Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How you hold the shotgun...

Trying to get a correct mount for many women, and especially a novice is difficult. It is a critical part of my instruction when teaching. The stick on my wife’s clays gun to put her on a perfect mount to the cheek is a contraption at a bunch of different angles that resembles nothing of a conventional Stock. You combine that with possible cross eye dominance, and there is a ton of diagnosis that will need to take place to figure it out.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Ken Hackathorn demonstrating Rob Haught's technique. After some practice it works amazingly well.

As others have mentioned, she's just flinching.

https://youtu.be/7jncWh1BPzw
    Will flinching cause patterns to open drastically?

I will note that shooting off-hand or seated my slugs are centered. Shooting from the prone, they drift right. I find that interesting.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 01-06-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post

I will note that shooting off-hand or seated my slugs are centered. Shooting from the prone, they drift right. I find that interesting.
    No, on the first question. It just makes the shot charge go somewhere else than where you intended.

On the second issue, could be a trigger pull issue. That’s another guess though.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Trying to get a correct mount for many women, and especially a novice is difficult. It is a critical part of my instruction when teaching. The stick on my wife’s clays gun to put her on a perfect mount to the cheek is a contraption at a bunch of different angles that resembles nothing of a conventional Stock. You combine that with possible cross eye dominance, and there is a ton of diagnosis that will need to take place to figure it out.
    She's a tall girl, but they benelli stock is long. By the end of the session, I was giving her full power buckshot, and placing her 10 to 15 yards from the target, which was a 2x8x14 lumber, placed on my target frame at head height. She started from low ready, and on command was hitting it in about 1.5 seconds or so. About like "go"...boom shuck shuck..."fires". (Gun started loaded, wording for cadence description). She centered it each time and had fun. Her shoulder had no marks the next day either. Had a blast!

I have tested my theory. The only difference was in POI, which was about 8-10" higher, when held loosely with a pillow between my shoulder and the weapon, and my feet next to each other, vs. a solid stance with the weapon "choked".

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post

Is your prone position A frame behind the gun or offset to one side? I found offset to change point of impact with heavier recoiling long guns. Gun would track more to the side under more recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Is your prone position A frame behind the gun or offset to one side? I found offset to change point of impact with heavier recoiling long guns. Gun would track more to the side under more recoil.
    I have tried both, and noted the same as you.

The reason I asked about sights & cross eye dominance is ... if the gun has a bead & she's cross eye dominant, if she is sighting with the opposite eye that'd put the pattern way off because the sight alignment would be off.

The recoil mitigation via mount, etc could well be the issue too.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 01-10-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    The reason I asked about sights & cross eye dominance is ... if the gun has a bead & she's cross eye dominant, if she is sighting with the opposite eye that'd put the pattern way off because the sight alignment would be off.

The recoil mitigation via mount, etc could well be the issue too.
    Ghost rings were used.

All of my wife's shotgun shooting issues magically disappeared when I bought her a Benelli M2 20ga. with an extended tube.
    The much softer recoil impulse combined with the added weight way out front had her consistently knocking down plates, poppers and clays where before she was erratic (12ga. flinch).
    She always liked 12ga., but couldn't actually shoot it for shit.
    Just because a shooter likes something, has no bruising, and "had a good time" doesn't mean they're not flinching or jerking from recoil anticipation.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List