Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Norco bank robbery and shoot-out

Site Supporter
    Just finished "Norco '80". Excellent book detailing the incident, the trial, and the effects on officers and agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Just finished "Norco '80". Excellent book detailing the incident, the trial, and the effects on officers and agencies.
    Added to my reading list.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I got a coupon from B&N in today's mail, I'll pick up a copy next week.

Ordered a copy
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I read the book. I enjoyed the narrative, assuming that it is accurate, but the author knew nothing about guns and had an anti-gun attitude.

He describes two of the bankrobbers buying "a couple of .38 Specials of the concealable variety usually reserved for liquor store holdups and bar fights."

He described the The HK93 as a German-made .223-caliber assault rifle, the civilian semiautomatic version of the M16.

Described a Remington 870 with a folding stock as a "sawed-off, antipersonnel version of the Remington 870 Wingmaster shotgun known as a riot gun." They bought this in a store without NFA paperwork. Likely this "sawed off" shotgun had a legal 18" barrel.

The Author said regarding an HK91 in .308 that one of the bankrobbers bought when compared to the HK93 in .223: "A .223 might kill you, but a .308 would literally blow your head off."

At one point in the book he described a police officer in a patrol car rushing to the get into the chase of the robbers taking rifle fire from almost a mile away from the robber's .308.
    Absolutely could not happen given the ballistics of the .308, given it was an open sighted gun, and given that the robbers could not have possibly gotten a line of sight on a police car in urban terrain at anywhere near this distance.

The author obviously knew nothing about guns. But reading this, I wonder what other mistakes the author made regarding the account of the robbery, or what he may have made up.

Ordered the book. Didn't know it was out there, so thanks for putting it out. Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know of there are similar books out on the 1997 North Hollywood robbery, the 1986 Miami FBI gun battle, or the 2014 Stockton Bank robbery?

Quote Originally Posted by MRW View Post
    Ordered the book. Didn't know it was out there, so thanks for putting it out. Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know of there are similar books out on the 1997 North Hollywood robbery, the 1986 Miami FBI gun battle, or the 2014 Stockton Bank robbery?
    Ed Mireles’ book on the Miami shootout:

https://www.amazon.com/Miami-Firefig...gateway&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by MRW View Post
    In the similar books category but not the incidents you mention...

Newhall Shooting
    Last edited by blues; 06-23-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    The movie "Rapid Fire" is OK and "based" on the events.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    In the similar books category but not the incidents you mention...

Newhall Shooting
    I hunted down a copy of that book. It's a very good read as well.

I bought the Norco book the other day, after a dinner conversation with a friend. I have noticed the same thing Ed did, regarding some over the top comments. I'll have to reserve judgement until I finish it, it had definitely set off my radar.

User Tag List