Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK now available in .32 / 7.65

Site Supporter

Walther PPK now available in .32 / 7.65

I know we hate the PPK on P-F. I know this. But (I think) that’s because it’s…

1. Generally perceived as unreliable.

2. Hurts to shoot.

Does a PPK in its “proper” caliber change these?

If neither of the above are true, we’re left with a very small, vey thin, inherently accurate, DA/SA carry platform. Albeit in a lesser caliber. I’ve read some anecdotes to suggest, maybe, the size of .380 pushes the envelope in terms of reliability on a gun as small as the PPK. Seems logical. But, then again, there’s rimlock with .32 / 7.65.

If reports suggest these run… I might be interested. Definitely intrigues me more than the .380.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

I'd buy one for nostalgic purposes. That said, the P230 in .32 is the pinnacle of 7.65 PPK design.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Finally!

"Walther PPK. Seven point six five millimeter. Only three men I know use such a gun. I believe I've killed two of them."

Couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, this is a gun that I personally hate hate HATE in .380 because it was so hyped in my head from years of reading Fleming's Bond novels. This was (almost) the gun of James Bond...and it's hot garbage. In addition to the above, I thought the sights and trigger were both lousy. But it's been a while, so maybe the trigger is not as bad as I remember. Or maybe it is.

Anyway, Bond could have had a J-Frame, but noooooooooo.....

/rant

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I know we hate the PPK on P-F. I know this. But (I think) that’s because it’s…

1. Generally perceived as unreliable.

2. Hurts to shoot.
    As to #2, if the bottom corners of the side are hit lightly with a mill file to break the edges, it's a lot nicer to shoot.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    As to #2, if the bottom corners of the side are hit lightly with a mill file to break the edges, it's a lot nicer to shoot.
    Yes, I had to take a small diamond file and then a buffing wheel to my old stainless Interarms model that I had years ago . The factory edges were razor sharp!

I suffered my way through using a .380 PPK for a good bit. I recently got to shoot a .32, and that being a full size PP no less, and it’s only mildly better in my hands. It’s still extremely unpleasant compared to the similarly sized Colt 1903 I shot side by side with it. The only thing it had on the Colt was the better sights (Manhurin and many post war Walthers have pretty good sights, vintage wartime and pre-war Walthers less so).

I did find my .380 to be quite reliable but I know that’s not true of all of them. My recollection is the Interarms branded ones are better than the S&W production models. In fact I think everything produced by Smith for or by permission of Walther has a less than stellar reputation.

It’s a shame because if it didn’t hurt to shoot I’d find a .32 Walther to be a lot of fun. They are very accurate, handy, and have good single action triggers for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    we’re left with a very small, vey thin, inherently accurate, DA/SA carry platform. Albeit in a lesser caliber.
    Lesser caliber? Seriously? Dude, it's delivery is like a brick through a plate glass window!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Lesser caliber? Seriously? Dude, it's delivery is like a brick through a plate glass window!
    Indeed, it is the Lords caliber !

I saw a very pretty NIB version in the case at an LGS this week with wonderful checkered wood grips, but I will never get over my Interarms ownership experience. If I convinced myself to try one again the .32 would be the correct caliber and it would be a range toy.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

User Tag List