Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coated lead bullets

coated lead bullets

Has anyone ever used these bullets. I was thinking of trying some to shoot out of my .38 revolver. The question I have is.....will they prevent or help decrease the amount of leading. I know with cast bullets if you go over a certain velocity with a certain bhn hardness you will get leading I have read. I was just woundering if these would help with that.

Site Supporter
    I've used coated bullets in .38 Special, 9x19 and .45 ACP. They eliminate both the leading and the smoke from the lube. I'm currently loading the last of my uncoated bullets and in the future will only order uncoated when the bullets I need aren't available coated.

Use them with confidence and strong preference. I’ve loaded many 10’s of thousands in 9mm and maybe 100 in .38.

No leading.

You aren’t going to have any issues with velocity in .38spl
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I'll never go back to non coated again unless there's an extremely compelling reason (like some stupid law making the coating illegal, which I do not anticipate).

A long time ago I used to load .38 Special target loads with copper-plated double-ended wadcutters. No lead fouling, good accuracy.

They're quite popular in competition and you shouldn't see any particularly standout negatives.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I’ve had good luck with SNS and Bluebullets. I wouldn’t say zero leading, but nothing a light scrubbing after 3k rounds can’t take care of.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Haven't loaded .38s in decades, but these look good;

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...nded-wadcutter

I have shot close to 200K of various coated bullets. They are not all the same. Some (SNS or Bluebullets) are better than others. I have had some bad problems (leading) with others if I over-crimped them. One advice with all of them - do not use Lee sitting dies (Or any others that crimp simultaneously with sitting). It is difficult to adjust it to avoid the crimping. As soon as I ditched the die and started using Dillon's, the leading problem was solved.
    Last edited by cheby; 01-04-2018 at 12:39 PM.

User Tag List