Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: New 11# Beretta Hammer Springs Coming!

Competitor

Quote Originally Posted by Sidesaddle Cavalry View Post
    The Px4's my competition gun, so bring on the bouncy steel! The more speedy upgrades for the Px4, the better!
    Interesting. What model of PX4 do you use for competition? What modifications does it have?

Oh, it's all kinds of a hot mess.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
    Name:  IMG_20200315_135024.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  97.9 KB

Top-model LTT Px4CC
    11# hammer spring
    Stainless Steel Guide Rods's...stainless steel guide rod. and recoil spring
    92-style decocker on left side
    Olight PL-MINI 2, when allowed. Have a Werkz OWB holster made for it, a LightTuck is on the way for the same config
    Springer +4 mag extensions on NP3 mags
    MOS slide milling, AP Acro on Acro-to-MOS adapter plate (hole was drilled in the plate for the trigger pull indicator)
    And some custom stippling, on the takedown lever areas and under the trigger guard too

Regrets that I have:
    **Spent waaaaay too much on mods, and not enough on training. Only ~3300 rounds between lessons/range time/outlaw matches/steel challenges over the year I've owned it, and very few of those rounds at all with the Acro on, such that I still haven't gotten acclimated to working with the red dot only without cowitness from irons.

*I can take off the Acro and use the nice Ameriglos, but they're carry-short, so I can't use both of them at the same time like I'd really prefer. Very much looking forward to taller sights someday.

*Should have gotten the full-size Carry. I've practiced my grip, but I need more weight to assist my tiny wrists!

*Also on that note, alas, I got into the game far too late to see extended barrels readily available. Unless someone around here's willing to let go of one? Every 0.8 inches counts!

*Thinking about Beretta +3 mag extensions instead of the Springers, they seem more aesthetically pleasing!

Additional thoughts:
    I hear the Px4 Compact's 9mm and .40 barrels and magazines are interchangeable, and the extractor doesn't need to be replaced since it's the same part? I kind of want to try that, with a DPM recoil spring assembly maybe or a factory .40 one.
    Anyone ever look into getting a custom rechambering done for a 9mm barrel into 357 SIG? (with a test barrel, of course.) I understand the pressures are much higher with that caliber and the barrel might not last very long. Do Compact barrels have a different thickness than fullsize barrels in general? I saw a big difference in 9mm versions when I met another Px4 owner the other month.

a little millimeter, big difference...

...Additional thoughts:
    I hear the Px4 Compact's 9mm and .40 barrels and magazines are interchangeable, and the extractor doesn't need to be replaced since it's the same part? I kind of want to try that, with a DPM recoil spring assembly maybe or a factory .40 one....
    ...Do Compact barrels have a different thickness than fullsize barrels in general? I saw a big difference in 9mm versions when I met another Px4 owner the other month.
    That is an impressive pistol!

The slide of a 9mm will not house a .40 at the breech face. Yes, the extractors are the same, but that is not enough. Additionally, the slide of a .40 is more reinforced- https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page5 post 49

The barrel of a Compact is thicker than that of a full size. Though, I have never heard of a full size 9mm barrel cracking, it is thinner in a few places. It also does not need a flange to stop slide movement- https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page4 post 36.

So far, I have not heard of anyone trying to convert to .357 Sig, though the idea has been thrown around.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    That is an impressive pistol!

The slide of a 9mm will not house a .40 at the breech face. Yes, the extractors are the same, but that is not enough. Additionally, the slide of a .40 is more reinforced- https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page5 post 49

The barrel of a Compact is thicker than that of a full size. Though, I have never heard of a full size 9mm barrel cracking, it is thinner in a few places. It also does not need a flange to stop slide movement- https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page4 post 36.

So far, I have not heard of anyone trying to convert to .357 Sig, though the idea has been thrown around.
    Excellent photo thread! Looks like the best practice to switch to .40 would be a slide with the larger breech face and without the extra milling then. At that point...better to pick up a whole new Compact in that caliber!

good logic

... At that point...better to pick up a whole new Compact in that caliber!
    It would also be less expensive to get a whole new pistol then to attempt to compile the top side parts.

I'd like to ask a hopefully relevant question regarding hammer springs:

Is there any effect on recoil when dropping weight on the hammer spring, negative or otherwise? I don't put nearly the amount of rounds through my PX4 or 92, but I'm curious if anyone has noticed something like this. I may be misunderstanding the operation, but isn't part of the job of the hammer spring to slow the slide down upon firing?

-rob

resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert1035 View Post
    I'd like to ask a hopefully relevant question regarding hammer springs:

Is there any effect on recoil when dropping weight on the hammer spring, negative or otherwise? I don't put nearly the amount of rounds through my PX4 or 92, but I'm curious if anyone has noticed something like this. I may be misunderstanding the operation, but isn't part of the job of the hammer spring to slow the slide down upon firing?

-rob
    Your understanding of the functions is correct. Though it might not be a predetermined function, it is calculated in. When changing from a strong, stock hammer spring to a lighter one of the different springs offered, you can feel a difference when you rack the slide starting with the hammer down.

However, in shooting a bunch of rounds through PX4s of different types, I have not noticed any difference in felt recoil or cycling speed.
    This would mean that the amount of difference the hammer spring weight makes is so negligible that it is not felt in actual recoil.

A lighter hammer spring will help your internal parts to last longer, though.

I put the 11lb in my px4 CC. It made the trigger almost too light in SA and not as predictable. I put a 12lb in it and I seem to shoot it better.

Looks like LTT put the #10 spring up on the web store!

Site Supporter
    Ordered three as promised. Two of them will go in my training/practice gun and my DAO version, the third will go in my carry gun if/when the other two prove reliable.

User Tag List