Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminal performance: 115/124/148gr,

Terminal performance: 115/124/148gr,

Fairly recent convert from .45acp to 9mm. In defensive ammo, what are the collective thoughts between these common bullet weights? Pros/cons, etc.

My experience has been heavier bullets have more felt recoil, and since I practice with 115gr ammo, my occasional practice forays with the 148gr reminds me of the difference between .38 and .357. (Well, that's an exaggeration, but you get my drift.)

Anyhoo, who uses 115/124/148gr defensive ammo and why? Do you practice with the same bullet weight?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I primarily use the 147gr Gold Dot for carry, but have used the 135gr Crit Defense +P. For practice I get whatever I can buy a case (or three) of for the lowest shipped cost but I do try to avoid the Russian bullshit. I also try to buy carry ammo by the 500 or 1k quantities so I have enough to verify POA/POI. Some folks are more particular than I but I don't really worry about any terminal difference from a proven load when compared to another in the same chambering.

I refer to Doc's work for anything from loads to minutia.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I shoot whatever I can get the cheapest. Usually 115 grain remans by U.S. Cartridge, ordered from Ammunition Depot($0.16 per round). For carry I use Federal HST 124 grain standard pressure. I base that decision on the testing by The Lucky Gunner. I don’t notice any difference in recoil or poi between my practice and carry ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In 9mm there's not enough difference in recoil to matter.

As far as defensive ammo goes, if it makes the Doc's list, I'm good with it.

For practice, whatever's cheapest and keeps the gun reliable.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    My experience has been heavier bullets have more felt recoil, and since I practice with 115gr ammo, my occasional practice forays with the 148gr reminds me of the difference between .38 and .357. (Well, that's an exaggeration, but you get my drift.
    Interesting. My perception is that standard pressure 115 has more felt recoil than 147 in the same brand(Speer Lawman), and the muzzle energy numbers back that up.

Competitive action pistol shooters seem to prefer the heavier bullets.

I try to use similar 147gr loads for practice and carry. Preferred are HST for carry and Lawman or American Eagle for practice. I will use other 124gr for practice but have seen too much POI shift with 115.
    Last edited by peterb; 01-06-2018 at 08:02 AM.

An agency I am affiliated with issues 124 +p gold dot. It works well but I am free to use what I want and in 9mm, I use 147 gr. HST. I like the heavier bullets because they perform similarly in short barrels as well as longer barrels, I perceive them to have mild recoil and I see little benefit in +p in this caliber. I would have no qualms about carrying 124gr. rounds. We used to issue 147 and had no problems, but the +p gold dots were viewed as an upgrade by someone. I am unsure which does better through auto glass, but I am unlikely to need the capability. For training/practice/range use when I am paying for the ammo, I shoot primarily 147 gr, but will also use 124 when I can get a good deal. I generally avoid 115 gr. for anything. Generally I prefer the heavier weights in any caliber semi auto, and that probably plays into my choice.

Check some of the "stickys" in the ammunition forum here -- they may be helpful.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    AE 147 gr for practice
    HST 147 gr for carry

Why: It's my free option, thanks to work.

"AE 147 gr for practice
    HST 147 gr for carry"
    What a coincidence, that is exactly my option--and as an added bonus, they even work very well...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 01-06-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

147 standard pressure HST for carry, 147 Lawman FMJ for practice.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List