Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building an AR for recreational bench shooting

Site Supporter

Building an AR for recreational bench shooting

So, I've decided I want to build another AR "just because". However, I don't want another carbine. I have one and a 2nd is not all that compelling. I decided it would be fun and interesting to build something for target shooting off a bench.

My goals are:
    Less than 1" groups at 100yds with factory ammo (even better with dedicated handloads, would like to get into the half inch range if I'm up to it).
    Soft shooting (intend to use an adjustable gas block, lightweight bolt, and handloads to get there)

General Specs:
    18"-20" barrel
    Wylde Chamber
    Adjustable rifle-length gas system
    A2 Stock
    Slick-side upper without FA (and possibly without shell deflector).
    Bipod up front and possibly a rear monopod.
    Upper receiver face trued.

Questions:
    As a dedicated range toy, would this FF Handguard be ok?

What about this upper receiver or this one?

What is a decent drop-in trigger that doesn't cost more than $150? I've fondled Ruger's and it seem ok. I've also considered grabbing the Larue MBT when it goes on sale again.

I already have a a BCG I want to use. However, I've seen it recommended I get a barrel with a matched bolt. Not every "good" barrel manufacturer offers a matched bolt though. What do I lose by not getting a matched bolt?

I haven't decided on a barrel, but I want something in the 18-20 range (willing to go longer if it makes sense) and bull or semi-bull in diameter.

Anything else I should consider?

Chris

I dont think you need adjustable gas or different carriers or anything to have a soft shooting 20" gun. I absolutely love them, carbines are meh at best to me, very choppy feeling and hard to track shot impacts in the scope at distance. Piece of cake with a standard govt weight rifle. Like shooting an overgrown 22.

Stuck on Wylde chambering? I'd like to try that .224 Valk if I was starting a build.

Matching bolt is simply more control over a variable.

I'm not aware of Anderson making their own uppers, pretty sure they rebrand. Seekins and Sun Devil billet sets have worked very well in my tribe's limited experience.

MBT trigger is heavier than "normal" bench guns usually feature. I am impressed with its seemingly inherent, limited overtravel. I do like a 2-stage.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I dont think you need adjustable gas or different carriers or anything to have a soft shooting 20" gun. I absolutely love them, carbines are meh at best to me, very choppy feeling and hard to track shot impacts in the scope at distance. Piece of cake with a standard govt weight rifle. Like shooting an overgrown 22.
    If the barrel I uses a .750 gas block, then I have an adjustable gas block that I can use. I also have the BCG, so use those parts imposes no cost. I just want to experiment. They may not be necessary, but I want to see what I can do with those parts in a rifle-length gas system, a longer barrel, and handloads.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Stuck on Wylde chambering? I'd like to try that .224 Valk if I was starting a build.
    Not stuck on it, but I do want to be able to load with the 223 brass, bullets, and dies I have already.

Matching bolt is simply more control over a variable.
    That's what I was assuming. I had planned on seeking out that pairing, but won't turn down a good deal that doesn't include a bolt.

I'm not aware of Anderson making their own uppers, pretty sure they rebrand. Seekins and Sun Devil billet sets have worked very well in my tribe's limited experience.
    They do appear to be very similar to other forged slick-side uppers. The DPMS I linked to is one of the few different ones.

MBT trigger is heavier than "normal" bench guns usually feature. I am impressed with its seemingly inherent, limited overtravel. I do like a 2-stage.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the MBT being closer to mil-spec weight. I may avoid that one then. I don't need feather-light, but I do want it lighter than stock.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 12-31-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Faxon Match 5r barrels and matched bolt would be an option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Faxon Match 5r barrels and matched bolt would be an option for you.

Thanks! I had run across them previously, but forgot to bookmark the site. I wasn't able to remember the name until you just posted.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Thanks! I had run across them previously, but forgot to bookmark the site. I wasn't able to remember the name until you just posted.

Chris
    No problem, I’ve built 2 18” rifle gas (not 5r) getting great accuracy out to 750yd.

AKA: SkyLine1

The Geissele G2S is a great trigger and reasonably priced when on sale. Currently $130 at Brownells with free shipping:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod55593.aspx
    Last edited by littlejerry; 12-31-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    Great suggestions on barrel and trigger.

Regarding the handguard, why a lightweight for a gun designed to shoot off the bench.

Depending on you budget ALG and Geissele both have New Years sales going.

Sale or no, ALG is pretty much THE answer for a quality budget rail.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The Geissele G2S is a great trigger and reasonably priced when on sale. Currently $130 at Brownells with free shipping:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod55593.aspx
    Those look good. I'll keep an eye on them.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Great suggestions on barrel and trigger.

Regarding the handguard, why a lightweight for a gun designed to shoot off the bench.

Depending on you budget ALG and Geissele both have New Years sales going.

Sale or no, ALG is pretty much THE answer for a quality budget rail.
    I wasn't looking at that handguard for the light weight, mainly because it was long enough and inexpensive. To be honest, I do need much in the way of rails and such, I just need to attach a bipod. The scope will be mounted on the receiver. The problem I'm having with handguards is they all look similar to my eyes. I can't really differentiate between them other than obvious physical features (length, mounting systems, rails, etc). My needs are simple, so I'm hoping I can get out cheap on that item.

I'm taking this build slow, so I won't necessarily be buying things at the moment.

Chris

User Tag List