Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 magnum in revolvers...are they something to consider

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I have a 17-5 and have played around with some 617’s. I’ve always felt as if the DA triggers were heavier in the stock configuaration. My 17 has a pretty good trigger on it due to the custom trigger job of shooting the crap out of it.
    As far as I know they use the same mainsprings as any other K frame.

The old family K-22 has somewhere between 200k and 300k rounds through it. Its fairly decent on the trigger action.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    As far as I know they use the same mainsprings as any other K frame.

The old family K-22 has somewhere between 200k and 300k rounds through it. Its fairly decent on the trigger action.
    As it turns out it seems that I can't find any details showing the various mainspring weights. The replacement springs all seem to be per frame size and not per caliber. This may well be yet another tired gun counter legend that will need to be lain to rest.

My 17-5 has a ways to go before it catches up to yours.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Though I don't recall the mission of said 22 magnum being listed here...
    I think the best answer to this thread is... go read the 43c thread.

If we're instead strictly talking K frames and hunting, then carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Though I don't recall the mission of said 22 magnum being listed here...
    I think the best answer to this thread is... go read the 43c thread.

If we're instead strictly talking K frames and hunting, then carry on.
    That info is only a couple of clicks away...

"I was just looking at some guns...wish list. I have seen some Smith and Wesson .22 magnums. The question I have is are they something to consider. Do they offer a lot more than just a .22 lr as far as accuracy I know in the power they seem to offer more. I was just curious I have never owned a pistol or rifle in this caliber. The price seems to be a little steep in ammo. Well that's my question of the week."

The .22 Mag in a rifle is a vicious little round. It will do a number on soft body armor as well as small game, small predators, vermin, and so forth. It's largest drawback is accuracy and terminal ballistics drop off rapidly after 100 yards. Like most magnum rounds, it has limited utility in a short barreled anything. Bill Rogers used to carry a S&W 351 for vermin dispatch, I think he has swapped over to a LCR 9mm for that use.

I recently acquired a 3" Ruger LCRx in .22 Mag as an affordable companion to a Winchester Model 94 in .22 Mag. The revolver is obnoxiously loud even with good ear plugs. My 43c is easier for me to shoot well, that's directly related to a hand injury and no fault of the gun. I can shoot it with my weak hand as well as any other small framed revolver. It does hit a bit harder than a similar weight high velocity .22LR using the scientific "thunk" test.
    Julius Caesar

That info is only a couple of clicks away...

"I was just looking at some guns...wish list. I have seen some Smith and Wesson .22 magnums. The question I have is are they something to consider. Do they offer a lot more than just a .22 lr as far as accuracy I know in the power they seem to offer more. I was just curious I have never owned a pistol or rifle in this caliber. The price seems to be a little steep in ammo. Well that's my question of the week."
    I was only referring to the OP not mentioning a specified purpose "to consider" for the gun in the quote listed above.

When I get my 351 back from S&W I will have to try it with some earpro other than my Sordins. I didn't think the muzzle blast lived up to it's reputation. For my intended purpose however, the more the better.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I was only referring to the OP not mentioning a specified purpose "to consider" for the gun in the quote listed above.
    I was busting chops. No malice intended.

Julius Caesar

Im the one who created the thread. I was just woundering if they were a pistol to consider. Meaning something to shoot targets around the yard with, or the gun club. etc. Just good clean fun legal shooting, nothing specific. The caliber just interested me as all, you do hear some urban legends about its ability etc. Mostly from people who never owned or even shot one most likely. I got a lot of good feedback from the thread, enough to keep me from buying something I don't need.

...Like most magnum rounds, it has limited utility in a short barreled anything....
    https://ballisticsbytheinch.wordpres...ally-a-magnum/

Good data on the effect of barrel length on .22LR and .22Mag.

LSP issued the High Standard .22 mag derringer during the 70s-80s. Shooting them at night was always kinda cool, especially followed by .357.

Worthless little gun but it did fit in a pocket OK, and many troopers actually carried them as a backup. I’m aware of more than one ND as a result of the lack of a trigger guard. I still have a nickel plated one packed away in storage somewhere, hasn’t been shot in probably 20 years.

I also have a Colt New Frontier .22 with the interchangeable mag cylinder, and a short Ruger .22 SA with a mag cylinder also. They work well on bunnies and armadillos. I tend to rarely use the mag cylinder, but for some reason I really like having it. Go figure.
    Last edited by LSP552; 02-03-2018 at 02:25 PM.

User Tag List