Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip Strength

Grip Strength

Anyone use one of these?

http://instagram.com/p/Bdb3GosHsMt/

Protocol I was told was to keep elbow at 90-degrees and hold for 5 Mississippi...

I have one and that's what I understand is the protocol. From my playing around, if you hold it straight out, you pick up a few more pounds.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I use Captains of Crush.

I have a hand dynamometer available to me at work, we use it for a specific patient testing. Ours is a mechanic unit, not electronic. I use it from time to time, but I've not used it at 90 degrees. Comparing to measurements I did several years ago in Frostproof, my strength has gone up a bit just from dry firing. I do have CoCs but I barely use them so whatever gains I've had, it is just from dry fire.
    Last edited by YVK; 01-02-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Looks and sounds vaguely familiar from our PFT. I can't remember what the numbers were supposed to be but I had no problem with it.

I have CoC but I think this https://www.ironmind-store.com/IronM...ductinfo/1248/] and now this https://www.onnit.com/onnit-steel-mace/ do more for my grip strength.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Deadlifts and the Ivanko Super Gripper take care of my grip requirements...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I'm still using the Captains of Crush #2 working a variation of Ron Avery's grip strength workout.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives you the tests first and the lessons later." - Oscar Wilde.
    | www.PracticalPerformance.org | Facebook | Instagram |

It would be interesting to see an actual number to represent grip strength.

I'm also a CoC guy...train them once per week as part of my typical workouts and closing a 2.5, working on a 3 (which I'll likely never close). I'd like to see what kind of number that translates to.

I started the CoC last January, so I've been training them a full year, almost every week with a few rest weeks in the mix. When I first got them, I could close the 1 a couple times, could barely get the 1.5, and couldn't even come close to the 2. It took about 1 month to get the 2 and another ~8 months to get the 2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post

I'm also a CoC guy...train them once per week as part of my typical workouts and closing a 2.5, working on a 3 (which I'll likely never close). I'd like to see what kind of number that translates to.

When I first got them, I could close the 1 a couple times, could barely get the 1.5, and couldn't even come close to the 2. It took about 1 month to get the 2 and another ~8 months to get the 2.5.
    Damn, that's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    ... and now this https://www.onnit.com/onnit-steel-mace/ do more for my grip strength.
    That thing is awesome!

I worked in the trades until 1995, and at that time I weighed 165 pounds and had excellent strength, especially upper body. I've been a "white collar" guy since and now have the sorry-ass physique to prove it. I need to address this...

User Tag List