Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen knife set

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Old image from prior residence when we had our Carter knives on a magnetic strip:

Attachment 22863
    Those knives should have their own theme song.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I've been using a Wusthof set for the last ten years or so, and have been very pleased. I also have a Heinkels 9 inch chef knife I've used for over 40 years, but I don't think the Heinkels of today are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    ...I also have a Ken Onion WorkSharp....
    So do I, and it's a great tool.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    You probably don't want one of these:

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device via Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    You probably don't want one of these:

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device via Tapatalk
    As a matter of fact, I do... Lol.

I have a Work Sharp. Love it. I also have 3 Victorinox boning knives and a Victorinox 8" breaking knife that I use for butchering wild game. All stored on a magnetic strip. Good stuff from a utility standpoint.

I guess I was thinking of the block because our steak knives are junk too. Thought a nice matched set would be the way to go. We have always stored ours spine down in the block to avoid edge damage. Hadn't considered the sanitary issues. Is that primarily in humid environments?

Maybe I will grab a couple of Wustof knives for the kitchen and start the quest to find a good steak knife set.

I appreciate the responses.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 01-07-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Check this bad boy out. Seems like a good price.

Site Supporter
    We have a set of zwilling j.a. henckels knives that I really like. They have held up pretty well to the abuse that they take (with the exception of the paring knife who's tip was wedged under a jar lid to break the vacuum seal.) They have fairly thin flat blades that I like, but have the traditional handles. My wife disposed of the block that they came in and boy do I miss it.

We have a 2 knife set of Cascade by Ken Onion knives with the ergonomic handles. The blades are much thicker and more curved than the henckels knives and I wasn't really crazy about them at first. Chopping requires more of a rocking motion that took me a while to adapt to.

We also have a 3 knife set of Kyocera ceramic knives. They're great for chopping vegetables with thin sharp blades, and their edges have held up well considering they're often used on plates or even the granite counters.

So I guess my recommendation is be mindful of the thickness and curvature of the blade when you're knife shopping. I'd love some damascus clad blade knives, but can't justify the expense and it would drive me crazy to see them abused as they would be here.

My wife bought me a Victorinox 14" slicing knife with the granton blade as a Christmas present last year. I thought what's the big deal, what does it do that a good 9" chefs knife can't? Slice is the answer. It's fantastic for cutting brisket and boneless hams. Highly recommend one for slicing roasts, briskets, hams, etc.
    Last edited by JclInAtx; 01-07-2018 at 06:04 PM.

You know how people buy guns that are mil spec and then they buy special guns for fancier stuff? Knives are the same kind of thing. For example, the Victorinox that is recommended (around $40 for 8" chef's knife), is a western style, German steel, no bolster, commercial grade knife. Eastern style knives are different (shape as well as use), and in some cases, they may only use one knife (Chinese cleaver). German steel is a spec, that has to both meet a standard and be placed on the knife. (example 50CrMoV15) These are typically stamped knifes and they don't have a bolster. Knives with a bolster are forged, tend to hold their edge longer, but the bolster will get in the way when sharpening. Forged knives are also typically stiffer, as they are thicker, as well as heavier (balance is different).
    Knives that can be used in commercial uses, must have NSF certification, which means no more knives with natural wood scales. (most are some sort of plastic)

Point being, you might want to figure out your uses (example of the roast slicer in the above post, if you smoke meat often), budget, sharpening tools available and then look at something like building your own knife block (food grade wood with bamboo skewers to hold the knives, means knives don't have to match, can be changed out and the entire thing can be washed easily).
    I sharpen knives for a friends restaurant, and what is used there are inexpensive, Victorinox clones (stamped german steel, but made in a different country, so the metal is the same quality, but sub $10), so when they got some stuff, I ordered myself some, for my limited cooking, and the fact I can easily sharpen them on my Tormek. My next door neighbor is a retired Austrian chef, with a set of forged knives he has that are at least 40 years old. Then I have a Japanese chef friend, with Eastern style as well as some western style knives.
    I choose the knives individually, based on needs. Bread knife, chef's knife, paring knife, and then a utility knife. I've picked up other, less used (roast slicer) knives as I have found deals on them.
    Sorry for the long winded post.

We have several of the Victorinox kitchen knives (a few 8”, a 6”, a paring, and a bread) and a worksharp. Someone insists on putting all of the knives in the dishwasher so cheap knives plus sharpener is the best solution for us.

I am in the market for a ~$150 chefs knife myself and will hide it in the gun safe between uses.

Re: steak knives and serrations...
    Steak knives are serrated because serrated doesn’t need sharpening as often and plates are hard on an edge, not because it’s the best for cutting steak.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/h...ak-knives.html

I’m thinking of getting these
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazingRibs-c.../dp/B0078NUGN8
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-08-2018 at 06:37 AM.

I have several Global knives they have held up very well and do keep an edge longer then my Tramontina and Mundial kitchen knives. given up sharpening them myself, at least once a year
    they end up at a restaurant sharpening operation for a new edge.

Cutlery blocks are fine, whether hardwood, resin or plastic, as long as the knife is thoroughly clean and dry when (carefully) inserted into the slot.
    Wooden cutting boards are OK too, if you keep them clean. (Glass cutting boards can dull cutlery edges.)

The most important things for keeping knives used for food preparation in good shape IME are:

Good quality knives to start with;

Clean and thoroughly dry each knife by hand after use, before putting it away;

Putting each knife in a place that protects its edge;

Steel the edge after every use.
    Last edited by SAWBONES; 01-08-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List