel which lines up the connection. A little paint “witness mark” could be helpful here; I do that with the dot screws, etc.(thanks to SoCalDep).
    I haven’t had an issue with the TLR8G, but doesn’t mean it can’t happen.
    Cooper noted a long time ago that a handgun could be a very personal implement, and aficionados paid attention to their personal gear. So, handgun, check; sights and lights, check; ammo load out, check, etc.

Edit to add: some sort of thread locker (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I think doing something that decreases the frequency and likelihood of failure is always a good idea. Less maintenance, less risk of error and failure.

Usually if a failure point is identified, I don’t like to let it go too far before trying to come up with a fix.

You know, the “fool me once, shame on you… fool me twice, shame on me.”

On vibration related loosening, there are some applications that torque alone isn’t going to solve the problem.

Similar to some optic mounting plates with high volume.

Something that gums up threads just a little without being a PITA is perfect.

Potential fixes that would prevent the bezel from needing as close attention:

1. Remove bezel and sparingly toothpick apply Vibratite or blue loctite, let dry and then reinstall.
    2. Remove bezel and put a little E6000 (like rubber cement) at the threads or joints and reinstall.
    3. Stick a black paster on the joint.
    4. Toothpick dab nail polish on the joint like a seal on a Victorian letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    A dab or two of clear nail polish in the threads ought to do the trick. I doubt there is a need to slather it on. Witness marks are a good idea, too.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List