Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide: Healthy, Easy, Gourmet Cooking for Idiots

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Sous Vide: Healthy, Easy, Gourmet Cooking for Idiots

[I mentioned this in the, “Do you even cook, bro?” thread, but I didn’t want to hijack that thread, so I created another one.]

My New Year’s Resolution almost always consists of, “spend less money,” and “lose weight.” If y’all are anything like us, you eat out too much, which aggravates both issues: eating out is pricey, and it’s usually not all that healthy.

The most proffered solution to this vexing conundrum is “cook stuff at home.” But that usually requires two things: energy/time, and the skill/ability to cook things. When you have DoorDash in your area and you’re exhausted when you get home, the energy/time thing is a factor. When you have to look up instructions when you boil water (…sadly, not kidding), the latter becomes an issue.

I may have happened upon the perfect solution over the holidays. I would usually never comment on anything cooking-related because it’s so far outside my wheel-house, but I’m so stoked about this I wanted to share.

I found one of these Anova “Sous Vide” machines in a holiday buyer’s guide, and took a gamble on one. If you have no idea what “sous vide” is, you’re not alone. Had it not been for the buyer’s guide layman’s explanation, I wouldn’t have bothered Googling it. Basically: you “vacuum seal” things in a bag, then submerse the bag in an extremely consistent hot water bath for some period of time. You don’t need anything fancy to “vacuum” seal the bags, you basically just squeeze as much air out of them as you can.

Because the contents of the bag are immersed in water at a certain temperature, everything in the bag is heated to a consistent temperature. Because the bag is sealed, whatever’s inside can’t dry out the way most food would if you cooked it via other methods. What results is a nearly foolproof cooking method that requires little more than a sous vide apparatus and some Zip-Loc bags.

Once the food is done soaking, you can pull it out and sear it if you want. Searing isn’t necessary, but it adds a bit of flavor and makes the texture familiar (one common complaint about sous vide isn’t that the food tastes “weird,” just that it tastes “different.”)

It’s effectively idiot-proof. To give you an example of how easy it is: I have never managed to finish cooking a steak that didn’t result in the meat being reduced to charcoal or still mooing. The first try at cooking a steak earlier this week looked like this:

Name:  steak.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  82.0 KB

We tried simple boneless, skinless chicken breasts the next evening. They ended up evenly cooked, juicy, and flavorful. Probably not conveyed in the included picture, but here’s a picture nonetheless.

Name:  chicken.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  80.4 KB

Last night we tried tilapia. We sealed it in the bag with some Italian dressing, then my SO seared it when we were done. Again, idiot-proof (speaking about myself, not my SO [love you, honey]). Juicy, flavorful, restaurant-quality stuff. I would have taken a photo, but I was too busy eating.

An additional benefit: you don’t even need to thaw the meat before you cook it. Add some extra time in the water bath, and the thing will thaw naturally, then cook. So if you forget to set out food to thaw the night before, you just need to wait a little longer the next day.

The cleanup is trivial: throw away the bags and wash the frying pan. That's it.

There were a few people in the aforementioned thread that had worked with sous vide before, so I hope they’ll chime in here. We’re really looking to learn the ins-and-outs, dos-and-don’ts, because this seems like the answer to a lot of our food-related troubles.
    Last edited by Chance; 01-05-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

CARROTS! Cook them tonight.

For lunches it's hard to beat chicken cooked sous vide as you can vary the texture to the dish and break some monotony.

For steaks I like to do a faux dry aging now and again. Often times a little fish sauce and soy sauce it all I use and cook right away without letting it sit.

Recipe: Faux Dry Aged Steak Marinade (inspired by Modernist Cuisine at Home)
    Feel free to substitute or remove any of the ingredients below, or alter the quantities to your taste. All of the recommended ingredients are high in glutamic acid, amplifying the umami flavor in the meat.
    Yield: enough for 4 steaks
    Ingredients:

3 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. MSG (freaked out? Don’t be)
    3 tbsp. fish sauce
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 tbsp. roasted garlic, minced
    1 tbsp. blue cheese
    ½ tsp. anchovy paste
    Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
    To season, divide the marinade among the bags, add the steak, and vacuum seal using your preferred method. This can be done just before cooking.
    For even stronger flavor, marinate the steaks in the refrigerator up to 24-hours before cooking. This sauce can be made ahead of time and stored, refrigerated, for one month.

For steaks the thing I've found to be best for me is to cook for 1-2 hours at 127, quick dunk in cold water to chill, and then hit the sear even more aggressive. Pre-searing works quite well too, I actually need to play with it more. I did some sirloin tip roasts this way, sear it into another dimension and then bag and cook at 130 for a few hours.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Love my Anova cooker. Sous vide had been getting a lot of use in my home while I make other food or sides while the meat cooks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I must be retarded cause I can’t get the food out of my unit to not taste funny. Went out and bought some bags specific for the vide and still get this kind of plastic taste.

I’m in an apartment with electric stove, so grilling inside is out. Sucks. I had decent luck with baking chicken breasts in the oven, but I miss stake...

Funny this thread pops up. My girlfriend just got me a Sous Vide for Christmas and I absolutely love it. I had heard great things but after using it, I will never go back to cooking steak the old way again. It not only makes food better but it’s so much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    All you need is a cast iron pan to cook a heck of a good steak with stove. Heat the pan, quick sear of the steak, minute on each side, then into the oven to finish. Or reverse sear which is just in the opposite order.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    All you need is a cast iron pan to cook a heck of a good steak with stove. Heat the pan, quick sear of the steak, minute on each side, then into the oven to finish. Or reverse sear which is just in the opposite order.
    We tried a reverse sear on a steak for the first time about a week ago, and were VERY pleased with the results. The only negative was that it took longer than expected. (Recipe we found said it would take about 30-40 minutes in the oven, but it ended up being more like an hour.) We weren't in a hurry, and it was FAR less smokey than doing the "normal" sear and then put it in the oven method, so reverse searing is likely going to be our go-to for steaks going forward. I'd happily try sous vide, but given how well reverse sear worked, and that sous vide would mean buying additional equipment, we probably won't bother.
    Last edited by olstyn; 01-05-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Sous Vide: Healthy, Easy, Gourmet Cooking for Idiots

The best steaks I have ever had have come from my cast iron skillet. And I even have an electric glass top...

I will admit I haven’t done the water bath method of cooking...what advantages does it really provide over a traditionally cooked meal? Is it the set it and forget it aspect? The ease of the finished product? For me it has always seemed like an alien way of cooking. Kinda like boil in bag rice...

Last edited by Skroob; 01-05-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Not related to the OP but we reverse sear some of the time. 30-45 min (depending on size) in the smoker and a few minutes in the cast iron skillet. Downside is the house gets smoky so most of the time we just smoke longer and skip the sear. Delicious but you don't get that crisp outer edge. Just finished eating a T Bone cooked that way.

Related to the OP, I'd like to try the Sous Vide method someday.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FOG; 01-05-2018 at 10:12 PM.

I’ve used the searing and oven method for years and that was my preferred way until trying souse vide a week ago. It cooks absolutely perfectly evenly and it’s easy as it’s impossible to overcook the meat. If a steak is a little thicker than another, its irrelevant, they all turn out the same.

User Tag List