Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA has added carry optics

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lefQhpZdGOoVYz

Just discovered this updated CO rulebook. Subject to change of course. Some notes:

1. Special CO box formed by cutting top side of regular box. Basically any gun that fits in regular box will fit with any slide mounted optic. I really like this.

2. SAO are now allowed! Although DA/SA must start decocked. I guess I'll be buying a SAO trigger for my CZ.

Overall, it is basically ESP with red dots, which is exactly what I was hoping for!

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lefQhpZdGOoVYz

Just discovered this updated CO rulebook. Subject to change of course. Some notes:

1. Special CO box formed by cutting top side of regular box. Basically any gun that fits in regular box will fit with any slide mounted optic. I really like this.

2. SAO are now allowed! Although DA/SA must start decocked. I guess I'll be buying a SAO trigger for my CZ.

Overall, it is basically ESP with red dots, which is exactly what I was hoping for!
    Hmmm...so 9mm 1911 would be allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

"1.1.2 Handguns permitted for use in CO must: A. Comply with any IDPA pistol division before the optic is installed."

"1.1.1.2 CO Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):
    B. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.
    C. Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are
    stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another CO legal firearm from the same
    manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory
    installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that are available installed only from a
    factory custom shop are not eligible in CO."

1.1.2 seems to conflict with 1.1.1.2. An ESP-legal handgun with a magwell and aftermarket trigger "compl(ies) with any IDPA pistol division", but then 1.1.1.2 B and C say it can't have the aftermarket trigger and magwell.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    "1.1.2 Handguns permitted for use in CO must: A. Comply with any IDPA pistol division before the optic is installed."

"1.1.1.2 CO Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):
    B. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.
    C. Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are
    stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another CO legal firearm from the same
    manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory
    installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that are available installed only from a
    factory custom shop are not eligible in CO."

1.1.2 seems to conflict with 1.1.1.2. An ESP-legal handgun with a magwell and aftermarket trigger "compl(ies) with any IDPA pistol division", but then 1.1.1.2 B and C say it can't have the aftermarket trigger and magwell.
    1.1.1.2 S says magwells are allowed.

It does look like 1.1.1.2 C will disallow aftermarket triggers, slide stops, and magazine releases which doesn't make much sense to me if they are going to allow magwells and other frame customization.

I am glad they seemed to have removed the restriction on aftermarket slides so I can use my Unity Tactical ATOM slide though.
    Last edited by dontshakepandas; 03-08-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    1.1.1.2 S says magwells are allowed.
    Huh, I missed that. So it does.

But "You can have a magwell just not a shitty magwell made from extra-long grip panels" doesn't particularly make much sense either.

Is this trial or official? I started so in January and already have PCC, now don't have to move, and this. It's fine but I need a revised book with the changes already...

Not at all. Hopefully they'll get some of this cleaned up.

I'd really like to be able to shoot my carry gun in this division, but I don't ever shoot anything but local matches for my own personal practice so if they don't change it to be ESP plus an optic I'll probably just shoot my carry gun in its current configuration and not worry about which division I'm in.

1.1.2 seems to conflict with 1.1.1.2.
    The first carry optics rule draft published at idpa.tech was basically SSP with optics. What I think is going on here is simply that when the rules were changed to ESP with optics, someone forgot to update some of the rules.

Hell, I've seen video of U.S. IDPA matches. It's not like you lot follow the rules too closely, anyway. Probably not worth worrying about the minutae, especially if you intend to shoot just local matches.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    The first carry optics rule draft published at idpa.tech was basically SSP with optics. What I think is going on here is simply that when the rules were changed to ESP with optics, someone forgot to update some of the rules.
    Yeah I agree. It's nice that they tracked the USPSA CO rules fairly closely too. In fact, I wish USPSA CO would allow small carry-sized magwells (not huge Open or Limited division sized magwells) so that I could use one and stop dinging up the bottom of the grip on my Glock's frame.

Yeah I agree. It's nice that they tracked the USPSA CO rules fairly closely too. In fact, I wish USPSA CO would allow small carry-sized magwells (not huge Open or Limited division sized magwells) so that I could use one and stop dinging up the bottom of the grip on my Glock's frame.
    My VP9 will be grip-less in a few years. Plastic gun curse.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List