Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JMCK AIWB George Cracked

JMCK AIWB George Cracked

Had anyone else had this happen before. This is a George AIWB.
    Was getting ready for IDPA match yesterday am, went to put on (using my new tennicor zero belt) and noticed the guard was bent in.
    Holster is several years old, (at least 3), was my daily use. Luckily I had an old wing claw I used for the match
    Trying to upload pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Talking

Attachments worked
    Sent email to JMCK yesterday

3+ years on a kydex holster that sees carry as well as competition use sounds fine to me. They're consumables.

Sweat guards are a flex point - I’d be ok with three years, too.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I third it. Kydex works right up until the time it cracks. That cracking point is quite common. I have had it happen on two or three holsters of various makers when my “belly” pushed out on the sweat guard of an empty holster and I forget to take it off after I clear security.

Kydex, Mags, carry Ammo, shoes, white dress shirts particularly, etc are ALL consumables.

Buy 2 and drive on. One is none and two is one.

I bought a Graith legacy Holster off of eBay. I got that crack and bought a Mastermind to replace. I should have bought a second one right then. Fortunately, I was able to source a backup a week or two ago.

I might shear off the sweat guard, true up the edge with some abrasives and still have it in the inventory to wear if I was wearing an undershirt that I did not care if it got a bit greasy/holy over time and/or “Velcro” it to or into something if the need ever presented itself.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    Had anyone else had this happen before. This is a George AIWB.
    Was getting ready for IDPA match yesterday am, went to put on (using my new tennicor zero belt) and noticed the guard was bent in.
    Holster is several years old, (at least 3), was my daily use. Luckily I had an old wing claw I used for the match
    Trying to upload pics
    2 min with a brûlée torch you can fuse the crack.

Site Supporter
    JCN says:

“2 min with a brûlée torch you can fuse the crack.”

https://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Cook...394125256&th=1

1. You have to have a brûlée torch to begin with (12 ish on amazon delivered via Prime-see link above)

2. Interesting fix.

3. Would the application of heat for 2 min to fuse the crack adversely affect the holster i.e. make the area around the fuse more brittle and prone to cracking?

IDNK as I am not a thermoplastics SME nor have I ever tried the fix. Color me intrigued. The farthest I have ever gone re cracking kydex is drilling a very small hole at the end of a much shorter crack. It worked for a while FWIW.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Will definitely be ordering another one, I have zero complaints, this has been a wonderful holster.

My nickname should be “ he who breaks kydex”.

They all break eventually. In my experience the more the holster leverages the pistol butt in the more likely it is to break sooner.

Also the more you do strenuous activities the sooner it breaks.

This is because it stresses the kydex more.

Also in forming my own kydex sheaths etc… I have noticed if it is overheated it gets more brittle.

As said earlier, buy spares.

Still a great material.

I have used heat to try to repair kydex holsters before. The fix didn't last long. I have my doubts that any fix will hold up in that spot over time.

I have a JMCK holster that is starting to develop a similar crack. I suspect the full guard, plus RDS cut contributes significantly to the problem.

User Tag List