Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: First 1911

First 1911

So I’m officially saving up for my first 1911. I’ve shot a couple, but don’t have extensive trigger time behind one. I want one because I think everyone should have at least one in their safe and they’re just a really cool pistol. Although I’m somewhat torn on what I should get. This may or may not be the only 1911 I own and I’d like it to be an heirloom piece. It doesn’t have to be ultra expensive, but it will get shot here and there and I may even take a class with it, who knows. I don’t want a junker, so something at least decent quality. I’d like to keep the price under $1,000 initially, but if better can be had for a bit more then I can save longer. $1,500 absolute tops. I’m definitely not opposed to having custom work done to it later. Based on what I’ve seen so far that largely brings me to two different options.

Colt 1991A1 or something from Dan Wesson.

Any suggestions?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

The Dan Wesson is IMHO the best buy available today. I’d save the extra for one.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Dan Wesson Valor series

You can probably find a lightly used Les Baer TRS or Premier II for $1, 500.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Given Colts shoddy work lately I'd go for a Springfield RO, Springfield Operator. They can be sent to SACS later on. I've heard good things about Ruger as well, but only ever rented one and it had issues typical of an entry level 1911.

Never fired a DW, but I hear they are nice.

Bear in mind, a 1911 that's less than or about a thousand dollars will likely have some kinks to work out. Almost always I've run into extractor tension being so low it won't eject reliably and some occasional deflection issues. All across manufacturers I've run through personally. That's Colt, Springfield, RIA (don't recommend...the gun was dimensionally fucked) and Ruger.

The 10-8 test....live it/love it. Most guns get their act together with a quick bend of the extractor. If they don't...well you're gonna spend some money.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Do offense to DW, as they build a fine gun, but I wouldn't consider it to possess "heirloom" pedigree. $1000 is a hard number to work at, so I'll jump right to $1500: Used TRS or Colt Special Combat Government. You could get into a Wiley Clapp Gov't for around $1100 and have a smith throw a few hundred worth of work in it (Thumb safety, barrel bushing, rear sight, trigger)

Springfield Loaded, $800.

In the past I’d have considered Springfield. After their political shenanigans last year? Yeah, I’d rather not.

I think I forgot to mention this, but I’m looking specifically at 5” Government models in .45Auto because, dammit, that’s how they’re supposed to be! ;P

As for Colt, I thought they’d gotten their act together in the past couple years. Is that not the case?

Site Supporter
    Colt: it's complicated.

I've had great luck with Colt pistols I've bought in the last couple years and mine run great. A 1991 model .45ACP should be of high quality and serve as a great base gun. Or if you prefer a Series 70 basic model then go with the Series 70 Repro.

Unfortunately even though Colt has some nice pistols in their lineup, they allow too many problem guns out the door.

But you can get a new Series 70 Gold Cup Trophy for right around that $1500 mark and it should be a really nice pistol. Mine definitely is. A Series 70 Gold Cup National Match (blued finish) should cost around $1200. A basic 1991 can be had for much less and they are usually pretty solid guns if you can tolerate the GI-style safeties.

I agree with others that Dan Wesson offers a really good gun for the money.

TRP cause I've become hooked on SA 1911s.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List