Page 65 of 232 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P365 - Single Stack 9mm w/10+1 and 12+1

Seems like the manual safety version of this gun may be my next semi auto purchase with my potential of switching to the 320.

Feb 27 - I shot my carry magazine of 10 Fed HST 147+P followed by 2 10 round magazines of Fed 115 FMJ. In the 3rd magazine of 10 115 FMJ the pistol failed to return to battery (unnoticeable to me at the time) and had a light strike on the primer. I noticed the slide seemed to be sluggish upon loading the 3rd magazine but paid no mind. Rechambered the light struck round and it fired fine. I had this happen another 3-4 times while shooting an additional 34 rounds of Fed 115fmj and 11 rounds of Fiocchi 147 JHP. Total round count 75 rounds. Packed up and headed out after this continued to happen. When I returned home I disassembled the pistol, including pulling the striker assembly and other than a really dry somewhat dirty pistol did not notice anything amiss. Thoroughly cleaned and lubed the pistol.

Feb 28 - Returned to the range with a clean and lubed pistol. Fired 146 Federal 115 FMJ followed by 29 Fiocchi 147 JHP with no issues at all.

P365 total round count to date = 2656 with the above mentioned malfunctions for which I would place blame upon the user.

As an aside to the above, the P365 is totally in a class by itself size/capacity wise. I went through a few options for replacement to include a 642, LCR 9mm, G19, G43 and finally settled on the G26. All are excellent AIWB options but having carried the P365 AIWB for the past 6 months, the revolvers and G43 felt under capacity and the G19 felt like a 4" N frame. The G26 was the closest for me in regards to capacity and concealment.
    Last edited by vaspence; 02-28-2019 at 02:09 PM.

You might also want to change your recoil spring assembly - they're only rated for 2,500 rounds (and dry fires are supposed to be included in the count).

There are guys on Sigtalk who go much longer intervals, but I definitely notice the difference between an old and new RSA at 2500-3000 rounds (I am now on my 3rd) - especially when the pistol is dirty.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 02-28-2019 at 02:42 PM.

I ended up getting a 365 after trying one out from another shooter at the range recently and put 400 rounds through yesterday. You can see my detailed range report in the Glock 43X/48 range session thread as I compared it with those guns and the Glock 43 in various drills. The 365 did well with the best Dot torture score and decenly close in the other drills especially when taking out the reload time of the full grip guns like the 43X and 48. Much better for me than the 43 I had been using for a couple years.

In considering the 365 along with the 43X 48 and 43 as well as my Kahr PM9 I took some measurements and made some comparisons. Here are some weights (in oz)

365 total 16.25, Slide 9.0, barrel, 2.25, RSA 5/8 of oz, frame 4.125, magazine 2.

Glock 43 total 16.125, slide 9 7/8, barrel 2 3/8, RSA 3/8, frame 3.125, magazine 1 3/4.

Kahr PM9 Total 15, slide 8.5, barrel 2, RSA .5, frame 3 7/8 I forgot to get the magazine weight.

I also took some measurements of the various magazines plus a Sig P228 mag and Glock 23/19 mag.

Name:  20190228_110903.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  38.5 KB

The widths are as follows measured at the bottom just above the base plate.

PM9 12.1 mm.
    Glock 43 17mm.
    Glock 48 19.6mm.
    P228 19.7 mm.
    P365 20.03mm.
    G19/23 22.5mm.

The surprising parts to me were that the 365 and 228 are basically the same width and both are the same as the Glock 48. It appears that that the SIgs are regular double stack at the bottom where the Glock 48 is less than a true double stack. It's also surprising that the 43 mag is 5mm wider than the same capacity and height Kahr Pm9 mag. If Glock mags weren't so reliable and cheap it wouldn't make any sense to keep using a thick walled polymer mag with less capacity capability.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    The surprising parts to me were that the 365 and 228 are basically the same width and both are the same as the Glock 48.
    That was a pleasant surprise for me when I tried putting my 12 round reload for my new P365 in a kytex pouch for a P228, and determined I wasn't going to have to buy ANOTHER set of mag pouches for the new pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    You might also want to change your recoil spring assembly - they're only rated for 2,500 rounds (and dry fires are supposed to be included in the count).

There are guys on Sigtalk who go much longer intervals, but I definitely notice the difference between an old and new RSA at 2500-3000 rounds (I am now on my 3rd) - especially when the pistol is dirty.
    Respectfully, considering it takes about 1/4" of slide movement to reset the striker, there's no way dry-fire has a substantial effect on RSA lifespan, unless you're aggressively cycling the side each and every time you dry fire- which is impractical if you have an empty mag in the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Respectfully, considering it takes about 1/4" of slide movement to reset the striker, there's no way dry-fire has a substantial effect on RSA lifespan, unless you're aggressively cycling the side each and every time you dry fire- which is impractical if you have an empty mag in the piece.
    Personally I agree with you - I'm just giving Sig's official stance:

Is it safe to dry-fire my pistol?

It is safe to dry-fire our center fire pistols. You would want to use a snap cap or plug if extensive dry-firing is done. Always count your dry-firing in your live fire count to be sure all springs and pins are in top condition. DO NOT intentionally dry-fire any rim fire pistol such as the Mosquito, .22LR conversions or Classic Pistols.
    https://www.sigsauer.com/support/faqs/

ongoing goodness

Another 150 rounds, 147 ball...Gun runs...I am finding consistently 2-3" low poa/poi beyond 21'... Originally did not notice it. After reading other remarks from another source I started to keep track of it. Going to order a #8 front sight in red/tritium. The green "Xray" factory for me sucks. I had another shooter do FTS drills and they really liked the green "Xray"... POA vs POI was also low for them.

To date zero operating malfunctions...Only issue was a sloppy reload at speed by me with a 12 round magazine, failed to fully seat. Totally my error, I for some reason known only to God tried to "Snicker Bar" the 12 rounder into the gun and it did not fully seat. Being that the glass was half full, I did a seriously hot rod Tap-Rack-Bang in front of a couple new to handgun shooting spectators...Despite my attempting to explain that the issue was self induced, and the solution is a standard training skill, Cletus and Mabel were having none of it....Sheeee it.

As far a carry loads, I have only run 124 GS so far, 40 rounds total. No issues.

Overall so far, nice piece. Ordered some leather.

As recommended I replaced the rsa with a new Sig factory rsa.

Name:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  29.1 KB
    The new rsa is on the left. It definitely closes the slide with a bit more authority. In the future I'll replace the rsa every 2000 rounds, it's cheap maintenance.

I shot 100 more Fed 115 fmj brass and 10 Fiocchi 147 jhp with no issues after the rsa swap. Total round count is 2766.

Side note - I've been lax in purchasing a proper aiwb holster for this pistol and purchased a JMCK aiwb from a fellow forum member last week. The extra tuck and length have almost made me forget I'm carrying the pistol.
    Last edited by vaspence; 03-21-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Copied from ST:

I'm well over 6,000 rounds now, but I am a bit alarmed by the recent appearance of a metallurgical void on the breech face of my slide:

I didn't get a great photo then, but it wasn't noticeable last month:

So I've taken my P365 out of service while I wait for the Sig gunsmith to look at the picture. Less concerning but still interesting to note is that the chamber of my barrel appears to be losing the nitron coating in patches:

I did take a couple "advanced ccw" type courses after work where we shot 200-300 rounds over ~2 hours so the gun may have gotten a bit warm, but it shouldn't have been excessively so. The hottest it got was probably during a Vickers/Hackathorn drill called the "Half Test" (10 rounds in a ~5" circle at 5 yards in 5 seconds).

I hope it gets resolved quickly; in the meantime I'm back to my trusty PM9 which is not nearly as much fun to shoot.

User Tag List