Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal Hydra-Shok Deep

New Federal Hydra-Shok Deep

Interesting.

Wasn't Hornady the first to offer a defensive 135gr 9mm? It must be a good practical weight between 124 and 147 as Federal is now offering a new "Hydra-Shok Deep" with a 135gr bullet.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/fed...#axzz53LqaxV9N

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That hollow point tip looks just like the hornady critical duty round with the polymer plug taken out, interesting new round I'll get some and test but stick with my 147g+P HST...

Paging @DocGKR...

My initial impression is to keep on keeping on with my preference for 124 GDHP, but I hope somebody wakes me if Federal puts out a 135 deep in .38+P. I’ve been waiting for a modern reboot of the 147+P+ Hydra-Shok to no avail; sounds like they might have a chance to do something good for the old .38 Special if they don’t cock it up. I haven’t been motivated to get up off the couch for the 130 HST yet.

An up-powered 135 deep competitor to the 135 GDHP in .357 mag could also be cool. They could call it the "balls deep."

Just looking at the unsupported jacket at the tip... I'm guessing it wont fare well against hard barriers like glass or steel. I could be wrong, but that is my guess. It looks like this will probably be more geared towards the self defense market than the LE market. Probably hoping to capitalize on the well known HydraShock name. I don't understand "why" they'd bother ... when they have a bunch of HST bullets that perform really well. But new stuff sells.

ETA: The dual cannelures do look like they'd help keep the jacket and core together, similar to Critical Duty and HST
    Last edited by WDR; 01-05-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Add another thought.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Just looking at the unsupported jacket at the tip... I'm guessing it wont fare well against hard barriers like glass or steel. I could be wrong, but that is my guess. It looks like this will probably be more geared towards the self defense market than the LE market. Probably hoping to capitalize on the well known HydraShock name. I don't understand "why" they'd bother ... when they have a bunch of HST bullets that perform really well. But new stuff sells.

ETA: The dual cannelures do look like they'd help keep the jacket and core together, similar to Critical Duty and HST
    Some HST 147 has a dual cannelure. I wonder if this doesn't help reduce pressure by relieving some surface area. Or it could be there to help lock the jacket and core together.

It seems somewhat odd to me that Federal still loads the Hydra when the HST is such a good design. It would seem counterproductive to have a load that's a direct competitor to the HST. What does the Hydra-Shok offer that the HST does not?

Last edited by Tokarev; 01-06-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Interesting.

Wasn't Hornady the first to offer a defensive 135gr 9mm? It must be a good practical weight between 124 and 147 as Federal is now offering a new "Hydra-Shok Deep" with a 135gr bullet.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/fed...#axzz53LqaxV9N

Federal was the first (to my knowledge) with this traditional Hydra Shock loaf
    https://www.luckygunner.com/9-mm-135...eral-20-rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first 9 mm 135 gr load was the 9 mm Federal Tactical bonded load:

9mm Fed 135 gr +P JHP LE9T5 (lot #3 24T318) S&W 5906

Bare: VEL = 1070 f/s PEN = 16.0” RD = 0.58” RL = 0.36” RW = 126.6 gr

Denim: VEL = 1067 f/s PEN = 16.3” RD = 0.55” RL = 0.45” RW = 134.0 gr
    Last edited by DocGKR; 01-06-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

"Deep"

Why not just use a flat nose 147gr round at this point which you know will over penetrate...?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

ATK owns Federal & Speer so is it really shocking that there is technology bleeding from one product line to another?

Hydrashock is getting upgraded...

We live in an age of frame lock Emerson knives available in Walmart, surefire lights available on amazon, reliable handguns available for $275 (S&W Shield) & hydrashock coming into the 21st century!

An age of wonderful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Some HST 147 has a dual cannelure. I wonder if this doesn't help reduce pressure by relieving some surface area. Or it could be there to help lock the jacket and core together.

It seems somewhat odd to me that Federal still loads the Hydra when the HST is such a good design. It would seem counterproductive to have a load that's a direct competitor to the HST. What does the Hydra-Shok offer that the HST does not?

Name recognition.

User Tag List