Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading Magazines For An EXTENDED Period

Banned

Loading Magazines For An EXTENDED Period

I know this debate has been around for years but I'm asking a very specific question.

Do any of you actually walk around with magazines that have been loaded literally for years ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I know this debate has been around for years but I'm asking a very specific question.

Do any of you actually walk around with magazines that have been loaded literally for years ?
    No, because I shoot my carry ammo on a regular basis. I have left AR magazines loaded for a half- decade or so, and fired them off without issue.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    How often should you shoot your carry ammo and replace it?

I did for a while. Finally shot it off after about 5 years.

I do better now.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I do it every year, or annually.

I do it once a quarter, but YMMV, of course. Federal HST 9mm can be had at bargain prices these days, so it is wise to invest in a case or three for a rainy day. Bone Frog Gun Club has 1000 round cases for $340, shipped, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had Glock magazines that were left loaded for years and fired as normal when used. (I wasn't walking around with those particular mags, however.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Loading Magazines For An EXTENDED Period

I will generally will shoot some carry ammo at every range session through the year, and then use up all of it by the end.

December gives me a chance to check if Doc’s list has been updated. I then go to www.sgammo.com and order 100 rounds of whatever is generally available, *and* approved by Doc. After shooting approximately half of it to verify it works at the range in January, I’ll load up my carry mags.

Last year it was Federal HST 147, this year I bought Speer Gold Dot 124+p.

Hopefully this is a reasonable approach.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-01-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Carry mags get shot every 3-4 months for qual.

Training mags get loaded when I'm done shooting, that way I can just grab a pouch of all 10 for a given platform and run out the door with them.

Spare go-bag mags are left loaded for an extended period of time....a year or so. No problems when I've shot them.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-01-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Most of my 1911 mags (7 rd) and Colt 20 rd AR mags have been loaded since the mid 80s or so. Not necessarily the same ammo, but been loaded. Havent had spring problems so far. If you were asking about the ammo, Ive slowly been shooting up some ammo I loaded in the early to mid 80s. Its all been fine so far.

Ive had 2 glock 19 non-drop free mags stop working, they didnt push the ammo up reliably. One time they worked, the next they didnt. No idea of their history before i bought the gun, it was an '88 gun I think. They lived loaded as long as I had them.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-01-2018 at 07:03 PM.

User Tag List