Thread: LEOSA: Massachussetts - Is this true?

LEOSA: Massachussetts - Is this true?

I was reading on another forum a discussion of LEOSA and a retired MA LEO reported the following:

MA did a number of things that violate the Fed Law. They require that you possess a MA LTC in order to qualify for LEOSA qualification each year, Only MA Retired Municipal and State LEOs can qualify in MA. So Feds and MIL must qualify elsewhere as do those that retired from Non-MA departments. I am a state certified LEOSA instructor and we are forbidden from qualifying anyone other than retired MA Munis and MA State Police officers. It sucks, but nobody is going to waste the $10+K to fight it in Federal Court. Each year I pay a retired MA State Trooper to keep my qualification up, although I might be able to do it with my former department (never asked).
    Do we have any MA LEOs here, (or anyone else with specific knowledge), that can verify that this is the case? If so, it seems that this should be challenged in the courts before other states try to abrogate our rights under federal law with no consequences for their actions.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    It looks like that only inconveniences those retired LEOs who live in Massachusetts, and seek to qualify there, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    It looks like that only inconveniences those retired LEOs who live in Massachusetts, and seek to qualify there, yes?
    As far as I can tell...but I am concerned that other states may be emboldened (by the lack of repercussions) to overstep their authority as well.

We're all in this together, imho, despite the fact that I personally have no intention of ever residing in any state with such restrictions.
    Last edited by blues; 01-01-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I hear you, blues. It is a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List