Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samurai guarding Spanish silver shipments in Mexico with katanas

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Victor Davis Hanson's Carnage and Culture, written as something of a rebuttal piece, was interesting as well.
    I’ll have to give that one a read. Thanks!
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Give “Guns, Germs and Steel” a read if you haven’t. I found it pretty interesting.
    Carlo Cipolla was there first, without the "Western Civ Sucks" sub-text: Guns, Sails and Empires: Technological Innovation and European Expansion 1400-1700: Carlo Cipolla: 9780760701119: AmazonSmile: Books. Maybe that's why it's out of print...

Diamond lost me when he said that people from Papua New Guinea were smarter than Americans because people from Papua New Guinea knew more about the birds of Papua New Guinea than Americans.
    Says more about Jared Diamond than people from Papua New Guinea that the thought it was a profound observation that people from a place knew more about the place than others.
    Yes, I know he tried to backtrack it in a later book, it was a dumb enough statement he should have stopped and rephrased it when he first wrote it.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Carlo Cipolla was there first, without the "Western Civ Sucks" sub-text: Guns, Sails and Empires: Technological Innovation and European Expansion 1400-1700: Carlo Cipolla: 9780760701119: AmazonSmile: Books. Maybe that's why it's out of print...

Diamond lost me when he said that people from Papua New Guinea were smarter than Americans because people from Papua New Guinea knew more about the birds of Papua New Guinea than Americans.
    Says more about Jared Diamond than people from Papua New Guinea that the thought it was a profound observation that people from a place knew more about the place than others.
    Yes, I know he tried to backtrack it in a later book, it was a dumb enough statement he should have stopped and rephrased it when he first wrote it.
    Sensationalism sells. (Hence the popularity of such (nitwits) as O'Reilly and various (so-called) academic pseudo-intellectuals.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The people of PNG are no smarter, or dumber, than the people of any other country I've met.
    They're people like all people are people.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I did not realize there was a 1493. I will have to put that book in line to read.

1491 is an interesting and eye-opening read, and this is another endorsement for that book if anyone is interested in American history. Settlement, or the potential non-settlement rather, of the East Coast would have been far different if the indigenous people had not been essentially wiped out by disease. Someone may correct my memory, but it is right to say upwards of 90% of the indigenous people on parts of the East Coast were wiped out after first contact with Europeans? Whole villages of Indians simply disappeared.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Just bought 1491, and will read it tonight.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I did not realize there was a 1493. I will have to put that book in line to read.

1491 is an interesting and eye-opening read, and this is another endorsement for that book if anyone is interested in American history. Settlement, or the potential non-settlement rather, of the East Coast would have been far different if the indigenous people had not been essentially wiped out by disease. Someone may correct my memory, but it is right to say upwards of 90% of the indigenous people on parts of the East Coast were wiped out after first contact with Europeans? Whole villages of Indians simply disappeared.
    Whole tribes, in some cases. And there are those who deny some of them ever existed, which chaps my hide a bit.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Whole tribes, in some cases.
    Yup. Virgin-field epidemics of smallpox, malaria, plague...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Speaking of Native Americans and the great migration, I came across an interesting article today in the BBC online...

The 11,500-year-old remains of an infant girl from Alaska have shed new light on the peopling of the Americas.
    Genetic analysis of the child, allied to other data, indicates she belonged to a previously unknown, ancient group.
    Scientists say what they have learnt from her DNA strongly supports the idea that a single wave of migrants moved into the continent from Siberia just over 20,000 years ago.

Lower sea-levels back then would have created dry land in the Bering Strait.
    It would have submerged again only as northern ice sheets melted and retreated.

The pioneering settlers became the ancestors of all today's Native Americans, say Prof Eske Willerslev and colleagues. His team has published its genetics assessment in the journal Nature.

ETA: I could swear I've read 1491 but since I don't have a record of it I guess I'll have to have a look and find out.
    Last edited by blues; 01-03-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Probably not homo sapiens, but some hominin was apparently smashing mastodon bones with a rock south of San Diego about 130,000 years ago.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/eleme...han-we-thought
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List