Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were just starting out in 2018...

If you were just starting out in 2018...

I often read on here about newer semi autos other than Glocks, Beretta 92s and 1911s and see the line “if I wasn’t already invested in” as a reason to shy away. If you were just now starting out but possessed the knowledge you’ve learned over the years what platform would you go with for a full size double stack auto?
    If it helps with the recommendation I’m looking for something to carry under my jacket OWB to Church. My daily carry is a J frame that fills that function fine for my needs. Hard for me to believe but Church is the one place I feel poses the most danger in my routine. Lack of entrances and exits plus the increase in traffic we’ve had from grifters who have gotten more verbal each time plus what happened in Sutherland Springs has all made me rethink things.
    P.S. I know off body carry is frowned on but a nice leather bible case with a hidden holster inside seems like a good business opportunity for someone right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get a G5 Glock 19, CCC Gestalt holster, and a Mastermind AIWB belt.
    I would later add a Glock 26, and another identical Glock 19.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I would definitely go with Glock, probably gen 5, unless you really like finger groves. Used to dislike Glock pretty strongly, but I finally gave them a fair shot. Now I wish I hadn’t wasted time with a Shield and a couple XD’s before hand.

Personally, I wouldn’t be comfortable with off body carry, but that’s me. I’ve got a Mastermind Tactics AIWB holster for my G43 and G26 and they are absolutely amazing. I can sit for hours in complete comfort. They are also very reasonably priced compared to many others out there. On top of that, their costumer service is top notch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 01-07-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Delete
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 01-07-2018 at 11:29 PM.

You’re going to get each person’s preferred gun of choice for an answer. I think the better thing to do is figure out what *you* want/desire in a carry gun. Each person’s requirements are different. So while I carry a Beretta DA/SA 90% of the time, that answer might not be best for you. Good luck.
    Shoot more, post less...

If full size is really what you want, then a G17...otherwise the slightly more diminutive G19.

My personal recommendation for an OWB holster is from Tom at DSG.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Glock 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely go out and rent or borrow a bunch of the pistols you see recommended here! Ironically, the three you listed (Glocks, Beretta 92s and 1911s) are the only three platforms I have extensive experience with, so what little I've learned about others like Sigs and HKs come from rental ranges or friends. But you have to try them for yourself in addition to doing your research.

If I had never owned a semi auto pistol before, but still had the experience of shooting all three types, I'd choose a Glock 17 or 19 for my first semi auto.

Here's another thing, though probably for another thread. I find it very difficult to conceal a full-size pistol OWB under a suit jacket. That said, my suits were not tailored specifically for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I often read on here about newer semi autos other than Glocks, Beretta 92s and 1911s and see the line “if I wasn’t already invested in” as a reason to shy away. If you were just now starting out but possessed the knowledge you’ve learned over the years what platform would you go with for a full size double stack auto?
    I think it is safe-ish to say the Glock 9mm guns are the bar by which the metric for double-stack SFA guns is set. I think "buy a G19" is a very good boilerplate answer but many other guns can cover your needs as well, just at the cost of experimentation. I have "invested" in the G19 and I find the 19 and 43 pairing is a grand one.

Moving away from your finer details I would say if I could "reboot" I would probably jump back into the 1911.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List