Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What about a “The Range” section?

Alright, here are some of the things I’ve figured out.

1. Target stands: I like using 1x2’s with IPSC/IDPA cardboard either as the main target or as a backer, depending on what I’m doing. At this point, I’ve just sucked it up and bought 3 of the collapsible steel target stands from www.targetbarn.com. However, I made various DIY stands before I had the money and they worked with varying degrees of success. The first ones I made out of 2” PVC pipe with sand in the bottom tubes. These were great at being windproof and holding targets, but we’re bulky to transport. Currently I drive a Honda CRV, so space is at a bit of a premium. I made another design (pictured below) out of 1x3 and a couple of joist hangers. Other than the Target Barn stands, it is my favorite. Inexpensive ($10 or less in materials), lightweight, compact. Obviously wind can be an issue, so if I were to continue using this design I would drill a couple holes and use stakes to hold it down if required.

Name:  073F7DCC-BD46-4639-9BBD-BC262628B7F3.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  1882BC1F-CD93-430C-B5F9-1B8AE6DB098C.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  34.7 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    A separate section might or might not have the juice to keep alive separately.

Maybe start a “The Range” thread in the EDC Gear subforum and see how it goes?
    How many threads are there in the EDC Gear subforum for just range bags?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    How many threads are there in the EDC Gear subforum for just range bags?
    On a slightly related note how many of those threads are actually worth reading?
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

2. Target Portfolio:

Legal size document portfolio with dividers. I keep a vast array of targets with me to work on various exercises. This expanding legal size portfolio holds FAST targets, B8’s, Dot Torture, 1/2” grid sight-in targets, 3x5 cards, on and on and on. The stencils and click sharpies are helpful too. Some exercises call for 1” dots or 2” Dots. Rather that having so many rolls of Dot stickers, just use the stencil to make the size Dot you need. Red is a handy color because it shows up on white or black backgrounds for marking misses, etc, and the clicky make sure I don’t lose the cap.

Name:  89BA0DCE-C521-4B00-9011-113604CDB904.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  43.5 KB
    Name:  FE77635B-E0D4-4B2D-A235-8929012036C9.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  47.6 KB
    Food Court Apprentice

^ That document portfolio is brilliant, I even have one of those sitting around, never thought to use for that purpose. I've just been using a clipboard, which sucks.

A few things I use for efficiency:
    - Wide brown tape to cover up multiple shots on cardboard at once, rather than individual pasters.
    - Negative taping. (Only tape hits outside the A zone, for example.)
    - White 3x5 labels instead of stapling up index cards.
    - 25 yard cord staked at the target plane, marked with common distances.
    - CED Brass Mat to catch my brass when doing a lot of shooting from a static position.

I also prefer compact lightweight target stands that can be staked to the ground, I carry five in a bucket. Beats hauling larger, heavier stands when shooting on a bay I can't back my truck up to. I'm also working on some prototypes for a cost-effective portable falling plate rack, been busy with other things recently but hopefully I can have it ready for spring...details to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/1InTheOffice-...+inch+capacity

I use these big metal clips to fasten my IDPA targets to the uprights. I hate it when I cut my finger on a staple.
    That’s how we hang targets at our PD range.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM

- 25 yard cord staked at the target plane, marked with common distances.

I
    I really like that idea. Simple but smart.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Cheapo stable USPSA stand:

- Three 1x6 board sections
    - Legs 2 feet (24 inches) long (not critical, can be 22" like center if easier)
    - Center piece 22 inches long
    - Cheap ass bundle of 1.5 inch wide furring strips for uprights
    - PVC pipe wide enough to just fit the uprights (I believe I used ubiquitous 1.5 inch PVC)
    - Cut to desired length. Mine are only 6 inches long; longer would probably be more stable in the wind
    - Holes for the pipe go straight through, drilled using a Forstner bit (you can use hole saw bits but they're a huge pain in the ass in my opinion)
    - When drilling the hole make it a butt hair (1/16th inch bigger might be too loose) larger than the PVC. You want it to be very tight but not impossible to insert the pipe.
    - Once the "H" is screwed together (just using spare wood screws that don't stick out the bottom) use a USPSA target with uprights on it to mark out where you want the center of the holes.
    - ~.45 inch holes drilled in each corner for stakes if desired.

Stupid simple to make, and pretty easy to stake down, stack, and sand bag as needed. They're not super lightweight since they're 1x6 boards but they're also not easy to break in half. Just don't cut your hand off with a circular saw or drill a hole in your foot and you'll be good to go.

Name:  20180108_211639.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  20180108_211647.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  47.6 KB
    Last edited by Peally; 01-09-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Better than a Ziplok?

Anything better than a Ziplok for transporting small to medium quantities of loose ammo? Looking at these possibly:

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/bang-box/
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Anything better than a Ziplok for transporting small to medium quantities of loose ammo? Looking at these possibly:

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/bang-box/
    Not as fancy or cool... but "bank bags" from Walmart are around $3 each last I saw... I don't use them for ammo, but do use them for glove box/console organization. I'm sure they'd work for small amounts. Magpul Daka pouches would be a more sturdy/weather resistant option, but expensive.

If you are a Glock guy... why not TupperWare?

User Tag List