Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Norco bank robbery and shoot-out

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I hunted down a copy of that book. It's a very good read as well.

I bought the Norco book the other day, after a dinner conversation with a friend. I have noticed the same thing Ed did, regarding some over the top comments. I'll have to reserve judgement until I finish it, it had definitely set off my radar.
    Yeah, that sort of makes one wonder, doesn't it. Unfortunate.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yeah, that sort of makes one wonder, doesn't it. Unfortunate.
    Well, they can't all be John Hearne.

I'll have to take your word on that.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

CWM11B
    Thank you @Ed L and @SeriousStudent, you guys just saved me the purchase price. Those kinds of errors make me question the veracity of the text.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 06-23-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    I still recommend the book, but I agree the author definitely doesn't know guns. I suspect some of the goofy stuff came from interviews and casually expressed opinions. I wouldn't characterize the author as anti-gun. but I can't argue otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I still recommend the book, but I agree the author definitely doesn't know guns. I suspect some of the goofy stuff came from interviews and casually expressed opinions. I wouldn't characterize the author as anti-gun. but I can't argue otherwise.
    My suspicion as well. Some of the most egregious errors could have been indirect quotes from someone he talked to.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

After 17 years in Law Enforcement this is the first time I've ever heard of this incident. I watched the videos and this is the classic definition of a clusterfuck. Dead Officers, dead suspects, half the dept fleet gets shot up during the chase, police helicopter gets shot down, IED's, police car getting hit by a train, officers grabbing 22lr leverguns from bystanders....this was a definite shit sandwich with cheese.

Site Supporter

Wink

Of course, SeriousStudent's post sent me to Amazon to see if Hearne had actually written a book. The search function yielded a book on Waterford crystal, the DVD "Fletch Lives", and an "adult urban fantasy" (whatever that is) entitled "Graveyard Druid". I had no idea that Hearne was so versatile a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    After 17 years in Law Enforcement this is the first time I've ever heard of this incident. I watched the videos and this is the classic definition of a clusterfuck. Dead Officers, dead suspects, half the dept fleet gets shot up during the chase, police helicopter gets shot down, IED's, police car getting hit by a train, officers grabbing 22lr leverguns from bystanders....this was a definite shit sandwich with cheese.
    Yes, this is a significant problem in the cop world. We have significant issues in regards to our history. These events HAVE happened before, we need to be willing to learn from them and apply those lessons.

And I would prefer those write the books get the material right. Just think about some of the wrongly repeated alleged lessons from Newhall versus what did, in fact, happen.

Site Supporter
    I JUST got the "Norco '80" book and I've skipped around and read parts of it but have not read from beginning to end.

The author knows NOTHING about firearms, and his errors are all obvious and should have been picked up in editing the manuscript.

Nonetheless, it appears to be an interesting book.

This incident happened just before I became a cop. My first job was at a restaurant and a brother of the owner was a deputy in Riverside County and acquainted with the deputy who was killed. He retired shortly afterwards.

User Tag List