Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: First 1911

I'm sure Dan Wesson makes a fine gun, but do some research on their Duty Finish issues and the galling issues with their stainless guns.

I'm not sure either is a real problem, but the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the Dan Wesson sub-forums about both issues, and their break-in procedures is painful to read.

A Springfield Loaded, whatever Springfield's fixed sight Range Officer model is called, a Ruger, or a beavertailed, fixed sight Colt would be a good choice. Heck, the Kimber Custom II and TLE II are pretty nice for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    There are only two things I recommend folks decide on when choosing their first 1911...

1. Do you want/need adjustable sights?

2. Do you want/need a beavertail grip safety?

Choosing wrong on either will cost you some money and probably grinding/welding on your frame/slide. Most will choose a fixed sight and a beavertail, and because those are the most common offerings currently in the 1911 world, it is pretty easy to choose correctly. However, in this world of Glocks, folks don't often understand the different sight cuts on 1911's and switching from a GI grip safety to a beavertail is not usually just a simple parts swap.
    Fixed sights are fine. I have no real need for adjustable sights.

I just spent 50 rounds with a Remington R1 rental at a local range the other day that has the standard grip safety. It wasn’t an issue for me, but the beaver tail safety would be preferable if I had a choice.

I understand that if I got something basic that somewhat resembles an A1 variant that some work will need to be done to it. It’s also sounding like regardless of whom I go with, even the mighty Dan Wesson guns, there’s a decent chance something will need to be worked over on it, unless of course I end up paying for a full-house custom, which is way over budget.

I’m starting to feel the paralysis by analysis already...

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Fixed sights are fine. I have no real need for adjustable sights.

I just spent 50 rounds with a Remington R1 rental at a local range the other day that has the standard grip safety. It wasn’t an issue for me, but the beaver tail safety would be preferable if I had a choice.

I understand that if I got something basic that somewhat resembles an A1 variant that some work will need to be done to it. It’s also sounding like regardless of whom I go with, even the mighty Dan Wesson guns, there’s a decent chance something will need to be worked over on it, unless of course I end up paying for a full-house custom, which is way over budget.

I’m starting to feel the paralysis by analysis already...

In that case, I suggest that you get a basic 1911 that will be good for turning into an heirloom later on when the budget loosens up. This way, you'll have a classic 1911 that you can go shoot and have fun with every so often (since the basic grip safety doesn't seem to bother you) and later you can create an extraordinary 1911 that you'll be proud to own and pass on to your inheritors.

My suggestion for that type of 1911 is a Colt Series 70.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    In that case, I suggest that you get a basic 1911 that will be good for turning into an heirloom later on when the budget loosens up. This way, you'll have a classic 1911 that you can go shoot and have fun with every so often (since the basic grip safety doesn't seem to bother you) and later you can create an extraordinary 1911 that you'll be proud to own and pass on to your inheritors.

My suggestion for that type of 1911 is a Colt Series 70.
    And that’s kind of where I started, except I chose the 1991 initially. I like the idea and I’m perfectly fine with a basic 1911. I also like saving money too though and as I understand it I’d be paying extra for the work and features of upgrades on it later vs getting something closer to the finished product.

Enter the Colt Rail Gun and the Colt Combat Elite. That would put me much closer to exactly what I ultimately want so I’d have to pay less for custom work later. The only thing(s) missing would be front and back strap checkering and maybe an ambi safety. A rail could be handy, but not necessary.

Sights? I’d prefer fiber for something like this. Probably 10-8. On the DW gun’s I’d be paying for tritium sights that I’d ultimately toss to the side.

So I’m kinda thinking 1991 or CRG or CCE. All within my budget.

Site Supporter
    For a basic, slightly upgraded Series 70 Colt check out this auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/713258723

I owned one of those before I transitioned completely to 9mm and it was a solid gun. Really, if you buy a 5" Colt especially .45ACP chances are it will be fine.

If you are ever going to carry it and shoot it in, say, a class... my recommendation would be something with a beavertail and fixed sights. My brother has a combat elite and the only thing that needed replacing was the stock slide stop pin. And even then, it resulted in failures to lock back - nothing catastrophic. That was after 7,000 +/- rounds of classes, carry, range time, and competitions. It's a good gun.

And that’s kind of where I started, except I chose the 1991 initially. I like the idea and I’m perfectly fine with a basic 1911. I also like saving money too though and as I understand it I’d be paying extra for the work and features of upgrades on it later vs getting something closer to the finished product.

Enter the Colt Rail Gun and the Colt Combat Elite. That would put me much closer to exactly what I ultimately want so I’d have to pay less for custom work later. The only thing(s) missing would be front and back strap checkering and maybe an ambi safety. A rail could be handy, but not necessary.

Sights? I’d prefer fiber for something like this. Probably 10-8. On the DW gun’s I’d be paying for tritium sights that I’d ultimately toss to the side.

Both look like very nice guns, however, since this would be your first 1911, you don't know what you don't know. To give you an example, there are many different beavertail safety designs, some may fit you well, some may not and make it a "sometimes thing" when it comes to pressing it right; some thumb safeties will work great for you, some will just be horrible for you; and so on. You won't know until you try different variations. When it comes to getting your 1911 to become the great gun you want, it's not something you are likely to achieve on your first try and be done with, unless you're just interested in owning one "just because" and will rarely spend time with it.

I understand quite well your ponderings as I've been there myself when it came to my first 1911. At this point, I would then suggest that you try as many different variations of a gov't model 1911 that you can find. Any friend that has a 1911 should be on your list as odds are not a one will be exactly the same. Refine your understanding of the gun and then choose which way you will go. It may be that the Colts you mention will fit the bill, or it may not. When it comes to how a 1911 should be set up for your preferences, try before you buy.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Both look like very nice guns, however, since this would be your first 1911, you don't know what you don't know. To give you an example, there are many different beavertail safety designs, some may fit you well, some may not and make it a "sometimes thing" when it comes to pressing it right; some thumb safeties will work great for you, some will just be horrible for you; and so on. You won't know until you try different variations. When it comes to getting your 1911 to become the great gun you want, it's not something you are likely to achieve on your first try and be done with, unless you're just interested in owning one "just because" and will rarely spend time with it.

I understand quite well your ponderings as I've been there myself when it came to my first 1911. At this point, I would then suggest that you try as many different variations of a gov't model 1911 that you can find. Any friend that has a 1911 should be on your list as odds are not a one will be exactly the same. Refine your understanding of the gun and then choose which way you will go. It may be that the Colts you mention will fit the bill, or it may not. When it comes to how a 1911 should be set up for your preferences, try before you buy.
    I understand that there’s several different types of thumb safeties, but I guess I didn’t know there were multiple beavertail grip safeties available. Honestly I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot an arched MSH or a short trigger either. So maybe I’ll try before I buy a lot more with the plan to save for a 1991 at the very least.

Best bang for the buck in the colt lineup ia a Wiley Clapp. It's got the pricey stuff already built in for around $1100: Beavertail, checkering, rounded MSH, beveled magwell, true novak sights, commander hammer and a good barrel. $600 at the smith will get you a new grip safety (EGW or Smith and Alexander), thumb safety, and aluminum trigger, barrel bushing, and a refinish.

Personally, the only railed guns I see as "heirloom" pieces are decommissioned colts and the railed PRO. 1991A1's don't have the nicest rollmarks, either.

I know that most here are looking for a shooter first, then a collectible, second. But if you're gonna do ONE 1911, they key will be picking the right base gun

I'll recommend a Colt 70 Series Reproduction or a 1991A1 (or upgrades of the same-my recommendation would be with minimum upgrades) Exceptionally solid guns, but expect that they'll come with some sharp edges (but that hasn't been a deterrent to my carry and use of my personal stainless Series 70 Repro).

Seen here with my FN Hi Power...two classics...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-03-2018 at 04:07 PM.

User Tag List