Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New 11# Beretta Hammer Springs Coming!

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I have a gal that is getting one of my PX4's (trying a couple sizes, but seems to be leaning toward the subcompact as same size as her J frame), and she loves my practice guns (have the 11#), but hasn't tried the carry (12#). I'm still on the fence, personally (not enough range time).
    I have had a number of women try one of the subcompact PX4s, and - if their hands/fingers are such that they can manage to reach the trigger and use it - they tend to like the little critters. Unfortunately, they end up buying something else because the 9mm PX4 subcompacts have been very hard for them to find.

Some of the ladies that have had trouble managing the DA pull and overall qualities of a J-frame, SP101 (or even LCR) found that a PX4 subcompact's DA pull and behavior was quite manageable; this was/is with, in turn, the factory spring, the Beretta Cougar D spring and the 12# LTT PX4 spring. The LTT 12# has provided the lightest DA pull of the lot.

(It has even pleasantly surprised a few congenital Berettaphobes.)

The fly in the ointment is that on my PX4 with slicked up innards, the SA pull even with the 12# spring has proven a bit light for some shooters. I am toying with trying an 11# on a bone-stock subcompact and comparing the two.

gn

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    I had to take the #11 spring out of my .40 Compact and put the "D" Spring back in. I think the .40 was just a little to spirited for the #11 spring. Among other things I got BTF three or four times out of every magazine and it really launched them at me.

If I ever get a PX4 CC I will try the #11 spring again.
    I was wondering how the lighter hammer springs might affect recoil characteristics in both the PX4 and 92 series. My 40 seemed relatively snappy, but I bet part of that is a recoil spring of unknown round count, and my relative lack of experience with the round. I never shot the PX4 with the stock spring so I don't have a direct comparison.

I still have to read a lot of this thread and will do so here shortly, but I’m hoping you all can help me answer a couple of questions. I’m currently everyday carrying my Wilson Combat / Beretta 92G CC. Love the gun and will be very excited if Langdon comes out with a compact. Anyways, this gun just passed 3000 rounds and the only malfunctions I’ve experienced have just started happening - light strikes. I just had two on double action pulls in the last 294 rounds. Not a great feeling since this is my current EDC. I’ve noticed them the last few range sessions, so in the last 1000 rounds I’d say I’ve had about 6-8 light strikes. I don’t remember ever having them before. I am shooting Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ and also shot some Blazer Aluminum cased 115 grain.

What hammer spring does this 92G CC come with from the factory? What hammer spring should I replace it with if that is indeed the fix? What other springs should I be concerned about at this point? I want this sucker back to 100% reliability. Oh and all but one went bang on the second DA attempt to fire. The one that didn’t was one of the Blazer Aluminum cased rounds. I tried twice then tap rack banged and continued to fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
    I still have to read a lot of this thread and will do so here shortly, but I’m hoping you all can help me answer a couple of questions. I’m currently everyday carrying my Wilson Combat / Beretta 92G CC. Love the gun and will be very excited if Langdon comes out with a compact. Anyways, this gun just passed 3000 rounds and the only malfunctions I’ve experienced have just started happening - light strikes. I just had two on double action pulls in the last 294 rounds. Not a great feeling since this is my current EDC. I’ve noticed them the last few range sessions, so in the last 1000 rounds I’d say I’ve had about 6-8 light strikes. I don’t remember ever having them before. I am shooting Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ and also shot some Blazer Aluminum cased 115 grain.

What hammer spring does this 92G CC come with from the factory? What hammer spring should I replace it with if that is indeed the fix? What other springs should I be concerned about at this point? I want this sucker back to 100% reliability. Oh and all but one went bang on the second DA attempt to fire. The one that didn’t was one of the Blazer Aluminum cased rounds. I tried twice then tap rack banged and continued to fire.

Pretty sure the 92G Custom Carry has a D spring (16#), which should be more than enough for reliable ignition. If the 115 grain Blazer is from the Black Friday Bulk Packs, I'm inclined to blame the ammunition and not the gun. I encountered a dud or two in my batch.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Pretty sure the 92G Custom Carry has a D spring (16#), which should be more than enough for reliable ignition. If the 115 grain Blazer is from the Black Friday Bulk Packs, I'm inclined to blame the ammunition and not the gun. I encountered a dud or two in my batch.
    Thank you for that info, but it has also happened a good 4-5 times in the last 1000 rounds with Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ.

Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

I'll share this advice from Stimpee (a Beretta employee) that he posted when I encountered some light strikes while tuning my Brigadier Tactical. My problems were attributed to an out-of-spec 13# spring though. The 16# spring should not be a problem with factory ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    How many rounds thru the gun?

We have found that with the lighter hammer springs, the gun can be much more sensitive to "schmutz" buildup in the firing pin channel and may require more substantial cleaning than normal. This is shown via evidence from doing firing pin indent tests on SAAMI spec copper crushers before/after a thorough detail strip and cleaning.

However should be probably 3500-5000 rounds before you would ever see this, depending on the ammo you are using. Some ammo, even decent quality stuff, can burn kind of dirty and gum things up.

Site Supporter
    I’ll second the recommendation to look at the firing pin channel. In many thousands of rounds with a D spring, I’ve never had a light strike.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’ll second the recommendation to look at the firing pin channel. In many thousands of rounds with a D spring, I’ve never had a light strike.
    That’s probably a wise idea and something I will do. Sounds like a full detail strip is in order. This leads me to think of some other questions:

For 92G Brig Tac:
    -what is the standard weight recoil spring? 14#? 16#?
    -how many rounds before replacing recoil spring?
    -how many rounds before replacing firing pin spring?

For 92G CC
    -what is the standard weight recoil spring? 14#? 16#?
    -how many rounds before replacing recoil spring?
    -how many rounds before replacing firing pin spring?

Thank you all for the insight and info. This is a great thread.

Put another 300 Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ through the 92G CC today. No light strikes (or any other malfunctions). Still need to field strip and clean it because it’s pretty filthy, but running like a sewing machine.

Emailed Langdon with some questions because I think I’m going to pick up an Elite LTT. Carry bevel, NP3, and mag guide and it’ll be all set.

Finally found some ammo that a 13# spring in a Beretta LTT with action tune doesn't like...Blazer 147 grain. This is the aluminum cased ammunition, and I understand hard primers are not uncommon. I've set aside my remaining Blazer for my Glocks (which is unfortunate since I like this load), and I'll keep my Beretta 92s fed with AE 147 grain.

User Tag List