Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New 11# Beretta Hammer Springs Coming!

Just ordered two. Looking forward to checking it out. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    This 11-pound spring should simply be magic in a PX4, and on the very harry edge in a 92 for you guys running a 92 competition gun. My guess is about a 6 to 6.5 pound DA on the PX4 and likely a 5 to 5.5 pound DA on the 92 (maybe even little lighter with polishing and trigger work).
    Ernest, just out of curiosity, what's the lowest power spring you would recommend for defensive use? Is it just a matter of reliability in your mind, or does the pull weight factor in as well? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think I have heard you say the length of pull is more important than weight, but I was just curious if there is a point that weight becomes a factor for you.

With my Wilson triggerbar, I conservatively started out with the 14#, recently moved down to the 13# which is where I plan on staying; while I suspect that the gun (in my case, a 92D) could reliably run with a 12#, since mine is used for carry and duty (as well as for IDPA), 13# is the lower limit for my personal comfort level-and that was only after testing with my carry cartridges as well as competitions ones. The Wilson Combat Ultimate Action Tune Kit for the Beretta 90-series includes 14#, 13# and 12# springs.

The critical part of the equation in going lower than 14# is the Wilson Combat triggerbar, who's modified geometry allows increased hammer distance, providing greater impact energy on the firing pin, facilitating a lighter main/hammer spring. With a standard OEM Beretta triggerbar, 14# is the lowest I'd personally go-and that also would be only after testing. Prior to going with the Wilson triggerbar, I ran my 92D with it's OEM 16# D spring. The Wilson triggerbar and chrome silicon hammer/mainsprings make for a significantly improved triggerpull; I also recommend using their chrome silicon trigger return spring to achieve adequate trigger returns.

For carry/duty I use Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P, Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty, Federal Classic 115 gr #9BP ; fr IDA I usually run Federal Champion 115 gr or American Eagle 115 gr and/or 124 gr.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-04-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta Dawg View Post
    Ernest, just out of curiosity, what's the lowest power spring you would recommend for defensive use? Is it just a matter of reliability in your mind, or does the pull weight factor in as well? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think I have heard you say the length of pull is more important than weight, but I was just curious if there is a point that weight becomes a factor for you.

And will this change after he gets feedback on the 11# spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    You know, you might be the best salesman Beretta has going. First, you (and Bill Wilson) have started turning the 92 series from a nicely designed firearm with much too heavy of a trigger pull, into perhaps the best fullsize DA/SA pistol around.

Now you are turning the PX4--the PX4 of all things!--into a preferred carry gun.

I'm hoping you are getting a commission from Beretta because you now have me wondering whether I need a small PX4 (a PX4 of all things!).

Even five years ago I never would have thought such a thing possible.
    Five years ago I would have never thought of shooting a PX4, much less me being a huge fan of the gun at this point. If you would have told me that I would have told you that you were crazy!
    Last edited by LangdonTactical; 01-05-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta Dawg View Post
    Yes, it would be a matter of reliability. And there are other factors than hammer spring weight that affects reliability. Hammer weight and ammo for one. If you knew you were only going to shoot federal ammo with a full weight hammer, I think the 12# would be just fine. For a true duty gun (i.e. for a police officer carrying the gun on duty) I would recommend sticking with the D Model hammer spring as it is a factory part. You can get a great trigger on a gun with a 14# hammer spring and the Elite II hammer. That set up should bust any primers you would normally come across in defensive ammo.

Yes, the distance the trigger moves is way more important than the weight of the trigger IMO.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    Yes, it would be a matter of reliability. And there are other factors than hammer spring weight that affects reliability. Hammer weight and ammo for one. If you knew you were only going to shoot federal ammo with a full weight hammer, I think the 12# would be just fine. For a true duty gun (i.e. for a police officer carrying the gun on duty) I would recommend sticking with the D Model hammer spring as it is a factory part. You can get a great trigger on a gun with a 14# hammer spring and the Elite II hammer. That set up should bust any primers you would normally come across in defensive ammo.

Yes, the distance the trigger moves is way more important than the weight of the trigger IMO.
    Don't you mean the distance the HAMMER moves is way more important than the weight of the trigger, Ernest?
    (Not that the unwashed should be correcting the master, but...)

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-05-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Don't you mean the distance the HAMMER moves is way more important than the weight of the trigger, Ernest?
    (Not that the unwashed should be correcting the master, but...)

Best, Jon
    Well, I think the hammer is important, but the movement of the trigger is what keeps people out of trouble. Seeing the hammer move on the gun makes a difference for some people, but the weight of the trigger does not seem to keep people from making mistakes nearly as much as the distance that trigger finger has to move.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

I get it-I was confusing the hammer impact energy (i.e., the greater hammer impact energy possible with the Langdon/Wilson triggerbar due to increased hammer movement /distance=greater impact energy) with the concept of trigger movement/trigger movement distance. My bad. Thanks for the clarification.

Best, Jon

OK, the springs are in and I have shipped them out to everyone that has ordered so far. About 50 springs went out this morning, so you should all have them soon.

I tested the spring on one of my full-size guns and it dropped the DA weight about 1/2 a pound. This gun already had a full trigger job and the old 12# hammer spring had about 2,000 rounds on it and was fully polished. The new 11# spring was just dropped in with the one in polished.

I feel confident that this should be a great combo for the PX4.
    Last edited by LangdonTactical; 02-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

User Tag List