Thread: Installing Apex Extractor G19 Gen 3?

Installing Apex Extractor G19 Gen 3?

I didn't want to derail a current Glock thread, and searched all over for the answer, but could not find anything.

I have a Gen 3 G19. It is BFNZxxx serial number, and it was purchased new a few weeks ago now.

It's been having BTF issues since the beginning, there are now about 600 rounds through it. I did install the 30274 ejector, but the improvements were minor.

I did buy the Apex extractor, but am still waiting on the non-lci spring loaded bearing to come in.

So now my question is:

How much of a drop-in fit is the Apex extractor? I see that Apex's website mentions there may need to be minor fitting done on it.

Did many of you have to have the extractor fitted? Or did you have an armorer/gunsmith install it for you?

I wouldn't be so hesitant to file it down, but it's a $60 part.

I don't really do much work on any of my guns, because practically never modify anything. I did install the ejector without issue, but I don't know if that says much.

Thanks for any advice and pointers

Site Supporter
    Read this thread, particularly the first post. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....mm-issues-quot

Unload your weapon three times and then go to another room that doesn't have ammo in it before starting. I'm not liable for stuff you break nor if your Glock isn't 1000% reliable afterwards and therefore you die on the streets.

Install a 30274 ejector $7, even if your 9mm Glock isn't a Gen4.
    Install a White Sound H.R.E.D $15
    Polish the top and bottom horizontal surfaces of the extractor with something light like say toothpaste and this Dremel wheel. You want the extractor to slide in out and smoothly, like using cornstarch in a Zentai suit. Just a light polish.
    Get the latest RSA (recoil spring assembly) by calling Glock's customer service or ordering online
    Test fire. The best way to see if you've fixed the problem is to use weaker range ammo, not high powered NATO or carry ammo
    If you still have the problem, grab an APEX extractor and install per the instructions. I recommend just ordering and installing this, the HRED, and the ejector (if you don't have it) along with checking with Glock to make sure you have the latest and greatest RSA (recoil spring adapter) in order to save yourself time.

These steps have worked for me and others I know. My Gen4 G17 gobbled up Wolf, Tula, Blazer, carry ammo, and WWB with aplomb and good ejection last weekend in the rain and sleet at the GreenOps Defensive Pistol I class.
    Also, what ammo have you been running ?

If you haven’t done so, try some hotter ammo such as nato spec or +p. Glocks are designed to run on hottter ammo.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-04-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Yes, I have read the thread.

I noticed that I forgot to mention that I am also waiting on the HRED to get here (it is coming with the non-lci spring loaded bearing). I will try that before installing the Apex, but I just want to have the info ready in case the HRED does not work.

ETA: I have only shot Speer Lawman 124 gr so far. I guess I can try some +p though.
    Last edited by ChknLivrNWsky; 01-04-2018 at 08:11 PM.

I installed the apex extractor on a G19 I acquired last August, it didn't require any fitting. Since you already installed the 30274 ejector, I would just throw in both the HRED and Apex extractor then examine ejection. I am currently using that combo and now my Glock ejects like my P2000.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChknLivrNWsky View Post
    Yes, I have read the thread.

I noticed that I forgot to mention that I am also waiting on the HRED to get here (it is coming with the non-lci spring loaded bearing). I will try that before installing the Apex, but I just want to have the info ready in case the HRED does not work.
    In addition to the HRED, try polishing the top and bottom surfaces of your stock extractor as detailed by LL.

Completely anecdotal but IME, Glocks with BTF issues tend to have tight fitting extractors which have to be pryed out when detail stripping the gun. Glocks with looser fitting extractors which drop out easily or which can be pushed out easily tend to have better extraction and ejection.

Thanks, good to know on the fitment of extractors.

I'll try it out.

I've installed a few of them with no fitting and they have worked problem free for thousands of rounds. Made a noticeable improvement to me on a few G3 G19 pistols that were wacking me in the head. I only do it if needed, most of Glocks are fine but a few of them were really problem childs.

User Tag List