Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Am Phat Over Revolvers, Especially Rugers

I Am Phat Over Revolvers, Especially Rugers

Is this Phat? Seems like 340gr at 1360fps should be Phat, but not sure.

Welcome to PF!

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-31-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I don’t know much about much but I know this is a good looking revolver.

Name:  IMG_6917.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  24.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Is this Phat? Seems like 340gr at 1360fps should be Phat, but not sure.

Welcome to PF!

Yep, dat's phat! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post

What the hell is this thing? GP100 from Lipsey’s?

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    What the hell is this thing? GP100 from Lipsey’s?

civiliandefender.com
    Yep. 5” barrels. They have them in .327, .357 and .44.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I like revolvers. I had to consult the “Urban Dictionary” regarding “Phat,” and will have to respectfully stay away from that terminology.

I shoot specific revolvers (S&W K/L-Frame, Ruger GP100, Security/Speed/Service Six) more consistently well than any other handgun. I had to train with a 4” DA revolver in the police academy in 1983-1984, and carry only DA revolvers, on and off the clock, during my first year of sworn service, so learning the revolver very was important to surviving my rookie period. I went from thinking revolvers were quaint relics, to loving them. I carried mostly revolvers in my police duty holsters until 1997, and never totally discontinued using revolvers as “back-up” weapons, and personal-time carry and home defense weapons. During retirement, which begins next month, I will probably carry revolvers more than autos, but have no plans to set aside my 1911 pistols, and will continue to keep Glocks for truly abusive environments.

The original GP100 factory grip fits me better than any other weapon, except for specific 1911 frames with a subtly relieved trigger guard and high-cut front strap, plus well-sculpted grip safety area, such as Les Baer, which are about equal. The SP101 grip fits me nearly as well. Some Colt SAA and USFA grips/stocks fit me very well. (Not all are the same!) S&W revolvers, and Ruger Security/Speed/Service Sixes, and Ruger single actions, need aftermarket/custom grips/stocks to fit me really well.
    I also think the SP101 grips fit me to a "T". It just feels natural. Hard to tell blindfolded which SP I have in my hand, the .22 or the .357. I carry the .357 in a belt holster and this is ok because I always wear my shirt tail outside. My wife carries the .22 SP in her bags. When she feels ready for moving to a .357 (.38), then I will give her mine and I will buy something else but you never know. I may buy another SP101 in the hot new (new to me!) .327 Federal Magnum. Been wanting that and besides, it comes in 6 shot!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

I'm trying really hard not to need one of those. They are in stock around the internets already. It would be more difficult if it was in stainless. Carrying outdoors and bluing don't go together well in this climate. Although I do keep having thoughts of a Melonited revolver...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I don't think I am that old... but perhaps it is where and how I was raised. I simply don't really care for it when people use terms like "Dawg" or "Phat".

To each their own though.

I guess I am not overly cool, but, I am cool with not being cool.

I am quite deliberately anachronistic in many ways and am quite comfortable with being so.

Why do I like revolvers?

Because I grew up in Idaho, and Elmer Keith means more to me than the Kardashians.

I would rather be wearing a .44 on my hip, reading an old Keith book, sipping hot coffee on the porch of my cabin, than attend a big city show, starring the latest (insert famous bubble-gum group here). Watching the light and weather patterns change on the mountain range that provides the view is far better for my soul than any opera, or other highbrow affair.

I would rather listen to coyotes, and the night birds calling out in the evening, out on the open sage, than attend a performance of the Chicago symphony Orchestra.

This is my idea of the "local pool"

My cabin neighbors have hooves and horns...

Those are just a smattering of the reasons why I am a revolver person at heart.

Not much to say, so, pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Yep. 5” barrels. They have them in .327, .357 and .44.

I did not really like my 5” fully-lugged GP100, but this configuration looks like it would be quite nice at 5”.

User Tag List