Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave Spaulding - Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Sig66 View Post
    You mean like Clint Smith??...yeah, I'll take that 'salty experience' any day.
    Not meaning anything bad by that, one of my favorite instructors that I have trained with a lot, Tom Givens, fits that description in my mind.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig66 View Post
    Yeah, in Jackson. If I wasn't working that weekend, I'd be there. It looks like I'm going to Beaumont.
    I took Tom Givens' Combative Pistol class there (Boondocks FTA) last spring, and I've shot a couple of IDPA matches there since then. Tom's class was my first time at Boondocks, and I was astonished at how nice the facility is. My observation is that it's also a very well run facility with friendly owners and employees. If your schedule ever works out for another class, you definitely don't need to worry about the quality of the range.

Here is the LINK to Glenn's AAR for Spaulding's vehicle class in Texas.
    Last edited by pangloss; 01-07-2018 at 03:31 PM.

It's been years since I had a class with Dave but I really believe in his basic, common sense philosophy more than probably any other instructor especially when consider as a whole. I do see the angry old man, get off my lawn vibe from him and other older trainers but I believe it is more a product of frustration,social media and the influx of trainers who haven't put in the work, don't always give credit to those who went before them and training that is flashy or tacticool but isn't very practical or realistic.

The only reason I haven't been back to train with Dave is because I want to keep diversity of trainers up for different takes and ideas. William Aprill, Tom Givens have had recent health scares so I want to learn from the long term pros before they retire or travel less to do training classes. I planned to do Tom Givens class this year but it coincides with ECQC so maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I have only had one class with Mr. Spaulding. He is definitely one of those crochety old school type instructors. The class I took from him was a more basic level class and it was well done. I would have no problem recommending him to a newish student of pistolcraft. Though I have not returned to train with him again, a friend of mine Randy Harris, who is a member here has trained with him I believe, 3 times.
    In your class did you get his take on the work to develop precision at 25 yards and further?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    In your class did you get his take on the work to develop precision at 25 yards and further?
    That is a negative. I would have to go back and look at my notes to see exactly which class it was and what we covered. It was about 4 years ago I think. Things I remember off hand were being the only one to clean Dot Torture, (thanks TLG without sucking on it in your class I never would have got better), missing getting a coin on his 2X2X2 drill by .2 of a second, and Dave thinking I was a David Bowie guy because of using a dot gun.

eta I looked up my certificate and the class was Enhancing Combative Pistolcraft Skills 3/16-17/13.
    Last edited by MVS; 01-07-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Old school basics are the same as 'new school'. By all means take any course you can from Dave. Wealth of knowledge and an engaging instructor.

I am hosting him in Watkinsville, GA (immediately outside of Athens) on April 21-22 for this Adaptive Combat Pistol class. As of earlier this week, we were five short of the minimum needed for the class to make.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I took Tom Givens' Combative Pistol class there (Boondocks FTA) last spring, and I've shot a couple of IDPA matches there since then. Tom's class was my first time at Boondocks, and I was astonished at how nice the facility is. My observation is that it's also a very well run facility with friendly owners and employees. If your schedule ever works out for another class, you definitely don't need to worry about the quality of the range.
    Ditto on Boondocks. Very, very nice facility. Unfortunately, Dave's class there is the weekend before Tac Con and I doubt I'll be able to hit both. He'll be in Dover, TN later in 2018 and I want to be there. He's on my short list of folks I want to train with.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Ditto on Boondocks. Very, very nice facility. Unfortunately, Dave's class there is the weekend before Tac Con and I doubt I'll be able to hit both. He'll be in Dover, TN later in 2018 and I want to be there. He's on my short list of folks I want to train with.
    I’m planning on making that one too, John.

civiliandefender.com

I do see the angry old man, get off my lawn vibe from him and other older trainers but I believe it is more a product of frustration,social media and the influx of trainers who haven't put in the work, don't always give credit to those who went before them and training that is flashy or tacticool but isn't very practical or realistic

Great point. I'm looking for experience, quality, and integrity.
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 01-08-2018 at 11:14 AM.

User Tag List