Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 magnum in revolvers...are they something to consider

.22 magnum in revolvers...are they something to consider

I was just looking at some guns...wish list. I have seen some Smith and Wesson .22 magnums. The question I have is are they something to consider. Do they offer a lot more than just a .22 lr as far as accuracy I know in the power they seem to offer more. I was just curious I have never owned a pistol or rifle in this caliber. The price seems to be a little steep in ammo. Well that's my question of the week.

They suck to shoot, lots of noise and blast. I'd rather have a .22LR high velocity. Not going to mention cans seeing as what state you're in, sorry.
    #RESIST

Smith .22 Magnum revolvers have very heavy triggers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    S&W rimfire revolvers have heavy triggers.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I was just looking at some guns...wish list. I have seen some Smith and Wesson .22 magnums. The question I have is are they something to consider. Do they offer a lot more than just a .22 lr as far as accuracy I know in the power they seem to offer more. I was just curious I have never owned a pistol or rifle in this caliber. The price seems to be a little steep in ammo. Well that's my question of the week.
    The .22 WMR revolvers do not offer an edge in accuracy over the .22LR revolvers. The best benefit a .22 WMR revolver offers is as a companion to a .22WMR Rifle.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

If one was comparing a 125 grain .355 caliber bullet going 1200 fps to one going 1350 fps I think the argument that 150 fps gain (11.5%) is not really offering much of a return might be obvious. Similar to the 9mm vs .357 Sig comparison

At some point in the realm of a tiny bullet and much slower velocities compared, 150 fps is going to make more of a difference. At some point you hit a threshold of shit were a 150 fps gets one just outside the threshold of shit.

I don't really know if .22 mag from a snub or other revolver falls into that category or not. The only comparison worth even considering IMO is 40 grain solid vs 40 grain solid. .22 hollow points need not apply.

I think the "real" cartridge construction of the .22 mag vs the .22 LR "probably" gives it some advantage for reliability. I've seen .22 LR duds in a pistol from being stored in high humidity for a period of months.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    My .22 revolver is a Ruger Single Six. It has 2 cylinders, so I can shoot any .22 rimfire I can get my hands on, from CB caps to magnums. I mostly shoot .22 long rifles because they're cheaper, but during the ammo panic, it was common to find other .22, including magnums, but not be able to get a single box of long rifles. I bought the single six for a lot of reasons, including being able to shoot what I could find. I didn't think I'd actually have to exercise that versatility, but was glad to have it.

Ruger single actions don't usually have heavy triggers, and they're easy to fix if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That has not been my experience with my [example of one] early 80's S&W M18. Very smooth with a reasonable pull weight [not that I've measured it].

I attribute some of my hearing problems to my Ruger Single Six in .22 Magnum. It was an exceedingly load blaster.

Site Supporter
    I had a SW 651 in the 90's. It was a 3 inch SS frame. Very nice gun as a piece of engineering. However, I didn't find it practical for several reasons. The ammo was expensive but that's not a big issue. The gun really wasn't a carry gun - but a belt gun. I did use it as such when out in the field. I suppose one would only consider the newer snubbies for carry. However, rounds at that time made a terrific blast of flame and residue. At the range, one would see a spew of black powder residue all over a target at 7 yards. 50 rounds locked up the cylinder so tightly that it took a significant soaking in a cleaner to free it. Then scrub, scrub. I sold it.

That trigger was not terribly heavy. However, I did have a 317 LS (a 22LR) with a very heavy trigger - sold it.

I also have a NAA Mini 1 5/8 inch barrel revolver in 22 Mag with a 22 LR cylinder also. I fired the 22 mag in an indoor range between the two partitions. I thought it blew up and I blew up. I recall a tremendous flash and felt a pressure wave that hit my face and went under my safety glasses. My eyes slammed shut automatically. I still have the gun and loaded it now with the Hornady Critical Defense 22 Mag - which honestly I haven't shot. I use it a as BUG sometimes (I prefer a J frame). I assume firing it will scare the surrounding villains more than racking a shotgun.

I've read that some of our members carry the newer J's with 22 mag and perhaps might comment.

User Tag List