Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen knife set

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I've been really satisfied with my Victorinox-Forschner kitchen knives. They are very reasonably priced and great entry-level cutlery. Spyderco makes a chef's knife I've been eyeing, but probably won't spring for it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Steel the edge after every use.
    That has been the subject of controversy for at least the last twenty years. I've done it myself, (smooth steel preferred), but oftentimes would opt for a fine or extra fine ceramic in its place.

One school of thought feels that flexing / realigning the edge with the steel weakens (and rounds) it whereas the very minimal touch-up with the ceramic maintains a sharpened edge.

To each his own...I've given up arguing the minutiae which is why my moderating on bladeforums.com is in self-imposed "lapsed" mode.

My brother in law, who was a butcher for many years, uses a grooved steel for his knives. I don't tell him what to do either.
    Last edited by blues; 01-08-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: punctuation
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I've been really satisfied with my Victorinox-Forschner kitchen knives. They are very reasonably priced and great entry-level cutlery. Spyderco makes a chef's knife I've been eyeing, but probably won't spring for it for a while.
    I'm a big fan of Victorinox but I have found in one or more instances a bad heat treat on one or two of their inexpensive paring knives. That said, I've heard nothing but good about their better kitchen knives.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I purchased a set from Costco. I believe the brand was Ergo Chef. There was a reason I didn't put a lot of thought or effort into the purchase. That's because I knew that certain people in my house would not use them correctly. No matter how much effort I put into educating against cutting on ceramic plates, metal pans & stone surfaces or throwing in the dishwasher it happens over and over. They think I'm a knife Nazi. The missing chip on the edge of the chef knife proves otherwise. And yes we have a very nice assortment of cutting boards available for use. So keep in mind who the end users will be and how the knives will get treated before you dump a lot of money into something that will get the respect of a garden tool.

If you just need workhorses that produce good results, I've had good experience with Mercer cutlery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My wife and I heavily used a set of Calphalon branded knives for over ten years. They held a blade well and stood up to us throwing them into the dishwasher clanking around with other silverware.

We recently replaced this set with a JA Henckels set. However it didn't come with a 5" Santoku. We bought a Wustoff 5" Santoku and have been super impressed with it.

On the extreme budget end we were surprised how well some Farberware knives held up. They were similar to the Calphalon.

We tried some Chicago cutlery that were garbage after a few uses and would not hold a blade. Practically disposable knives.

Site Supporter
    I bought a JA Henkel international classic three piece starter set off amazon a few years ago. It was $99 - a 4”, 6” and an 8” . I bought a in drawer storage block and a steel rod at the same time. I hand wash them and so far they have worked great. Initially they were to hold me over until I got a “good” set; but I never felt the need to upgrade.

While I didn't buy a set, I have an assortment of Wusthoff Trident kitchen knives. I use an 8" chef's knife for practically everything except small-blade tasks, and this Ikon model has all the features: easy to get an edge with a steel, comfortable grip, great balance. I liked it so much, I ended up adding a variety of different blades over time.

Name:  knife - 1.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  51.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I just bought that chefs knife. It is extremely sharp and cuts/slices my bbq very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    While I didn't buy a set, I have an assortment of Wusthoff Trident kitchen knives. I use an 8" chef's knife for practically everything except small-blade tasks, and this Ikon model has all the features: easy to get an edge with a steel, comfortable grip, great balance. I liked it so much, I ended up adding a variety of different blades over time.

Name:  knife - 1.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  51.0 KB
    I got a 3 piece Ikon set (chef, carving and paring knives) and love them for all the reasons listed. I shopped around a little at the time and found them on new on ebay for much less than retail.

User Tag List