Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New 11# Beretta Hammer Springs Coming!

Installed this spring in one of my CC and tested for reliability yesterday. I usually keep some Russian ammo for those purposes, and I also shot some federal and cci. About 100 rounds, half of that Russian silver bear, no light strikes. I got bored and stopped at that point. Installed the spring in my second CC. The newer one breaks S.A. between 3.5 and 4.0 lbs, the more shot in gun between 3.0 and 3.5. Older gun has a standard and uncoated hammer, newer - bobbed and NP3'd. Both with EL's trigger work .
    Didn't test the DA.
    Last edited by YVK; 02-16-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Installed this spring in one of my CC and tested for reliability yesterday. I usually keep some Russian ammo for those purposes, and I also shot some federal and cci. About 100 rounds, half of that Russian silver bear, no light strikes. I got bored and stopped at that point. Installed the spring in my second CC. The newer one breaks S.A. between 3.5 and 4.0 lbs, the more shot in gun between 3.0 and 3.5. Older gun has a standard and uncoated hammer, newer - bobbed and NP3'd. Both with EL's trigger work .
    Didn't test the DA.
    That's good news. Not surprised for sure, but thanks for the feedback!
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Just ordered mine, can't wait.
    EAA SAR k2p 9mm Taurus pt911 g2 9mm
    Ruger LCP 380 Walther PPS 9mm
    Beretta px4 storm 9mm Sig Sauer P250 9mm full size
    Sig Mosquito S&W Bodyguard 380

Site Supporter
    EL- I just noticed that Wilson offers their reduced-power hammer springs in kits that include reduced as low as 12.5#) recoil springs.

I’ve ordered some 11 and 12# hammer springs from you to try out... did your reliability testing use standard recoil springs, or lower powered ones?
    All I have are standard recoil springs in all of my guns right now.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 02-21-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    EL- I just noticed that Wilson offers their reduced-power hammer springs in kits that include reduced as low as 12.5#) recoil springs.

I’ve ordered some 11 and 12# hammer springs from you to try out... did your reliability testing use standard recoil springs, or lower powered ones?
    All I have are standard recoil springs in all of my guns right now.
    I assume you are talking about a model 92 here (as there are no reduced power recoil springs for the PX4 that I know of)?

The recoil springs have nothing to do with the hammer spring when it comes to igniting primers.

Recoil springs for most people, especially people who change ammo often, should likely not be messed with. If you are tuning a gun for a specific load and trying to improve how quickly the sight returns and eliminate dip on the return, recoil springs can be very important. Lighter recoil springs also tend to make the gun feel like it has less recoil and muzzle rise.

Hammer springs can be part of that tuning process as the slide also has to overcome the hammer, and therefore the hammer spring during recoil.

The good news is the 92 will feed very well with a very light recoil spring. The bad news is your likely beating the gun up more than necessary if your shooting full power ammo in a gun with a very light recoil spring.

Bottom line, you likely do not need to change your recoil spring to a reduced power one.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Site Supporter
    Thank you - yes, I was asking about a 92. That’s good to know. I thought I’d read somewhere that it was important to properly match/balance the two springs. I understand that it has nothing to do with ignition, just wondered about cycling. Right now I’m just concerned with reliable cycling, so I’ll be happy to stay with the stock recoil spring.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    I assume you are talking about a model 92 here (as there are no reduced power recoil springs for the PX4 that I know of)?

The recoil springs have nothing to do with the hammer spring when it comes to igniting primers.

Recoil springs for most people, especially people who change ammo often, should likely not be messed with. If you are tuning a gun for a specific load and trying to improve how quickly the sight returns and eliminate dip on the return, recoil springs can be very important. Lighter recoil springs also tend to make the gun feel like it has less recoil and muzzle rise.

Hammer springs can be part of that tuning process as the slide also has to overcome the hammer, and therefore the hammer spring during recoil.

The good news is the 92 will feed very well with a very light recoil spring. The bad news is your likely beating the gun up more than necessary if your shooting full power ammo in a gun with a very light recoil spring.

Bottom line, you likely do not need to change your recoil spring to a reduced power one.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 02-22-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Just got back from the range with my faux PX4 CC .40 with the 11lb spring installed. I sent 250 rounds of WWB 165 grain down range with no failures. The gun has become a BTF machine with the 165 grain ammo though. Probably 2 rounds out of every magazine ejected straight back at my face. Very nice trigger with the 11lb spring. Next time out I'll take 180 grain ammo and see if the ejection doesn't settle down.

I have three Mod 5 and two Mod 4 PX4CC ‘s. The Mod 5’s all had the 11pound Springs installed. My wife and I took our primary guns out today and had a very good range session shooting around 250 rounds of Bulk sale USA 9mm with zero issues. I have had some issues with these rounds not always going off on the first primer strike with a couple of heavily tuned Beretta 92’s, but the PX4CC’s were flawless with the new springs. For me, I would not drop the 92’s to these, but the PX4CC’s are reliable with them enough for me to not worry about. My PX4CC Full Size will be getting one as well when it is built.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Data point:

I ordered 11 and 12# springs hoping that they would provide reliable ignition. I put the 11# spring into a 92 Centurian and took it to the range yesterday. 240 rds with no ignition issues at all. This was 40 rds of Speer factory ammo, and 200 rds of reloads with Winchester WSP primers. This is my practice and IDPA gun, and I’m sold on the 11# spring.
    I’ll consider using a 12# spring in a carry gun after vetting with the Federal carry ammo.

Anyway, reliable ignition with a 92 and the light spring was the question mark in my brain as I consisdered ordering, so thought I’d post my initial results in the event that it would ease the mind of anyone on the fence.

I’ll certainly update if I run into any problems.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 03-07-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Ernest, would you anticipate any problematic part interaction in using the 11# hammer spring with a WC Deluxe hammer in a PX4?
    Last edited by Hot Sauce; 03-09-2018 at 12:41 AM.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List