Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen knife set

Kitchen knife set

I am looking to buy a new kitchen knife set with cutlery block. I would like to keep it in the $200-$300 range.

Would like to ask y'all for experience-based recommendations on what kind to get.

Cutlery blocks suck. I've got no good suggestions at the moment but others may chime in, a good knife set is two knives you pick out to work with and then some other cheapos to be disposable.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Cutlery blocks suck. I've got no good suggestions at the moment but others may chime in, a good knife set is two knives you pick out to work with and then some other cheapos to be disposable.
    Why do cutlery blocks suck?

What two knives do you recommend? An 8" chef's knife and a paring knife? Wustof?

Mold, moisture, crud, hard on edges.

I'm looking at an 8" or so chef knife and perhaps a 4" as well. Do the rest with the cheapo knife sets with the colored handles. All stored on a magnetic strip (wood covered).
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Why do cutlery blocks suck?

What two knives do you recommend? An 8" chef's knife and a paring knife? Wustof?
    There are sanitary issues with many cutlery blocks. I keep mine in their boxes in a drawer beneath the counter top.

(I've never owned one so can't speak to the other issues. My "good" kitchen knives are handmade by master smith Murray Carter from back when he was living and working in Japan and they were still affordable.)
    Last edited by blues; 01-07-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

95% of my kitchen duty is done with an 8 or 9" (can't remember) chef's knife and a paring knife. A boning knife would be nice, but I've managed to survive with out it thus far.

I have a 15 piece Kitchen Aid knife block set that someone bought me years ago from Target for right about $100, I'd guess. It's been fine, and it's nice to have a cheap set around for my in-laws to abuse. Santa brought me a 3 piece Shun Premier set this year that is very nice. I could have probably done without the utility knife, but that's me.

I also have a Ken Onion WorkSharp and really should round it out with a nice end-grain wood cutting board.

At your price point, I'd probably go with Cutco. Free sharpening FTW.
    David S.

I like Shun for big knives and Global for little knives. How they fit in your hand and you hold the knife will determine how well they work for you.

For general purpose knives I like the Wustoff Pro knives from Williams Sonoma and the Dexter Sanisafe knives that I can get at Ace Mart. They are commercial kitchen grade cutlery. They are not pretty or particulary nice, but they hold an edge well and there's no love lost if one gets damaged. I think they are much better quality than the big box store sets. If you're not sure about what you want Williams Sonoma has a 90 day return policy with receipt.

An angled cutlery block that will take the blades spine down will resolve any issues with damage to the edges. If you're using magnetic strips it's important to twist the knives on and off the strip, and use the spine as a pivot. On the first night, put a box with a towel under a magnetic strip to catch any knives that are just heavy enough to slide off the strip overnight.
    Last edited by txdpd; 01-07-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Victorinox is recommended by Cooks Illustrated as a good working knife brand that won't break the bank. I like Global for my everyday use. Good hard steel that holds an edge and is not crazy expensive. $120 or so for a chef's knife. I also use a magnetic strip rather than a block.

Old image from prior residence when we had our Carter knives on a magnetic strip:

Name:  Muteki.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  40.9 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

http://www.coldsteel.com/kitchen-cla...knife-set.html

I bought this set 12 years ago. My only complaint is that the handle material used at that time has degraded a bit on the 2 most used knives (the chef and paring knives). It appears they have recently changed the handle material, maybe it will hold up better. I didn't start having problems with the handles until I discovered that my wife had been putting them in the dishwasher. For the 1st 10years I had them they were problem free.

User Tag List