Page 80 of 232 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P365 - Single Stack 9mm w/10+1 and 12+1

Are we sure this is a drop safe gun? I really want to like this for an ankle gun. But you know...sig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Are we sure this is a drop safe gun? I really want to like this for an ankle gun. But you know...sig.

Here’s the thing, it’s been claimed that it’s a partially cocked striker but, to me, I feel it’s fully cocked or at least 95%. That alone doesn’t keep me from thinking its drop safe - but the gun doesn’t have the trigger tab safety nor does it have a physically supported sear. Granted there hasn’t been any drop fires that I’m aware of but, with that said, I don’t carry mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    Here’s the thing, ...but, with that said, I don’t carry mine.
    Then why own it?

Applies to me as well & I am rectifying it.
    Last edited by Willard; 07-06-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Excuse the amateur vocabulary, but here is my explanation of how the standard P365 drop safety works:

The Red arrows point to the mechanism to release the firing pin block. On the top of the picture, the trigger mechanism has a cam that pushes up on the firing pin block (lower red arrow) which then unblocks the striker channel. This is the mechanism you feel on the first half of the p365 trigger pull. That first bit of trigger travel almost feels like total freeplay, but it is disengaging the internal safety.

Once you continue pulling the trigger beyond that point, the mechanism highlighted by the orange arrows come into play. The trigger ramp/sear (upper orange arrow) is meshed into an almost mirror image casting on the striker/firing pin assembly (lower arrow). As the trigger is pulled, the trigger ramp/sear drops down until it clears the striker/firing pin assembly. At that point the striker spring pushes the striker/firing pin into the primer, igniting the cartridge and expending a bullet.

In order for the p365 to fire, that firing pin block needs to be pressed up (against spring pressure). In order for the firing pin to slide forward, the trigger ramp/sear needs to go down, against spring pressure. The only way these two things can happen at the same time is if the trigger moves rearward against ~5-6 lbs of spring pressure.

Can you drop the P365 in such a way that the momentum of the trigger presses itself? Maybe if you drop it from the empire state building in a vacuum tube at a 30 degree angle... But the trigger's inertia is not sufficient to overcome spring pressure when dropped from a reasonable height (something that was not true of the first P320s).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 07-06-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I haven’t been carrying mine at all. I was flirting with the idea of an ankle holster for it. I know ankle carry is far from ideal, and I don’t plan to do it often. I prefer to have my Px4CC on my belt. but there are some circumstances in my life where it would be the difference between having a firearm and not. A couple companies make ankle holsters for the 365. Hard to tell which to try, or if it’s too big to carry that way and I’d be better off with a tomcat or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    @LSP552 An ankle carry expert should be along shortly. Im guessing he is going to say it's too big.
    Found this https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-that-you-like
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Yes, as did I, and I posted there.

I tried to get a relatively inexpensive kydex ankle holster for it, as proof of concept to see if the weight and size are doable , but the customer service was so horrendous I canceled the order (not from any of the good places I do repeat business with, this was gonna be a one time experiment). Galco leather isn’t cheap nor is the Ritchie leather I saw mentioned in that thread, so the ankle carry thing is on hold for now.
    Last edited by Medusa; 07-07-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    ... This is the mechanism you feel on the first half of the p365 trigger pull. That first bit of trigger travel almost feels like total freeplay, but it is disengaging the internal safety.
    Would the quoted part be what one could describe as a "hitch" before the striker releases? That's what it felt like to me.

Site Supporter

I tried to get a relatively inexpensive kydex ankle holster for it, as proof of concept to see if the weight and size are doable , but the customer service was so horrendous I canceled the order (not from any of the good places I do repeat business with, this was gonna be a one time experiment). Galco leather isn’t cheap nor is the Ritchie leather I saw mentioned in that thread, so the ankle carry thing is on hold for now.
    A cheap holster really will not help with proof of concept, because its deficiencies will negate the concept while a better holster might potentially validate it. The quality of the holster makes a big difference in whether the size and weight is comfortable and concealable. I would suggest going with a better holster right from the start. It it turns out to be something you do not want to do regularly (and I suspect it will), then you still have a really good holster for the less common occasions when it proves to be your best option.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I haven’t been carrying mine at all. I was flirting with the idea of an ankle holster for it. I know ankle carry is far from ideal, and I don’t plan to do it often. I prefer to have my Px4CC on my belt. but there are some circumstances in my life where it would be the difference between having a firearm and not. A couple companies make ankle holsters for the 365. Hard to tell which to try, or if it’s too big to carry that way and I’d be better off with a tomcat or something.
    My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but...

Just out of curiosity I tried my P365 in my Desantis ankle holster made for a G42. It doesn't look like it should, but it fits amazingly well. With the flush fit mag it hides easily on my ankle in my work slacks. I agree, not ideal, but sometimes required.

Name:  IMG_1877.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1876.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  33.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    A cheap holster really will not help with proof of concept, because its deficiencies will negate the concept while a better holster might potentially validate it. The quality of the holster makes a big difference in whether the size and weight is comfortable and concealable. I would suggest going with a better holster right from the start. It it turns out to be something you do not want to do regularly (and I suspect it will), then you still have a really good holster for the less common occasions when it proves to be your best option.

Both LSP972 and LSP552 Guys with many many years of everyday ankle carry recommended the Null. I went with their recommendation and am very satisfied.
    The Null is slightly less expensive I would guess the wait would be significantly less.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List