Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bill Allard on the 45 Auto

They were outstanding shots as well. It's a proven formula: Cherry pick some of your best, toughest and most competitive guys, put them through a tough training program emphasizing shooting and you will get a unit that can wipe the floor with the opposition. The NYPD stakeout squad would have racked up an amazing score if they had been all armed with black powder Navy Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    IIRC it was @Mas who wrote the story and it was a Star PD .45.
    I think it was cooper, Africa, and a 9 Star. Can’t prove it though.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The stake out guys ambushed their opponents, and I have no objection to that. My opinion(nothing more)is that their mindset was their stong point.
    The stakeout unit took many more prisoners than it took lives. That says a whole lot about their mindsets and their capabilities.

ETA: not disagreeing with you, just wanted to point out something that isn't talked about much.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 01-14-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I'm in agreement with JAD and Wondering Beard, above, on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I think it was cooper, Africa, and a 9 Star. Can’t prove it though.
    Would've been a Star model B. I'm trying to remember his name but for some reason I am drawing a blank.

Shot the first mag out weak hand only due to a damaged right hand and then after reloading he went back to his strong hand.

It was more than one shot a target though as I recall.

He was if I remember correctly, an Eland Armoured car commander.

Will post a link as soon as I remember his name.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

2nd Lieutenant Van Vuuren

Mention is made on page 4 of this

https://sa-soldier.com/data/09-SADF-...ridge%2014.pdf

Will try find something more details
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

It’s heavily covered in Duane Thomas’s 1997 “The Truth about Handguns” but I can’t bring myself to buy a copy.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    I'm in agreement with JAD and Wondering Beard, above, on both counts.
    There are probably worse things than confusing you with Cooper. But there's no excuse for forgetting the pistol.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Hambo, you are spot on with this.

I have long maintained much of the effectiveness attributed to .45 acp back in the day was the result of better shot placement due to the “shootability” of the 1911 rather than the .45 being the hammer of Thor.

As another old school gun guy, former African Professsional hunter Finn Agaard said with regard to dangerous game “shot placement is 90 percent of killing power.”

Finn Aagaard was such a treasure. He never reached the popularity of many others, I believe in part due to the fact that he was not a showman, nor much of a self promoter like Jeff Copper. Aagaard was completely practical in nature. He was a big fan of the 30-06 and later the .308. The comment about " “shot placement is 90 percent of killing power.” is absolutely spot on! I have hunted large game (such as elk) with a .308 for good while now and have read a great many times over the years about how you need larger cartridges, usually at least a 7mm mag, with a .338 being the ideal elk cartridge. But Finn Aagaard's comment about shot placement seems to hold completely true. No matter if you are putting down vehicle struck elk with a .45 or shooting them a few football fields away with a .308.

I miss reading his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The stake out guys ambushed their opponents, and I have no objection to that. My opinion(nothing more)is that their mindset was their stong point.

You are right. Mindset was pretty strong. These guys had no issue with getting the job done.

Bottom line:

Don't be a predator committing armed robberies, pointing guns at people and you won't get blasted when the tables suddenly get turned.

Not only do I have no objection to their methods, I wish more armed robbers would find out what it feels like to suddenly be the victim instead of the victimizer. If a bunch of these earth sacks (PC word for dirt bag) were getting their guts spread over the floor of the local 7-11 on a somewhat frequent basis, I bet it would not take long before word got out, that it was a bad idea to rob people at gun point and robberies would drop off quite dramatically.

User Tag List