Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Am Phat Over Revolvers, Especially Rugers

I Am Phat Over Revolvers, Especially Rugers

This is my first post. I did not see an intro forum so I am just going to jump in here and start telling you why I am all about revolvers.

I love my Ruger single actions. I also love my double actions. When I am loading one shell at a time into its cylinder, I love the sound it makes. I love ejecting the spent rounds one at a time. It is basic yet a wonder of technology at the same time.

My double action guns are fun to hold and shoot. I love how you can eject all the spent shells with one push of the ejector rod.

I have:

Ruger Single Six Convertible minus the fluted cylinder as I lost the .22LR cylinder during moves years ago
    Ruger Redhawk chrome in .44 mag
    SP101 ,22LR
    Sp101 .357 Mag

Why do you like your revolvers?

I agree with the simple loading and unloading of a revolver...it feels more civilized than an auto-loader. It's not spitting out spent casings all over the place to be cleaned up.

I started out with semi-autos and am only now starting to seriously get into revolvers. 2018 will be the year i shoot my revolver at local steel challenge matches.

Site Supporter
    As a teenager learning to shoot in the 1980’s, I could not put a single magazine of ammo through any of my Dad’s semiautos without at least one jam. His revolvers worked.

As a result, I was late to switch over to semi autos. My first carry gun in 1996 was a revolver.

I ultimately switched to semi autos because I was unhappy with the sights on concealed carry revolvers, and was surprised to learn that semiautos today are more reliable than revolvers.

I still find the DA trigger on many revolvers easier to work than the DA, or even the SA trigger on many TDA semiautos. I also can’t help but notice the number of shooters I have come across with hand or wrist problems who find revolvers to be more comfortable to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

After thousands of rounds through both autos (Glock 19, Walther PPQ) and various models of revolvers, I find that I just plain shoot revolvers better. I don't know if it's the difference in recoil impulse, or the trigger, or both. Regardless, I'm just glad to have my old S&W Model 64 police trade-in; believe it or not, I like it far better than the Colt Python I owned for 27 years (heresy!). I'm probably in the minority on that point, but that's just the kind of iconoclast I am; I never could get used to the Python's stacking trigger; regardless, I sent it down the road a couple/three years ago, for four times what I paid for it; it's the only gun I ever made money on.
    Last edited by DAL357; 12-31-2017 at 12:33 AM.

" and was surprised to learn that semiautos today are more reliable than revolvers."

You'd find quite a few folks that would have a problem with that statement.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by DAL357 View Post
    After thousands of rounds through both autos (Glock 19, Walther PPQ) and various models of revolvers, I find that I just plain shoot revolvers better. I don't know if it's the difference in recoil impulse, or the trigger, or both. Regardless, I'm just glad to have my old S&W Model 64 police trade-in; believe it or not, I like it far better than the Colt Python I owned for 27 years (heresy!). I'm probably in the minority on that point, but that's just the kind of iconoclast I am; I never could get used to the Python's stacking trigger; regardless, I sent it down the road a couple/three years ago, for four times what I paid for it; it's the only gun I ever made money on.
    I have found that a revolver's design of the grip and how it sets in your hand makes them much easier to shoot tham a semi-auto. A revolver rotates in your hand while a semi doesn't have this unique feature.

The open top of the revolver grip allows this motion while a semi is restricted with its little guard that facilitates hand placement stops this natural action.

Just my own 2 cents on that issue.

also @BillSWPA
    Last edited by Rickity Plumber; 12-31-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    " and was surprised to learn that semiautos today are more reliable than revolvers."

You'd find quite a few folks that would have a problem with that statement.
    Yes, they would. However, from 1998 through 2005, I was putting 5,000-10,000 rounds/year through various pistols, most of that through semiautos. I found that my average number of rounds between semiauto malfunctions exceeded my average number of rounds between revolver trips back to the factory for repair. Not only were revolvers failing more often, but the failures were not something that could be quickly resolved in order to keep shooting. They were failures that either made the gun unsafe to shoot or took the gun completely out of action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I like revolvers. I had to consult the “Urban Dictionary” regarding “Phat,” and will have to respectfully stay away from that terminology.

I shoot specific revolvers (S&W K/L-Frame, Ruger GP100, Security/Speed/Service Six) more consistently well than any other handgun. I had to train with a 4” DA revolver in the police academy in 1983-1984, and carry only DA revolvers, on and off the clock, during my first year of sworn service, so learning the revolver very was important to surviving my rookie period. I went from thinking revolvers were quaint relics, to loving them. I carried mostly revolvers in my police duty holsters until 1997, and never totally discontinued using revolvers as “back-up” weapons, and personal-time carry and home defense weapons. During retirement, which begins next month, I will probably carry revolvers more than autos, but have no plans to set aside my 1911 pistols, and will continue to keep Glocks for truly abusive environments.

The original GP100 factory grip fits me better than any other weapon, except for specific 1911 frames with a subtly relieved trigger guard and high-cut front strap, plus well-sculpted grip safety area, such as Les Baer, which are about equal. The SP101 grip fits me nearly as well. Some Colt SAA and USFA grips/stocks fit me very well. (Not all are the same!) S&W revolvers, and Ruger Security/Speed/Service Sixes, and Ruger single actions, need aftermarket/custom grips/stocks to fit me really well.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I like revolvers. I had to consult the “Urban Dictionary” regarding “Phat,” and will have to respectfully stay away from that terminology.
    I think revolvers are the berries. When it comes to shootability, they have the bulge.

But I do think we should try to keep away from most forms of slang.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I like revolvers because they don’t make semi’s in .44 mag and up, that is reliable.

I changed out the trigger return spring on my toklat and reduced the endshake. Much better DA pull now and it won’t hammer itself loose as fast.

Going to load some CEB flatnose solids and those raptor bullets for it soon.

Looking to get a nice blued gp-100 4-6” barrel later and do the same mods to it too.
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 12-31-2017 at 07:53 PM.

User Tag List