Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why has AIWB become so popular?

Why has AIWB become so popular?

Hey everyone,
    I am new here, but been carrying for around 20 years. I have pretty much only carried a G19, recently moved to a different country and now bought another G19, I've been out of training and guns etc for around 2.5 years.

It seems that suddenly AIWB is remarkably popular and a lot of people have moved over to it.
    I hear the pros and cons of it, but personally, I have never been able to carry comfortably AIWB.

Am I doing something wrong? Why is it suddenly so popular?

Thanks
    CoffeeParamedic

Welcome. Use the search function.....it's not a new topic, and there's already lots of discussion/reading for you to digest:

AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Appendix Carry...Thousands of Thugs Can't Be Wrong!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I don't know what true prevalence is but part of what you're seeing on this site is a selection bias. This forum was started by Todd, he carried appendix, a lot if not most old timers here trained with him and picked it up from there. Forums attract like minded people, and that's how pf became the most AIWB friendly gun site out there. On other sites most of the time AIWB discussions become confrontational and AIWB practice is an exception, even though I think it grew somewhat in popularity.

Why? Because it's awesome.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I started carrying my Glock 19 AIWB, (back in 1989), in an Assault Systems cordura nylon holster way before I ever heard of the term AIWB...or cared, for that matter.

I carried that way because it worked (for me). It provided quick access to the gun, was more comfortable for my body than IWB, provided access with either hand and allowed me to secure the gun with an arm or hand in the event of a scrum.

No system is perfect for everyone but this is the method that works best for me by far and is my preference for both semi-autos and revolvers.

Today's holsters are way better than what was available back in the day.
    Last edited by blues; 01-08-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I don't think it's particularly popular; YVK is probably on to something. I'll never bother goofing around with a "press out" draw either but since it was invented by the forum's founder I'm sure there's plenty of members here that use it.

If it works for you more power to you, if it doesn't don't lose sleep over it.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-08-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I hated behind the hip carry, I never liked the draw and my pants kept falling off. Plus I could never drive that way.

Appendix (I carry AOWB) fits right in my Inguinal Crease, the draw is fast and I find the amount of float between pants, belt and holster allows the gun to slide a bit for standing, sitting and driving. I really have come to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I hated behind the hip carry, I never liked the draw and my pants kept falling off.
    You're supposed to wear a belt you old coot
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Why has AIWB become so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeParamedic View Post

Am I doing something wrong? Why is it suddenly so popular?

Thanks
    CoffeeParamedic
    You may have too large of a gun for AIWB to work comfortably for you. I know there are many who do comfortably carry G19’s and bigger guns, but I’ve tried it and there is NO WAY I could possibly carry anything with that long of a barrel in that position. I use a G43 and a G26 very comfortably though. For me, in this position, barrel length is a bigger factor than grip length.

ETA: A good holster designed for AIWB is another significant factor, something I learned very recently. Mastermind Tactics makes a great AIWB holster and has awesome customer service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 01-08-2018 at 09:29 AM.

As a near skeleton anything behind the hip is impossible to conceal effectively and go about day to day life, AIWB solves that for me. It is also a mechanically more efficient draw and arguably safer re-holster.

I have also found it to be easier to protect against accidentally being bumped in crowded areas, and I am more aware of any printing if it occurs.

As far as comfort that mostly a matter of finding the right gun and holster combo for your body type.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 01-08-2018 at 09:29 AM.

User Tag List